Fire Yallop now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luis_Rancagua

quote:Originally posted by Chet

Yallop should have been fired eight months ago. If a coach can't get you to the World Cup in his first week on the job then, for god's sake, replace him with someone who can. There have to be at least 208 guys who could do a better job than Yallop between now and the next WCQ.

Dude, where's your smiley emoticon? (Some of us may not get the sarcasm [?])

I must admit that a month ago I would have thought a thread like this completely insane. I'm one of those Liverpool fans who still wasn't sure that Houllier absolutely needed to be dropped. Constant rotation of the manager is not good for building continuity in any program. But...

Three games, one goal, one point, basically eliminated.

Managers have been fired all over the world for far, far less.

I liked Frank as a choice. I thought he brought an exciting new approach to the team that we'd never really seen in Canada before. His success in MLS seemed like a hopeful harbinger of good things to come.

That said he has failed. Pretty much as badly as you can fail in his position. There are plenty of mitigating factors that must be considered (though the horrendous reffing against Honduras shouldn't be one of them... all in all we weren't much better than them if at all). Most important have to be player absences and lack of preperation. But did he suceed in getting the best out of the players available? Seems hard to say yes.

So, while I won't go so far as to call for Frank's resignation I do think that some slack should be given to those who question whether it is appropriate for him to continue as MNT manager. As I said above: a month ago this discussion would have been crazy but results have a tendency of changing one's perception.

Mike.

p.s. Hope we get at least one win from this round to hang our "what could have been" hats on.

Meh...Had we not been screwed over by a referee and not had a momentary lapse, we'd be at 4 points and I think that everyone would be comfortable with Yallop's managing of the team. It's not always the coach's fault I guess is what I'm saying.

Alex

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

I must admit that a month ago I would have thought a thread like this completely insane. I'm one of those Liverpool fans who still wasn't sure that Houllier absolutely needed to be dropped. Constant rotation of the manager is not good for building continuity in any program. But...

Three games, one goal, one point, basically eliminated.

Managers have been fired all over the world for far, far less.

I liked Frank as a choice. I thought he brought an exciting new approach to the team that we'd never really seen in Canada before. His success in MLS seemed like a hopeful harbinger of good things to come.

That said he has failed. Pretty much as badly as you can fail in his position. There are plenty of mitigating factors that must be considered (though the horrendous reffing against Honduras shouldn't be one of them... all in all we weren't much better than them if at all). Most important have to be player absences and lack of preperation. But did he suceed in getting the best out of the players available? Seems hard to say yes.

So, while I won't go so far as to call for Frank's resignation I do think that some slack should be given to those who question whether it is appropriate for him to continue as MNT manager. As I said above: a month ago this discussion would have been crazy but results have a tendency of changing one's perception.

Mike.

p.s. Hope we get at least one win from this round to hang our "what could have been" hats on.

quote:Originally posted by canso

Subbing out Iain Hume was the final straw for me. For the next ten years, Hume should be on the field for every minute of every game Canada plays. end of discussion.

I thought after Iain got that ball right in the face, he wasn't looking himself. Although, we could have really used him on those corners near the end.

Since we have put a terrible investment into Yallop in terms of learning experience - and you do learn from mistakes, I think firing him now would be insane. I think he has made mistakes, in selection particualarly. I think the Belieze squad was the strongest most adapatable team Canada has called in this qualifying round and trust that Frank is at least in the process fo figuring this out. And I refuse to assume we are out of it until we are out of it. This thread is at least one game premature.

We can't start over in the middle of the qualifying round(s).

Give Frank the benefit of the doubt and let him run the team through the next Gold Cup. That will be an adequate test of whether he's the man or whether he's in over his head.

So far, based on his team selection and substitutions, I'd say he's playing his way off the team!

Nevertheless, let's let him have a run.

Yes, this is a retarded thread at this point, but look who started it. (I do not detest Luis, but I wish he'd be a bit more reserved and rational in his posting. It is either all gold or all shi.te in his world.)

Yallop is not going anywhere just quite yet. Even when he was hired he made it clear that he'd do his best to get us into the World Cup this go around, but that it was late in the day for preparation and that he'd need time to put HIS stamp on this team. He needs a couple of years to do his thing: if he fails after the next world cup qualifying, then he'll be gone, I assure you. Mind you, just getting to the hex would be a massive success for us, so be sure you all know what to expect realistically. (See Jeffrey's posts).

One more thing: Our opponents played numerous friendlies PRIOR to this round of qualifying, and feel confident that with these 3 games behind us, our lads will play the best game of the qualifying rounds versus Honduras in October. i won't be silly and predict a result, but we'll see a much better game, I'm sure. Don't give up yet, lads. Wouldn't we all look shi.tty if our boys won the next three and advanced to the next round? What sort of fans would we be then?

quote:Originally posted by Whither Canada

We can't start over in the middle of the qualifying round(s).

Give Frank the benefit of the doubt and let him run the team through the next Gold Cup. That will be an adequate test of whether he's the man or whether he's in over his head.

So far, based on his team selection and substitutions, I'd say he's playing his way off the team!

Nevertheless, let's let him have a run.

I don't think the people on this board who want Yallop fired want it done now. Obviously it would be a bit rash to do it with at least one glimmer of hope game left.

Personally, I think he should go if we don't make it. My main reason is the CSA has often stayed with coaches long after their best before date. Bobby L was in way too long, as was Holger, IMO.

As for Yallop hanging around for the GC, I could care less. That tournament has seriously diminished in my eyes. It is really a second rate tournament that is often passed over by the best players (including our own). History has shown that doing well in that tournament does not translate to success in qualifying.

Also, the Gold Cup is a year away. The next WCQ is four years away. However well our team does this time around in the Gold Cup, you won't see a lot of these players in the next WCQ (if they show up), so will it really mean anything? Maybe rankings. Here are some player’s ages in 2008 (the next qualifying).

Brennan 31

Radzinski 35

Devos 34

Stalteri 31

Menezes 34

Imhof 31

Jazic 32

Peschisolido 37

Bircham 30

Rosario 30

Do we go with these guys in the GC, or start with the youth who will be of age next WCQ? Will these guys care about the national team anymore seeing as this was probably their last shot at the World Cup? Will they want to risk their places on their club teams for an association that makes them fly coach. Will they want to help with WCQ knowing that they probably won’t play? I wouldn't hold it against them if they didn't. I don't think anyone has to be blindly patriotic especially when they are continually thrown to the wolves.

quote:Originally posted by canso

Subbing out Iain Hume was the final straw for me. For the next ten years, Hume should be on the field for every minute of every game Canada plays. end of discussion.

I got the sense that Hume was tired by the 2nd half. He has the talent to run at players with the ball but he spent much of his time in the late 1st & early 2nd half trying to pull a Richard Hastings special and connect with a 50 yard hoofing pass to our lone striker. That suggests to me he was tired. His substitution was definitely the right thing to do at that time.

I am more calm now and am no longer asking for Yallop's head. In honesty I have never met the guy, have not seen what he coaches and don't know what he thinks. If there is to be any consideration as to terminating his contract prematurely, it should not be the result of past mistakes if we can call them that, but should be based on whether he has demonstrated that he can coach the team to better and greater things or not. Until we are in or out, Yallop ought to remain as coach. He has not endeangered the safety of the players or shown cause violating his contract. After that, then the CSA needs to do an evaluation of his performance after one year and sit down with him to discuss his strenghs and weaknesses.

Archived