Why does the MLS...

bettermirror

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

play on FIFA sanctioned international weekends?

Every team in the league loses an American international, Canadian international, Central American international, or Caribbean international.

It doesn't make any sense. Do they all call up their Pro-40 players?

This is very typical of american run leagues in that they refuse to follow or have anything to do with international governing bodies. It must be in their psyche based on the fact that they are the remaining super power. "The world says that we shouldn't play on the international calendar? But we'll do our own thing cause we are americans." Couldn't believe that the A-league went ahead with their playoffs this weekend. They are no better. Would it really have been such a big deal to schedule the playoff at a different day of the same week?

Things aren't different with Hockey in that that US based NHL always has to do its own thing and has to have IIHF subroggate to their desires. Consequent hockey doesn't have a true international championship that everyone respects and takes seriously to the same degree. I guess alot of it has to do with protecting their own turf. In the end , from a fan base, the international game suffers as a result

Yeah, it's kinda curious.

Suppose they figure it's a good way to get a couple of seconds of highlights on the sports shows knowing there's going to be lots of international highlights and lots of footie fans looking to watch those international highlights.

Guessing MLS knows their demographic as well. Old argument about those who watch international football or foreighn football not supporting the local brand. So playing matchs on these weekends dosen't necessarily hurt the gate or TV numbers simply because Fan X isn't watching Club Y typicaly anyway.

Loosing most if not all your signature players IN THE LEAGUE for a match can't help though. Not by a longshot. If you're going to miss a match this year, it's pretty easy to choose which one it should be.

As for the A-League playoffs. Don't know. Seasons getting realy short, realy fast up here. Weathers turning to crap in a heartbeat. Or going from bad to worse in some places.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Yeah, it's kinda curious.

As for the A-League playoffs. Don't know. Seasons getting realy short, realy fast up here. Weathers turning to crap in a heartbeat. Or going from bad to worse in some places.

I for one play soccer at an amateur level well into October, so I don't get it why the A-league doesn't do the same.

Instead they cram all those games so close together. (1 day rest)

Every team in the league loses an American international, Canadian international, Central American international, or Caribbean international.

It's strange. And then people in the U.S. wonder why I don't support the local game here. A richer MLS (and A-league to a lesser extent) would be detrimental to the sport.

No, Free Kick, you can't blame it on our appaling arrogance this time.

No, it's because some of our teams play in NFL stadiums, and we don't have first choice when it comes to scheduling in those stadiums. MLS takes what it can get, and until we get all SSS for our teams, then this is the way it has to be. Trust me, if MLS could adhere to the international calendar, they would.

quote:Originally posted by massimo

I for one play soccer at an amateur level well into October

Well that must be nice.

Certainly not out here. Think we're home and dry by the last week of September. Could probably go a little later but the weather gets too unpredictable, every match would have to be under floodlights and so on.

****. Indoor starts in late October [:0]

That being said, tens of thousands of CFL fans don't even bother showing up for games until it starts to get cold out. Of course that brand of football can better take the crap weather.

MLS can't afford to take time off.

And there is a tradition of cooperation between MLS and USSF. A sucessful national team can spark interest in (or least call attention to) the sport.

Also, the playoff system is such that regular season games are not always do-or-die affairs.

The American players do have the reputation of going out of their way to play with the national team, also. There have been occasional club-country problems but they've been relatively minor.

MLS and the USNT do what they have to do to get by and to keep everyone happy.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

[br Could probably go a little later but the weather gets too unpredictable, every match would have to be under floodlights and so on.

Cheeta ,

Isn't the unpredictability the beauty of it all. Playing in October is great. Sure it gets cold with games being a night.

It's 2 degrees outside on an October night and all some guys have on are their jersey, shorts and socks. Then you get those guys who come prepared, the gloves, tuques, thick under-shirts, etc. It's fun to see what people will wear during a soccer match in October, for me it's just part of the game.

It's like playing in the rain, it's just part of the game. Personally I'd rather play while it's raining, than get a game at midday with temps of 30 degrees! Ouch! I could still feel my head burning from that one!

Good Luck to the rest of your season!

Cheers

Massimo

quote:Originally posted by Crazy_Yank

*lol* I think someone who doesn't know anything about MLS should refrain from commenting on a topic he doesn't know anything about.

I don't think you need to have extensive knowledge of MLS and all its players to say that it's stupid to play matches on the same day as FIFA-sanctioned international days. If the really big leagues of Europe did that imagine the chaos that would be introduced.

But of course I know MLS-fan can't take even the slightest criticism of their league or the morons who run it.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Didn't the Brazil, Argentina and Mexico leagues play on the FIFA dates as well? I think some of you guys are making too much out of the MLS playing on FIFA dates. As long as the clubs let the players go, whats the big deal?

Well, not in Argentina. There are usually a few games in Brasil because of fixture congestion. But that's one of the most poorly run leagues around too. And they still try to work around the int'l timetable as best as they could (when you have teams playing 70+ games per year). On the other hand, one gets the feeling that MLS totally ignores the fact that soccer is a world game. It's that whole Brett-Hull, the world-should-revolve-around-me (even-though-i-suck-at-everything) attitude.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

I don't think you need to have extensive knowledge of MLS and all its players to say that it's stupid to play matches on the same day as FIFA-sanctioned international days. If the really big leagues of Europe did that imagine the chaos that would be introduced.

But of course I know MLS-fan can't take even the slightest criticism of their league or the morons who run it.

Did you read my post?

THEY DON'T HAVE A CHOICE.

Archived