Canada can beat Costa Rica

gohb

Hi--this is Peter Goldstein, the guy who does the Planet World Cup pieces. As some of you know, I'm a big fan of this site, and read the message board every day. I just watched the Canada-Honduras tape--what an outstanding second-half effort by Canada (hey, Watson didn't look bad at all!), and what a rotten deal they got from the refs. But if they play that well at Costa Rica, they have a genuine chance for the upset. Here's my scouting report on CR: take it for what it's worth.

Costa Rica are traditionally a brittle team; they can be brilliant, but when off-balance, they're vulnerable. Right now the atmosphere around the team isn't at its best: Pinto has been shuttling players in and out, and they haven't found a rhythm. They may be lacking in self-belief.

The Costa Rican back line has never really adjusted to the change from 3 to 4. Leo Gonzalez, the left back, isn't particularly quick, and since Costa Rica has to play for the win, he may go forward more than usual. Hume should be able to get behind him and do some damage. The centerbacks, Marin and Martinez, have not been in good form, and Radzinski is just the kind of pacy forward that can cause them problems. Try Bennett or maybe Harold Wallace will start on the right; neither is exceptional, although Wallace has some pace.

In defensive midfield it should be either Jose Luis Lopez, from the U-23's, or Cristian Badilla. Lopez is a cool customer, positions himself well, looks like he's coming into his own. Badilla has more experience, but is nothing special.

Stephen Bryce should play at right midfield: he's fast and had a very good game against Guatemala. I thought Jazic looked erratic against Honduras, and he'll have to be careful. Alonso Solis will probably play on the left. He's a very technical player, excellent dribbler, but sometimes makes the wrong decision. He had his best game ever against Guatemala, but I think he can be rattled, and some physical play could knock him off his game. Against Guatemala, Pinto used two defensive midfielders, but I think he has to go for broke here, and Walter Centeno should start as the playmaker. He's got talent, but is erratic, and I've never been convinced that he can lead the team by himself.

Up front the team is very thin right now. Wanchope looks great, and will be a handful for anybody. But Herron is out with the red card, Winston Parks quit the team, and Ronald Gomez is out of favor. That leaves Erick Scott, Alvaro Saborio, and Alejandro Sequeira. None are really a natural partner for Wanchope. He needs either a withdrawn forward type like Gomez or a straight-ahead speedster like Herron, and Scott, Saborio, and Sequeira are probably all best as point men. I like Scott more than most people do; he's good with back to goal, has excellent vision, and is a creative passer. But he hasn't had much first-team football with Columbus Crew, and froze up when put in as a sub against Guatemala, missing a very good chance for the equalizer. Saborio is a young centerforward, didn't look terribly good in the Copa America. Sequeira is a physically strong guy who's good in the air.

Keeper is not their best position. Ricardo Gonzalez is unreliable on crosses, although he can be a very good shot-stopper. Jose Francisco Porras got the start against Guatemala, and looked OK most of the way, but came out unnecessarily on the play that led to the deciding goal.

Costa Rica is reeling, and they have weaknesses. I don't know if anyone can replace Jason deVos, and that may be Canada's biggest problem. But if you guys are inspired, a good result is not out of the question. (The referee is from Trinidad & Tobago, which could mean anything.) I won't see the game until Saturday on tape--but best of luck!

Thanks for the report. BTW, I completely forgot (in my post-match anger & fury) that you were looking for a copy of the first match in this group. If you are please feel to give me another shout at the same email address you sent your last email to (which you won't find by clicking on my name - that's a different one).

BTW, anyone has links to Tico newspapers and what not? I noticed La Nacion needs registeration and didn't have time for it, but any news on what is being said and how either camp is doing.. How about any news on the Honduras-Guatemala match?

quote:Originally posted by Reza

BTW, anyone has links to Tico newspapers and what not? I noticed La Nacion needs registeration and didn't have time for it, but any news on what is being said and how either camp is doing.. How about any news on the Honduras-Guatemala match?

I`ll take a look at "La Nación" and post some translations of some articles on this thread, I don`t mind the registration part, I`ve done it so many times!!

fza

Hey Peter (gohb),

Thank you for your thoughts on the Costa Rican team. Both teams are hurting and desperate. I guess that it will come down to which side wants it more.

Also, I have enjoyed reading your Planet World Cup pieces and discussions on the BigSoccer site (although I am not a member). Keep up the good and very fairly written work!

Peter, thanks for that little right up on Costa Rica. I enjoy visting www.planetworldcup.com Your preview of the semi-final round in CONCACAF was excellent.

As for Costa Rican newspapers, I found one that isn't sign up. It can be found at:

www.diaroextra.com

When you get there, just click on Deportes, they had a bunch of aricles when I checked it this morning.

Here is the website of the CR FA:

http://www.fedefutbol.com/home.asp

Here is the first bit from September 6th:

A las 12:50 pm en vuelo de Air Canadá, la selección de ese país ingresó a suelo nacional para el encuentro a disputarse el día miércoles en el Estadio Ricardo Saprissa, el cuál será un choque definitivo en las aspiraciones de ambas escuadras nacionales.

La Selección de Canadá reconocerá mañana martes la gramilla sintética del Ricardo Saprissa tal y como lo determina la FIFA en competiciones oficiales.

Which using the amazing online translation means:

To the 12:50 p.m. in flight of Air Canada, the selection of that country entered national ground for the encounter to dispute to the day Wednesday in the Stage Ricardo Saprissa, which will be a definitive shock in the aspirations of both national squares. The Selection of Canada will tomorrow recognize Tuesday gramilla synthetic of the Ricardo Saprissa so and as it determines the FIFA to it in official competitions.

quote:Originally posted by Reza

Here is the website of the CR FA:

http://www.fedefutbol.com/home.asp

Here is the first bit from September 6th:

A las 12:50 pm en vuelo de Air Canadá, la selección de ese país ingresó a suelo nacional para el encuentro a disputarse el día miércoles en el Estadio Ricardo Saprissa, el cuál será un choque definitivo en las aspiraciones de ambas escuadras nacionales.

La Selección de Canadá reconocerá mañana martes la gramilla sintética del Ricardo Saprissa tal y como lo determina la FIFA en competiciones oficiales.

Which using the amazing online translation means:

To the 12:50 p.m. in flight of Air Canada, the selection of that country entered national ground for the encounter to dispute to the day Wednesday in the Stage Ricardo Saprissa, which will be a definitive shock in the aspirations of both national squares. The Selection of Canada will tomorrow recognize Tuesday gramilla synthetic of the Ricardo Saprissa so and as it determines the FIFA to it in official competitions.

HEY REZA I POSTED AN ARTICLE FROM NACION (COSTA RICAN NEWSPAPER). I hope you like it, it took a few minutes to translate but it came out pretty well.

Enjoy!

Cheers

fza

Archived