Which country to Root for?

massimo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Born and bred in England. Moved to Canada when I was thirty, ten years ago.

Who would I cheer for if England played Canada ?

No question, it would be Canada. I like to see England do well. But my home is now Canada. How could I tell my four year old son it is ok to say "Go Canada Go" when we all support our Hockey team at the World Cup/Olympics but then turn round and cheer against Canada just becuase they are playing the country I was born in.

quote:Originally posted by runner

Born and bred in England. Moved to Canada when I was thirty, ten years ago.

Who would I cheer for if England played Canada ?

No question, it would be Canada. I like to see England do well. But my home is now Canada. How could I tell my four year old son it is ok to say "Go Canada Go" when we all support our Hockey team at the World Cup/Olympics but then turn round and cheer against Canada just becuase they are playing the country I was born in.

Runner,

I couldn't put it better if I tried. I wish more people would think like you, but obviously that ain't the case.

What Daniel and amacpher said is correct. Let's use Jeffrey S. as an example, if he doesn't mind. He's been living in Spain a long time and is raising a family there. Yet when Canada played Spain in the U20 WC quarterfinals, he supported Canada. No one here had a problem with him doing that. But let's say the situation was reversed, let's say he was from Spain and came here to raise a family, then cheered for Spain against Canada --- most people here would have criticised him. That's not right.

I think if you have spent "a significant amount of time" living in another country and truly "identify" with that country (I won't define those terms in quotes, but I think you get my point), and then move to Canada, it's okay to cheer for that country against Canada. However, I think in that case you should also show some support for Canada in that particular game (certainly not boo Canada), and then cheer for Canada in all other games.

I think the real problem is not when immigrants cheer for their home country, and it's not even when they cheer for their home country against Canada, it's when they don't ever cheer for Canada (or maybe even boo Canada) or support Canadian soccer. I know my grandfather, who has been living here for about half his life now, would probably cheer for Italy over Canada, but otherwise he definitely cheers for Canada (even our women's teams, and older Italian men supporting women's sports is not common to say the least!), and I'm okay with that.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I think the real problem is not when immigrants cheer for their home country, and it's not even when they cheer for their home country against Canada, it's when they don't ever cheer for Canada (or maybe even boo Canada) or support Canadian soccer. I know my grandfather, who has been living here for about half his life now, would probably cheer for Italy over Canada, but otherwise he definitely cheers for Canada (even our women's teams, and older Italian men supporting women's sports is not common to say the least!), and I'm okay with that.

DJT,

I can understand immigrants who come to Canada for a better life yet still support the old country's team.

But what I don't understand is those who are born here, yet still support other countries.

I can use some of my friends (who are of italian descent) as an example. They are all soccer fans and play soccer regularly. I ask them to watch a Canadian international match. They give me this weird look, like are you crazy or something??

Yet they all support the Italian team. This is what I don't understand.

quote:Originally posted by massimo

DJT,

I can understand immigrants who come to Canada for a better life yet still support the old country's team.

But what I don't understand is those who are born here, yet still support other countries.

I can use some of my friends (who are of italian descent) as an example. They are all soccer fans and play soccer regularly. I ask them to watch a Canadian international match. They give me this weird look, like are you crazy or something??

Yet they all support the Italian team. This is what I don't understand.

This is what I was trying to say in one my ramblings above. I don't really care if people cheer against Canada (well I do, but anyways). My problem is with people who won't cheer for Canada when "their" country is not playing. Like I said about all those Greek "fans", nobody I know in my extended family watches Canadian soccer. Like you said, I also get weird looks from them when I mention either the national team or national team players or local pro clubs. What I'm trying to say is that they are not soccer fans, but are just out there to have a good time.

AHHHH Less than an hour to go. I'm going to pull out the last 3 hairs I have. I need something to do. GO CANADA GO

Yes, I agree with you, massimo and Elias, and experience the same thing as you guys. I think we are saying the same thing.

But I know, based on past discussions, that many people here think that when someone immigrates to Canada they should now support Canada over their old country. I used to agree with that, but have since changed my mind. I was just commenting about this situation in general, not disagreeing with what you said.

Why are you people from the United Klowndom and colonies (Ireland) here?

It's like Canadians going to British Ice Hockey Forums?

Just joking people [:P] The more the merrier (sp?)

But seriously, unless you guys are in Canada and just put in your profile UK, etc., why are guys here? Just wondering.

quote:Originally posted by Billy the Bluenose

dont want your support anyway mate ;) [}:)]

Have you ever stopped to wonder why the rest of the world hates Engurland and their notorious hooligan supporters?

Not just the Scots, Welsh, Irish etc.

Everyone, execpt the Americans. :D

elias, we are here for more info on canadian players, we have two and a third is on the way hopefully.[}:)]

and bluenose why is it as soon as someone disagrees with you they are instantly a hooligan eh,and i bet you are just another glory hunter up in scotland just like all the celtic and rangers fans i bet you live in aberdeen or something. c'mon you jags.:D

quote:Originally posted by TOMLION

and bluenose why is it as soon as someone disagrees with you they are instantly a hooligan eh,and i bet you are just another glory hunter up in scotland just like all the celtic and rangers fans i bet you live in aberdeen or something. c'mon you jags.:D

Typical sassinack attitude!! [xx(]

quote:and i bet you are just another glory hunter up in scotland

Gloryhunter? Now you show your ignorance, chump! Not only were my team knocked out of the Champs League in the qualifier, but they are also 4th in the League behind Septic, the Sheep (aberdeen) and Kilmarnock! And you have the cheek to call me a gloryhunter?? Get it right dozy. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:just like all the celtic and rangers fans i bet you live in aberdeen or something.

Nice try dumbo! I'm from Glasgow, born and bred. And what team do you support and whats your geographical positioning in regards to your team? You obviously consider this a huge aspect of supporting a team. So by your reckoning should all Man U fans climb back under the rocks they came from?

quote:c'mon you jags

icon_lol.gifA-HAHAHAHAHA.

to reply to that would be too easy!

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Why are you people from the United Klowndom and colonies (Ireland) here?

It's like Canadians going to British Ice Hockey Forums?

Just joking people [:P] The more the merrier (sp?)

But seriously, unless you guys are in Canada and just put in your profile UK, etc., why are guys here? Just wondering.

I used to live in Toronto, Ontario a while back. Now i consider myself a Part-Time Canuck. [8D]

certainly hit a raw nerve there m8 didn't i,i knew you were from glasgow as it says so under your name derr,and shows i'm right when you consider finishing fourth a failure, most teams would be happy with that.

as to my geographical positition to the team i support i was born 5 mins walk away from millwall hence why i support them i now live about five miles away from the den and i go regular home and away.

and shock of all shocks i agree with you on something all manure supporters should crawl under the rocks they came from.[}:)]:D

quote:Originally posted by TOMLION

certainly hit a raw nerve there m8 didn't i,i knew you were from glasgow as it says so under your name derr,and shows i'm right when you consider finishing fourth a failure, most teams would be happy with that.

as to my geographical positition to the team i support i was born 5 mins walk away from millwall hence why i support them i now live about five miles away from the den and i go regular home and away.

and shock of all shocks i agree with you on something all manure supporters should crawl under the rocks they came from.[}:)]:D

The seasons still on going so all still to play for with only 5 games played and another 31 remaining.

I hope we get you lot in the UEFA Cup group stage, it'd make for an interesting fixture!!! Would you make the jaunt up to Ibrox that being the case?

as for ManUre supporters, well. . . . gloryhunting scum . . . . . .nuff said!!!

Archived