Lousy pitch does Canada in?....

Bertuzzi44

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Wrong.

see http://www.canadasoccer.com for attendance figures. There were approx. 9600 people at the game, according to the CSA

Ah, the CSA. Now there's a source I trust more than my own eyes.

Even by the CSA's numbers, that's 44 per cent more than they had at Swangard. So what is your point exactly? That 10,000 is less than 7000 if you put them in a big stadium? Is that some weird BC math? (I'll have to remember that next time I go shopping there. "That ounce is cheaper if I put it in this big bag, right?")

Ambience is a great thing if you're in the crowd, but I think the CSA would rather have the money, thank you very much.

Last I checked, Vancouver had more than twice the population that Edmonton has. So if Edmonton can attract 10,000, Vancouver should attract more than 20,000, no? So where were the other 13,000? Were they turned away at the gate? I'll bet they loved the ambience too.

I would love to see some games played in Montreal. They've proven that there's a soccer market there. And it is Canada's second-largest city. I think it's shameful that so few games have been played there over the years. If the level of interest is equal to that in Edmonton, then Montreal should draw 35,000, no problem. How big is their stadium again?

As for the grass, it was fine. Looked like some players weren't wearing the right studs for the wet conditions. Otherwise, the pitch wasn't even noticeable. It was the same grass for both teams. The Hondurans just seemed to slip at more opportune moments and in more favourable areas of the pitch. Imagine that.

That Vancouver game was still a sellout no matter which way you slice it...although it would be nice if ticketmaster or the CSA could find a good way to distribute the tickets properly to ensure a

pro-Canadian crowd.

Guys another thing we have to realize is this is Canada,,,,where 0.001% percent of us are hardcore Canadian soccer fans and the other 99.999 % of Canadians don't care a whole lot for this sport as much as I hate to admit. Sure we'd love to see 20,000-30,000 people out cheering them on but right now its not gonna happen in this country no matter what city its played in. First off because it's round 1 of World Cup Qualifying (even though we are playing excellent opposition, the Canadian public doesn't know that unless its Mexico or U.S. ) and secondly because there's very little promotion and publicity of the game through the media and CSA. The great Edmonton crowd of 50,000 that turned out to watch the Canadian U20 Girls final against the U.S. in 2002 was because of the snowball effect caused by the tournament , the continued press and media coverage, along with success of the Canadian team, it just took off and was amazing. What I'm saying is , this shows us the potential is there, but to get the mass Canadian public out to soccer games (the non-hardcore fans) it has to be a very meaningful game such as final stage of world cup qualifying against a big name team like the U.S. , Mexico, and possibly Costa Rica now , otherwise theres just not enough fans in this country that care. This is the same reason why there will never be a professional Canadian league (except for a developmental league such as A-league) its just not feasible in Canada because of the lack of passionate fans. These debates over how many fans show up in each city are crazy because its really not gonna differ a whole lot in Canada due to the lack of hardcore fans, and lack of good facilities..

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Do you happen to know the nationality of 90% of the crack dealers downtown? (Hey, my sister is from the "Wack"). Oh, and anybody upset by my claiming that 90% of the crack pushers in Vancouver are from Honduras should note that my source on this number is very, very solid. ... Tell your crack-dealing and non-crack-dealing honduran fans to come out and cheer for Canada. They aren't bad people--they just cheer for the wrong team.

Are you a crack dealer, Beav? Or just a buyer?

If I might offer a word of advice: You'd be better off not justifying your comments at all than trying to justify them by referring to some "very, very solid" source and then not saying who that source is. That just makes you sound worse, dude.

quote:Originally posted by Chet

Last I checked, Vancouver had more than twice the population that Edmonton has. So if Edmonton can attract 10,000, Vancouver should attract more than 20,000, no? So where were the other 13,000? Were they turned away at the gate? I'll bet they loved the ambience too.

Surely I hope you are kidding. The Vancouver game was a sellout folks. Swangard only hold 6700.

So to answer your question, yes, the other 13,000 were turned away at the game- due to lack of a ticket

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Surely I hope you are kidding. The Vancouver game was a sellout folks. Swangard only hold 6700.

