Ratings for the 3 games

Curtis Armada

Pat Onstad vs Guat (2)

– Partial fault on the 2nd Guat goal, he was caught out of position.

– Very shaky with ball clearance, distribution and communication with defence.

Pat Onstad vs Hondo (4)

– Did not cause any goal and he was not caught out of position.

– Still shaky with ball clearance, distribution and communication with defence.

Pat Onstad vs Costa (5)

– Made a lot of saves.

Pat Onstad Summary (5)

– Improved.

Jason deVos vs Hondo (7)

– Truly the team leader.

– Scored a nice goal.

– Solidified the defence.

– Made a couple of errors otherwise I would have rated Jason higher

Jason deVos Summary (7)

– We need Jason’s leadership.

Paul Stalteri vs Guat (1)

– Main cause on the 1st Guat goal.

– Clearly the worst match I've seen him play for Canada.

– I hope Paul recovers from his injury, still one of the premier players for Canada.

Paul Stalteri Summary (1)

– Truly a was a waste of his and the team’s time for the 1st 3 games.

Nevio Pizzolitto vs Guat (2)

– Main cause on the 2nd Guat goal.

– Inexperience and definitely not ready, I guess Yallop thought otherwise and it was costly.

Nevio Pizzolitto Summary (2)

– Needs lots of work.

Daniel Imhof vs Guat (3)

– Defended most of the game.

– Skills and finesse are not sharp but one of the better defensive mids of the team.

Daniel Imhof vs Hondo (5)

– Still one of the better defensive mids of the team.

– Definitely not an attacking mid by his brutal display of missing an open goal.

Daniel Imhof vs Costa (3)

– Covered and defended well

Daniel Imhof Summary (5)

– Still one of the better defensive mids of the team.

Ante Jazic vs Guat (3)

– Best defender out of the brutal back 4.

Ante Jazic vs Hondo (3)

– I rated Jazic’s play at 5 until that horrible pass that cost us the game.

Ante Jazic vs Costa (3)

– Got caught as much as he made good plays.

Ante Jazic Summary (3)

– Costly mistake made all the difference in my ratings.

Atiba Hutchinson vs Hondo (5)

– I know I’m a bit harsh on his rating but this rating was based on the position he played which isn’t his natural position.

– Decent debut at the back

Atiba Hutchinson vs Costa (3)

– Played well until Paul outmuscle him for that only goal

Atiba Hutchinson Summary (5)

– Will get more out of Hutch from midfield position

– Very good young prospect and a bright future.

Julian deGuzman vs Guat (4)

– Unfortunate injury just as he was taking charge in the mid

Julian deGuzman vs Hondo (6)

– DeGuz still does not fit into this team, cannot initiate attacks when you have to keep on defending

– The team basically had 2 mids (Imhoff def mid) and DeGuz cause the other mids are really forwards

– Gave away too many balls but also distributed the most service

Julian deGuzman vs Costa (4)

– Decent game apart from the 2 give aways that Dobson emphasized

Julian deGuzman Summary (6)

– Not an attacking mid, DeGuz still does not fit into this team.

Tomasz Radzinski vs Hond (8)

– Created most our offensive attacks.

– I’m impressed how he came back a helped out defensively.

– Worked hard.

– Basically worked alone at front ‘cause Pesch was nowhere to be found.

Tomasz Radzinski vs Costa (4)

– Tomasz basically was the lone front

Tomasz Radzinski Summary (7)

– Tomasz is not only our most lethal weapon, he is our top player.

Paul Peschisolido vs Guat (1)

– Invincible, Useless, Ineffective, Garbage, etc….

– Sorry to be so harsh but Pesch is a terrible starting forward and did little to convince me

Paul Peschisolido vs Hond (1)

– No change, Still Invincible, Useless, Ineffective, Garbage, etc….

– Why did Pesch start again after a woeful performance vs Guats?

