Costa Rica vs. Canada not on live in the West?

Moosehead

Yes, they made a change. I checked all their schedules yesterday and the match was definitely listed on both West Digital and East Digital, but now for some reason it no longer appears on East Digital. Since West Digital cannot be seen in the West, people in that region cannot see the game live. That's absurd. I don't understand what Sportsnet is doing.

The other thing is that there is absolutely no mention of the game on Sportsnet's front page nor on their main soccer page. The only thing related to Canada is Ben Knight's article. There is an EPL poll, a bunch of articles on WCQ from Europe, and even an NHL lockout counter (on the soccer page???). This is ridiculous.

Yes, hopefully for people in the West they just made a mistake on their site (though I don't understand why they'd change it from correct to incorrect). But, regardless, Sportsnet deserve grief over all this.

Hey, Ben (Knight), here's a follow-up to your last article: "Sportsnet shame".

THIS IS NOT FUNNY PEOPLE! NOT THAT ANYBODY HERE CARES BUT I CANCELLED A PRIOR COMMITMENT JUST TO WATCH THIS GAME LIVE AND NOT AT 2 IN THE FLIPPING MORNING. THEY BETTER SHOW IT LIVE. IF IT'S NOT ON I WILL HAVE TO KILL SOMEBODY. THAT MEXICAN REF WILL DO.

Sorry. I just had to vent after I read this. Half an hour to go. I really need to find something to do before I go crazy.

According to Sportsnet.ca the game is only on Sportsnet West Digital. Which as somebody else pointed out you can not get if you live in the prairies. Maybe on illegal satellite?

The repeat is on across the country on all digital channels and local channels at 2 a.m. EST, 1 a.m. cental, 12 mountain, and 11 pacific, again according to the most recent Sportsnet.ca listings.

Not showing the game in the prairies makes no sense!

If you get your digital feeds via cable, the local Sportsnet in the west, ch. 27 in Calgary for example, is still analog. The digital stations start at 55 and up.

F*ing joke.

Once again we have been screwed over by those idiots at sportsnet!

Once again we are second fiddle to an american sport that RSN thinks has such a huge following up here, its just part of the mix of baseball, NASCAR and golf that does this to canadian soccer. How do they ever think that the game will get proper ratings if they pull thinkgs like this?

The thinkgs that bugs me the most is that there was a bulliten right after the Honduras broadcast saying it would be on in the west.

Perhaps a massive email campaign to sportsnet is in order!

I will never support the Blue Jays again.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

So, out of interest, who in Sportsnet's West region (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, NWT, Nunavut) is getting the game live? On what channel? Who is your provider?

I had no problem watching the game on Sportsnet West. I live in Calgary and have Star Choice satellite service.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

If you get your digital feeds via cable, the local Sportsnet in the west, ch. 27 in Calgary for example, is still analog. The digital stations start at 55 and up.

F*ing joke.

Yes, that's the case in Ontario as well. However, in Ontario Rogers gives you the "Sports" pack which includes Fox Sports World and Sportsnet Pacific, West, Ontario and East. These channels start in the 150's ...

All in all I think it's worth paying the extra few $ for FSW and the Sportsnet channels.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Yes, that's the case in Ontario as well. However, in Ontario Rogers gives you the "Sports" pack which includes Fox Sports World and Sportsnet Pacific, West, Ontario and East. These channels start in the 150's ...

All in all I think it's worth paying the extra few $ for FSW and the Sportsnet channels.

But in Ontario, through Rogers, we do not get Sportsnet Ontario Digital. So if this game was shown on Sportsnet Ontario Digital we would not have seen it. This is what happened to some people in the West, because they get the West local feed, not digital feed (that's what Ed was saying).

However, evidently it depends on who your provider is. Obviously StarChoice gives their customers their own region's digital feed. I was not aware that this was the case, that's why I had previously posted that if you're in the West then you were out of luck.

I suppose Rogers thought that it's not necessary to give us the digital feed from our own region because they did not foresee Sportsnet using the digital feeds in this manner. Though the irony is that Rogers owns Sportsnet! Rogers should really give us all the digital feeds (I think I'll write to them), but the real fault in this case is Sportsnet's. They should have had the game on two different digital feeds, which would have ensured that everyone got to see it. (I'll write to them, too, and so should everyone who's upset by this. I really don't think this is an issue like "we want more soccer" or "we don't want commercials", which are difficult to solve.)

Thanks to the respondents who have StarChoice. But I'd like to hear from others with other providers. I don't even know who all the providers are in the West region. So please let me know if you tried to watch the game live and whether or not you were able to, and which provider you have. Thanks.

Archived