So to answer your question, yes, the other 13,000 were turned away at the game- due to lack of a ticket

Bull****.

We know that Swangard can hold 10,000. No excuses.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Bull****.

OOOO-K, whatever you say buddy. Then, according to you, 10,000 were at the Vancouver game, b/c it was a sellout (even though every source on the planet, except you, says Swangard holds 6700).

177089484QnjtIA_ph.jpg

http://community.webshots.com/s/image16/8/94/84/177089484QnjtIA_ph.jpg

It really makes no sense to get "personalized' vis-a-vis city v. city here.

What was the breakdown for those "whatever" tickets that were sold for the Guatemala [yes I appreciate you can ask the same question of me for Saturday's game and I would not know] match?

The bottom line is you have a very limited attendance capacity for a Vancouver match v. an Edmonton game. Yes, you are absolutely correct it did not work out for the CSA Saturday with a crowd under 10,000. Would have it been any better for a capacity crowd at Van. Likely not.

If not, I would be pleased to hear how?

Same with Montreal and the CCR? What prices? How many? Not just with the 20/20 hindsight of what happened Sat.

quote:Bull****.

Not it can't. There are laws called "Fire Regulations" that any entertainment venue has to abide by, including Swangard.

Please point out the last time 10,000 attended at Swangard Stadium?

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Not it can't. There are laws called "Fire Regulations" that any entertainment venue has to abide by, including Swangard.

Please point out the last time 10,000 attended at Swangard Stadium?

June 9th 2001. England v. Canada Rugby International. Attendance Number is at the bottom.

http://www.planet-rugby.com/stats/matchreport/index.phtml/p_r/ENG?tm1Code=EN&tm2Code=CA&date=09-Jun-2001&tournament_code=international&setCode=results&navCode=results

quote:

Can Montreal, Vancouver, or TO even guarentee a pro-Canadian crowd?

By rough estimates, one wouldn't be far off in saying that 50% of the fans in Commonwealth were supporting Honduras. Maybe even more.

The facility was definitely first class and the Edmonton and other Voyageurs that did attend and support Canada were first class and very supportive. You might say the same for the other the non voyageurs who attended and sat elswhere.

But, to be accurate given that there are many people on this board who were not there, to question whether "

Montreal, Vancouver, or TO even guarentee a pro-Canadian crowd?" after Saturdays's game misleads others and leaves a false impression. Foreign supporters at international games is a Canadian problem. Not a TO, Montreal or Vancouver problem.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

June 9th 2001. England v. Canada Rugby International. Attendance Number is at the bottom.

http://www.planet-rugby.com/stats/matchreport/index.phtml/p_r/ENG?tm1Code=EN&tm2Code=CA&date=09-Jun-2001&tournament_code=international&setCode=results&navCode=results

3 years ago.

Since then, Swangard's capacity has be downsized (not that it was ever 10K, IIRC). They probably brought in extra seating for that Rugby match.

C'mon Doyle, tell me you ignored the 1000 and 1 posts about Swangard's capacity over the past three weeks. It's common knowledge that the Guat game was a sellout.

It seems to me that you're arguing just for the sake of it.

quote:Originally posted by bmac

It really makes no sense to get "personalized' vis-a-vis city v. city here.

I agree with what you have said, but people shouldn't take it personally if a negative comment is made about their city, which I will make in this post. Each city has something positive to offer. I think that we need to find the best venue and the venue that is most beneficial for our team. Seems simple enough but CSA doesn't think about these things.

The first game shouldn't have been in Vancouver because of the travel and the "home field" provided by Honduran fans and the favourable weather (28'C). This could have happened anywhere though(are their no Hondurans in Toronto or Montreal?)

The second game shouldn't have been in Edmonton because the next day the team was flying out of Toronto. Wouldn't it have made sense to have this game in Toronto to save on the travel to Costa Rica via Edmonton and having our team drag their asses back to Toronto?