Paul Peschisolido Summary (1)

– Nothing against the guy but his performance speak for itself

– Team played better without Pesch

Dwayne de Rosario vs Guat (3)

– Indecisiveness is his biggest weakness

– Poor service to the box

– Gave away too many balls

– Rated very low based on his performance

– Definitely not a winger nor a midfielder

Dwayne de Rosario vs Hondo (4)

– A little better outing vs Hondo

– Does not know how to position himself on support and attack, again not a flank nor a midfielder

– Spent more time defending which is not his forte

Dwayne de Rosario vs Costa (3)

– Gave away as much as he created

Dwayne de Rosario Summary (4)

– Unpredictable and sometimes frustrating to watch

Mark Watson vs Guat (2)

– No Surprise, too slow, too old and beaten too many times.

– Time to retire

Mark Watson vs Hond (4)

– Played better, not sure if its because of Jason’s support

– Still too slow, too old and beaten too many times.

Mark Watson vs Costa (1)

– Too slow to cover for Atiba

Mark Watson Summary (3)

– It’s time to retire

Josh Simpson vs Guat (2)

– Over hyped due to the performance for the B team.

– Inexperienced and definitely not ready

Josh Simpson vs Hond (3)

– Had a better outing and not as nervous.

– Still inexperienced and definitely not ready

Josh Simpson vs Costa (3)

– Had a lot of energy, didn’t make any mistakes and wasn’t as nervous

Josh Simpson Summary (3)

– Skills need improving.

– Good international exposure but not ready

– Still young and has lots of potential

Jaime Peters vs Guat (3)

– Good debut lots of enthusiasm.

– Inexperience, not ready and defensively need improving.

Jaime Peters vs Guat (2)

– Showed inexperience.

– Need to develop before participating with the National team.

Jaime Peters vs Costa (3)

– Brought energy to the tired legs

Jaime Peters Summary (3)

– He’s no Rooney nor Ronaldinho

– Need to develop before participating with the MNT

Olivier Occean vs Guat (4)

– Skills and Finishing needs work.

– Made his presence known with Guat defense

Olivier Occean vs Hondo (5)

– Made most of his little time

Olivier Occean vs Costa (3)

– He will be a force in the future

Olivier Occean Summary (5)

– He’s needs to develop his skills and finishing

– Still young and lots of potential in the future

Adrian Serioux vs Guat (4)

– Energized the midfield, not sure whether Guats were more concerned about protecting their lead

Adrian Serioux Summary (5)

– Another good midfield prospect

Iain Hume vs Hondo (5)

– Works hard

– Does not know how to position himself so that defender can overlap, again not a flank nor a midfielder

– Inconsistency is his biggest weakness; poor service 1st half better 2nd half

– Defending is another weakness

Iain Hume vs Costa (3)

– Again, a lot of inconsistency in his game

Iain Hume Summary (4)

– I would think that we’ll get out a lot more out of Iain playing forward

Gervais Summary (2)

– Not a bad outing, played better on the first half

Grande Summary (3)

– Started to settle in the 2nd half, don’t know why he was subbed. I guess Yallop wanted to play everyone

Yallop Summary (0)

Yallop underestimated Guatamela and Yallop misjudged the talent Pool and as a result your Player Selection was poor.

I would take Nsaliwa, Kluka, Bircham, Menezes, McKenna and Brennan over Pizziloto, Pesch, Simpson, Watson, Gervais, Grande and Peters any day. This costly mistake would have prevented sticking forwards Hume and Dwayne in mid and dropping a mid players such as Hutch into defence. We have talented forwards and we have talented mids. You start the weakest forward and stick the rest of the forwards in the mid which further weakens the mids. The flat 4-4-2 formation is futile because you really have 4 forwards 2 natural mids and mids playing defence. The team look disorganized just as your player selection. The results speak for itself and there’s no one to blame but YOU.

