Bobby McMahon's take on Canada vs. Honduras

Rivaldo

On the FSW Report last night Bobby said he disagreed with both of the crucial calls but made some interesting points:

On the penalty:

- From the replays, he couldn't say for certain that Watson didn't make contact with Suazo, but it didn't look like it to him.

- Suazo didn't appear to be calling for a penalty after going down, implying that it wasn't

- The referee was a long way from the play, starting from the Costa Rican half when Jazic made the backpass.

On the Occean goal:

- Latin American referees will make the call anytime you show your studs

- There was no foul but the Honduran defender went down like he was shot

- The whistle went immediately and the Hondurans stopped. If play had continued the keeper might have had a slim chance of making a stop.

As usual, he highlighted a few things that most missed.

Bobby Mac hates the Cdn program and the mens team. (seems like it to me).

Re: the penalty, he missed the grinning Honduran which should have proved to him that the bugger dived / slipped and no penalty should have been awarded.

Re: Occean, he did say that ref's will whistle when studs are shown but he correctly noted that no studs were.

It would be nice if FSW had trotted out hector Vegara (sp? you know, the linesman from Wpg who officiated the WC and who has sat in for Bobby a few times). It would neat to see Michelle ask him why the rotten so and so ref cheated.

Great points, shaku & rivaldo! Saw the same broadcast and the exact reaction.

He called the calls very harsh and just short of being robbed. His reaction

was as expected considering CONCACAF refs, including the USA-ES game.

Too bad Hector Vergara wasn't there, but that would be in poor form, considering

he's also a CONCACAF ref. What I want to know is that why did FIFA/CONCACAF insist that

the Jumbotron not show any replays at Commonwealth ... Did they know something?

The Honduran keeper kept playing & had no chance on the shot by the way he went down. If the whistle hadn't gone the only Honduran player who would have been in position to try and stop the shot was the loser who dove to the ground like he was shot, and he took himself out of the play.

It was a goal all of the way. If the Mexican Ref doesn't like studs up why didn't he call the blatant studs-up dangerous kick that DeRo was victimized on 9 minutes into the first half.

Yeah he was a long way off when he made the call. That was one of the first things that struck me when the call was made, because I heard he whistle, saw the Canadian players react and couldn't find the ref, then saw him sprinting into the box pointing to the spot. I don't think Suazo dove, he was in a great position to score, he just fell on his face like Watson did.

Though there is no excusing the OO disallowed goal, we caught a break in the first half when he blew for a foul on DeVos in the box (after Guevara hit the bar) when he hyper-extended his knee without contact.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Though there is no excusing the OO disallowed goal, we caught a break in the first half when he blew for a foul on DeVos in the box (after Guevara hit the bar) when he hyper-extended his knee without contact.

How is that a break - the resulting shot was blocked by Atiba anyway and the ball ended up in Onstad's hands - and that's assuming it wasn't a legit. foul on de Vos.

Archived