I have never seen Commonwealth look worse. Long torn up grass. Bush league CFL lines on the field-this is a professional stadium? As soon as Jazic hit his back pass you could see it die. (We all know he shouldn't have played it back to braincramp in goal-that is playing with fire)

Kingston did an admirable job of the Belize games I guess, but that field looked rough and bush league. I swear I must have seen people riding their bikes, playing frisbee and having a picnic. Wouldn't it be better to have the T.V. on the opposite side of the grandstands so it looks like their are 30,000 at the game as opposed to 300? It looks like there is a 7 year old girl and her 9 year old brother at the game from the vantage point. You could also hear the wind and the individual raindrops. The atmosphere was complete when I could hear over the T.V. "Bobby get Mom a coke"

Move the games around the country though. Give Montreal, Winnipeg, Ontario-other than Toronto games. Final round games should go to the best supported cities and the major cities in Canada (Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto) If Vancouver or Toronto can't draw large, give them prelim games and move the final round to another city in the future.

I also think (if we get there) that Vancouver should get the US, Toronto gets Mexico and Edmonton gets Guatemala or Honduras etc.

Honduras had nowhere near 50% of the support. They had maybe one and a half groups. The biggest was right next to the Voyageurs. The other was a small group on the other side of the pitch. I'd say Canadians had them outnumbered 8 or 10 to 1. Maybe our media focused on the large group?, they were pretty close to the action.

This shouldn't even be a debate... If the CSA wanted to get 30-40000 fans into Commonwealth, they could do it. It's always the same problem though. Lack of coverage, lack of promotion and pricey tickets. I'm sure the hardcore fans in any large Canadian city will always represent numbers around 10000 but we need the casual fan too. The casual fans interest will give us the big crowds and the big coverage(media) and the only place that will seat the big crowds is Commonwealth. Until the CSA wakes up and actually does something to bring them in, we have to get used to 8000-10000. It's such a waste though. Half priced tickets would have at least doubled the numbers.

quote:Originally posted by James

Honduras had nowhere near 50% of the support. They had maybe one and a half groups. The biggest was right next to the Voyageurs. The other was a small group on the other side of the pitch. I'd say Canadians had them outnumbered 8 or 10 to 1. Maybe our media focused on the large group?, they were pretty close to the action.

This shouldn't even be a debate... If the CSA wanted to get 30-40000 fans into Commonwealth, they could do it. It's always the same problem though. Lack of coverage, lack of promotion and pricey tickets. I'm sure the hardcore fans in any large Canadian city will always represent numbers around 10000 but we need the casual fan too. The casual fans interest will give us the big crowds and the big coverage(media) and the only place that will seat the big crowds is Commonwealth. Until the CSA wakes up and actually does something to bring them in, we have to get used to 8000-10000. It's such a waste though. Half priced tickets would have at least doubled the numbers.

It the fans in Edmonton responsibility to fill Commonwealth not the CSA's. The tickets could not have been that high? How much were they,lower then a Oilers or Flames tickets and they are the biggest losers going. The CSA has to stop using Edmonton as a base,haveing the game in St John's NFLD would have been better, thats were

were qualified for our only world cup appearence, and going back there might have brought us some luck. Im sure the people in Edmonton knew the game was on,publicity can only do so much they can't be that

blind. If Canada had played decent in the first game vs Guatemala that might have got a few more out, but the fans figured we were

already doomed so why bother showing up?

Montreal would be a great city to host the National Team. I've never been to a game there but if thier Impact support is any indication, it'd be awesome. What are the facilities like? Anything close to Commonwealth?

The real problem is the CSA though. I don't doubt that Vancouver or Montreal could get 10000 fans out to the games. Any city with the same Stadium that we have here, would still have a the attendance problem though. The solution is so simple. I swear the guys running the CSA must be the same idiots that ran the Aviators.

quote:Originally posted by soccerbeast

It the fans in Edmonton responsibility to fill Commonwealth not the CSA's. The tickets could not have been that high? How much were they,lower then a Oilers or Flames tickets and they are the biggest losers going. The CSA has to stop using Edmonton as a base,haveing the game in St John's NFLD would have been better, thats were

were qualified for our only world cup appearence, and going back there might have brought us some luck. Im sure the people in Edmonton knew the game was on,publicity can only do so much they can't be that

blind. If Canada had played decent in the first game vs Guatemala that might have got a few more out, but the fans figured we were

already doomed so why bother showing up?

No facts, poor judgement and even worse English...ever consider a career in National politics? [8D]

Archived