I agree with many of your ratings Cutis! I think Bircham when healthy should replace Imhof, and i believe we need another ball winner such as Serioux in the middle! i think Hume or DeRosario should play beside Rad! I think you're way too harsh on Watson, he didn't do a whole lot wrong considering he was foeced into a starting role when he is way past his prime! He's answered the bell for Canada many of times! Any thoughts?

quote:Originally posted by Canadienfan

5 or 6 for Onstad tonight was fair. Problem was we needed a 10 from him!

What more did you want from him? He kept us in the game the entire night.

Pat deserves at least an 8 for his performance tonight.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I want him to do all that is humanly possible to stop all goals. And I think Pat did that to the best of his abilities so your probaly right it was more like an 8. He could have been better on back passes and perhaps committing and positioning.

On another point I wonder how the effect on the team as Captain Pat has?(I'm not saying whether it's been positive or negative just wondering)

I didn't like that De Rosario was so much back in defense, isn't he a forward, it was as if we were playing with an extra defender. I wouldn't be surprised if De Rosario spent at least 50% of his playing time in defense. We need more people up front. To expect to win a game when we only get two shots on target is not going to happen. I was impressed with Grande, he looked quite at home. The rest of the squad I think played well although I have some reservations about Jazic, he looked nervous and unsure and he almost screwed it up again a couple of times.

The subtitions did not add anything. I am sure Yallop is doing all he can but at times I think he is just too goody goody. Where can we find more effective and skilled players up front, that is a good question. Considering that we had a lot of posesion, perhaps more than ever before, don't you think that we should have had more shots on target. Probably the ratio of shots on target was something like 10 to 1 for Costa Rica. Pretty tough to win like that.

Forrest comments were good and realistic. However I did not appreciated when he took shots at the Women team. After all they finished fourth in the W.C. No comparison.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Not much more you could ask from my vantage point. Onstad may not be a world class keeper in the vein of Forrest, but he made some terrific saves tonight.

Hard to be positive after the last 3 games.

I agree that there were mistakes by Yallop in selecting the squad, but I like the fact he was giving the young guys a shot. I do think that as a team we underestimated Guatemala and it just went downhill from there.

Biggest disappointments:

Pesch-Watson no gas in the tank

Onstad-beyond poor against Guatemala, below average against Honduras (I hate to admit he was really good against Costa Rica though)

We did not test ANY keeper in ANY game.

The play of the back line in every game(Guatemala the worst)

Poor officiating in Edmonton and poor field conditions in Edmonton(I feel really bad for Jazic)

Positives:

Not much. Oh our uniforms looked great and we moved the ball around well for

0 minutes against Guatemala

about 25 minutes against Honduras

about 75 minutes against Costa Rica

Unfortunately we played our best against Costa Rica who I think look the best team in the group.

quote:Originally posted by gator

I agree with many of your ratings Cutis! I think Bircham when healthy should replace Imhof, and i believe we need another ball winner such as Serioux in the middle! i think Hume or DeRosario should play beside Rad! I think you're way too harsh on Watson, he didn't do a whole lot wrong considering he was foeced into a starting role when he is way past his prime! He's answered the bell for Canada many of times! Any thoughts?

My ratings from 1-10 is as follows;

Loss is usually between 1-5, any higher you would have had an exceptional game.

Tie is usually between 3-8 and a win is usually 5-10.

I thought Pat had a good game and Watson was to slow to cover for Atiba's lost challenge.

I was unfair to Radz rating because we basically had 1 forward and he didn't get that many service.

I hate to say it but Watson and Onstad were pretty reliable and solid back there last night. The only guy who certainly has to be left off the team from now on is Pesch. No point at all wasting that bench seat on his small frame. Time to try Kappos or Friend or someone else of comporable youth, size, and or potential.

Julian in particular played like a drunken stepfather the past two games- absolutely unpredictable and sometimes dangerous, but never really in enough control of his own bodily functions to do any serious damage.

