Which country to Root for?

massimo

Being from Italian descent, I find myself thinking a which country should I be rooting for?

Obviously the answer for me is Canada.

However, going to the bar (Champs in Mtl) to watch the Canada vs. Honduras match and realized that there are so many Honduran-Candians rooting for Honduras!

That brings me to my next point, If there would be a match Italy vs. Canada, which would I root for?

My answer is again Canada.

I view Italy like an ex-girlfriend, and Canada as a wife.

Rooting for the old country over the country you currently live in is simply obsured! What do you think?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny, I was having this discussion this morning with somebody. This one is tough. It would hurt to be honest. Being of Hellenic descent, as in Albanian-losing-Euro-Champs (MORONS), I really don't know.

I remember Greece played Canada at Varsity in the late 80's I believe but I was pretty young and wasn't paying too much attention. Besides, all the fights in the stands between the Greeks were much more exciting.

I'll admit, when Greece played Canada in the world basketball championship, I cheered for Greece. But I really hate basketball, and I think it was more of an anti-basketball-in-Canada cheer, hey, I'm trying okay. [:P]

As long as Greece plays Canada in the World Cup final, I'll be happy. KD with ouzo, the meal of the soccer gods. Hell, I'll be happy if even one of them qualifies.

I just put myself in the Costa Rican, Honduran, Guatelmalean shoes (or anyone else for that matter) and I say to myself 'am I Canadian or am I Costa Rican. Well I'm Candian so I root for Canada.

A person may be of Costa Rican descent, but I live in Canada and I'm a Canadian citizen so I root for Canada. If everyone would think as I do, Canadian Football would be so much bigger than it currently is, but I guess I'm dreaming now!

It's not that simple. It's not war. And using that argument about were one lives, that means if I live in Toronto, I can't cheer for a Vancouver team?

The main problem is that soccer is the only sport that immigrants brought over. Nobody over here really follows any other sport in the "old-country" besides soccer. So it's more of a cultural thing than anything. If watching grass grow was the national sport, which seems to be in Italy, watching how they play soccer (the Greeks just perfected it [:P] ), then that is what people would watch.

An other problem I've noticed, is that for the most part, it's only the poor and middle class immigrants who get involved with soccer, the ones who strike it rich get involved in "Canadian" sports like hockey and football.

And actually, I think the real main problem (I've never been good with lists), is that there is no Canadian soccer to talk about. If we had an established league, with games every week, and players and coaches and strategies, I think things would be different.

its very hard to decide. Someone wrote am I a canadian or a Costa Rican. Well the thing is that yes I am a canadian citizen but on the other hand I'm also a citizen of Poland. The only positive I guess is that Canada does not play Poland on a daily basis so I can cheer for both teams and get away with it. So far I'm glad that I dont have to make a choice on who to cheer for.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

And actually, I think the real main problem (I've never been good with lists), is that there is no Canadian soccer to talk about. If we had an established league, with games every week, and players and coaches and strategies, I think things would be different.

Doubtful. Look at the U.S.A.

People are starting to take an interest in MLS. People know there are teams in the cities where there are teams, people have heard of Freddy Adu, of the HDC and the rivalry with Chivas will bring in a bunch of people who root for and against them and the intensity of a derby.

It's not about him being good enough. It's about:

a) creating publicity (even those who barely know MLS know Freddy Adu or "the young kid making 500k")

B) keeping him in MLS to make some money: if he turns out half as good at 18 as he is at 14, the league will easily recoup it's investment

I think Polish Lynx fan hit it on the nose. As long as Canada never plays Italy, I do not really have to make a choice of who i am rooting for. It allows me to root for both teams. Plus i get the best of both worlds, i get to either root for an underdog or a underachiever.

quote:I think Polish Lynx fan hit it on the nose. As long as Canada never plays Italy, I do not really have to make a choice of who i am rooting for. It allows me to root for both teams. Plus i get the best of both worlds, i get to either root for an underdog or a underachiever.

yup same with me one is an underdog and the other underacheives. Hey wait I'm just going to rub one thing in Poland 3 Italy 1 (Friendly in Warsaw a couple months back :) )

quote:Originally posted by pgs

I think Polish Lynx fan hit it on the nose. As long as Canada never plays Italy, I do not really have to make a choice of who i am rooting for. It allows me to root for both teams. Plus i get the best of both worlds, i get to either root for an underdog or a underachiever.