DeGuzman was great in Honduras, but perhaps out of position. Once again, I am now of the mind that Stalteri MUST come back into the midfield. We've called him our ENGINE for long enough, we know what he can do in the midfield, and if anything his pace and work rate and strength creates problems for the opposition, and often gives us good options moving forward. His passing is not GREAT, but he is very good and will still improve. DeGuzman would be deadly on the left side, where he plays often and seems most comfortable. Playing in the centre of mid is perhaps one of the toughest positions to adjust to if you've never played there before. I played as an outright striker for the first 15 years of my soccer life, then switched to an attacking midfielder role, and it took a good deal of time to adjust. My teammates who tried to play that position could NOT do so. Julian is awesome, but he's young and should be on the left side.

Midfield of the future:

DeGuzman Stalteri Hutch (or Serioux) Peters

Hume and DeRo MUST play up front, and with Ocean will become our strike force of the future--with other young talents pushing for game time, too.

Like somebody said, we need to solve the back four and move from there. I have no idea of what the near future looks like for our back four. Is Jazic young enough to be vital come 2008 qualifying. I suspect we'll have Simpson, Brennan, and Kluka available on the left side instead. On the right? Nsaliwa, Bent ?? Down the middle--without DeVos?? Scary thought. Maybe Hutch and Kluka, McKenna?

Damn I'm tired.

Fire Yallop now. Put Mitchell in charge with 2010 qualifying in mind. Leave Hume in England for now. Nobody over 25 on the team for the last 3 games.

18 man roster for the rest of the series

Hirschfeld - Begovic.

Hutchison, Klukowski, Nsaliwa, Richer, Arango, Peznecker.

Canizales, de Guzman (2), DiTullio, Simpson, Ledgerwood,

Occean, Gerba, Hughes, Gyaki.

Why should Hume play upfront? Iain Hume, as much as I love him, is not a goal scorer. His record up front is less than flattering; this is why he was moved to the midfield at Tranmere in the first place.

Is this the way it's going to be? We all scoff at the way we overestimated talent this time around, only for us to do the exact same thing starting now?

It didn't work out in the midfield so Hume *must* be the answer up front. It didn't work out in the back, so Stalteri *obviously* belongs in the middle. DeGuz wasn't the phenom he was expected to be in the centre, so it's apparent we've all been neglecting his incredible natural talent by holding him out of his *real* God-given position on the wing.

It always seems we just keep going in circles. One game this guy is a perfect supersub, the next we all rethink that and decide he's suited for the middle. Another game we all settle on the idea of someone being our perfect fullback, only to panic at the sight of a loss and decide that the key to us reaching the top 10 is to put that man in the middle.

There is no consistency in our thinking. It seems there's no willingness on the part of the V's to bite our tongues and stick with with a plan. We're all so Goddamn reactionary.

Guarenteed, two years from now (Gold Cup, friendlies, whenever), if Hume is put up front, we'll all be crying for him to be put back in the middle where his real talent is.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Fire Yallop now. Put Mitchell in charge with 2010 qualifying in mind. Leave Hume in England for now. Nobody over 25 on the team for the last 3 games.

Hirschfeld - Begovic.

For christ sakes Ed no more Canadian managers, they can't handle the job, Yallop has proven that, Europe or South America is the only way to go.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

It always seems we just keep going in circles. One game this guy is a perfect supersub, the next we all rethink that and decide he's suited for the middle. Another game we all settle on the idea of someone being our perfect fullback, only to panic at the sight of a loss and decide that the key to us reaching the top 10 is to put that man in the middle.

There is no consistency in our thinking. It seems there's no willingness on the part of the V's to bite our tongues and stick with with a plan. We're all so Goddamn reactionary.

You're right, but it's not just the fans. I'm exaggerating a bit, but, in my opinion, this is basically what the CSA and Yallop have been doing.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Hirschfeld - Begovic.

If we're going with these guys, we might as well give Felix Brillant and Stephen Ademolu a run out as well, along with Rob Friend.

Archived