I agree but the point I'm trying to make is that if there would be an encounter I would surely pick Canada.

That's why I don't really get these honduran fans, or other Central Americans rooting fo rthe old country.

quote:Originally posted by massimo

I agree but the point I'm trying to make is that if there would be an encounter I would surely pick Canada.

That's why I don't really get these honduran fans, or other Central Americans rooting fo rthe old country.

So if you went to Costa Rica for vacation this week or were over there for a Fall-semester internship or whatever, you would cheer for Costa Rica over Canada I guess. Right?

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

So if you went to Costa Rica for vacation this week or were over there for a Fall-semester internship or whatever, you would cheer for Costa Rica over Canada I guess. Right?

No I'd root for Canada.

I've been living here all my life. So I root for Canada, yet lots of people who live here, and young people who are born here root for a country that they think they know, but do not. I guess its because most people are scared of change!

It's weird if you ask me.

quote:Originally posted by Dante79

Massimo was there any people cheerin for Canada at the bar??

There were a few. I'd say 5-6 for Canada versus about 25-30 hodurans!

It was a blast. Really, emotional. It is hard not to feed off of everyone in there as they are root for their teams.

I think I'll be going there from now on to watch the games!! A 5$ entrance was well worth it!

Once again, it's not war. And more importantly, it's not about soccer. All those annoying little Greeks (and every other group) that celebrate every 2 years, won't support Canada when Canada plays other teams. What I mean is that from all the people I know that were out there on the Danforth (TO's Greektown) waving the Greek flags, not even 0.1% (1 in every 1 000) are watching Canada play soccer.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Put yourself in another country. Say you get a job in Germany and you live there for 10 or so years and Canada goes to play Germany...

I'd cheer for Canada. Actually, it was kind of funny during the Euro. After the France-Greece match I was watching Greek news and they showed a guy in a Paris bar screaming in French that "WE won, and WE are the best" and jumping and being happy and I'm thinking huh? I mean I know the French and giving up but come on... Then they started Greek dancing and I realised they were Greeks living in France. But they didn't speak a word of Greek, and the ones who did had heavy accents, it was quite amusing.

They also interviewed French living in Greece and they said the typical were disappointed bs. The difference with Canada is that "Canadians" (i.e. your typical wasp in Saskatchewan) don't support soccer. And there are too many people of every different ethnic group here so they try to stand out and that's why Canadian soccer suffers. I hope that makes sense.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Doubtful. Look at the U.S.A.

Well, I know that Greek-Canadians care a lot more obout Greek soccer than Greek-American do. And I'm guessing it's probably the same with most European-Americans. I think the difference is with the Latinos. The European-Americans have become Americanized (football, baseball), while the Latinos who still follow soccer, follow the old-country soccer. If there had been a strong US league for generations, I think things would be different there.

As an example, my grandfather who lives in Canada, couldn't care less about soccer, Greek or otherwise, because of when and where he group up. But he is the biggest Leaf fan in the world. I honestly think he is going to die from a heart attack watching the games. He's only been watching hockey for 20 years or whatever he's been in Canada. But that's the main sport in Canada, and that's what everybody talks about and watches. If soccer was the main sport, he would be watching soccer, and supporting Canada. Cause he was complaining about why Sundin plays for Sweden, since "he is Canadian". It was quite funny hearing this from him.

Sorry for the ramblings, I'm bored. I hope some of it made sense. :D

Archived