Lousy pitch does Canada in?....

Bertuzzi44

as said by Jason DeVos:

"It wasn't a penalty. He slipped. You can see the slip marks on the pitch ..... The lad slipped in the box and fell over. There was no contact."

The pitch looked horrible, players were slipping all over the place all night and it seems to have cost Canada in the end (in tandem with a brutal backpass). Pitch also looked slow.

Personally, I do not like edmonton as a venue for WCQ. Less than 10,000 for a huge game like this? weren't they giving tickets away?

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

the thing isnt the rain on the pitch, its the fact that the place holds over 50,000 people and not even 10 000 were in theplace.....and that was wiyth a radio stationm giving away 1000 4-ticket family packs for free?!

We got those fans in in spite[/] of poor advertising.

Can Montreal, Vancouver, or TO even guarentee a pro-Canadian crowd?

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

We got those fans in spite of poor advertising.

Can Montreal, Vancouver, or TO even guarentee a pro-Canadian crowd?

There was poor advertising in Vancouver as well.

As for the crowd, I thought the Vancouver crowd was just as or more pro-canadian than in edm. surely I wasn't the only one to see a giant group of blue-clad hondurans gathered right at the 50-yard line.

plus, a full stadium just looks better IMO

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Montreal can't say since there hasn't been a game there in 9 years!!

Vancouver seemed pretty pro canadian (in the Guat match).

the point is 10k in a 50k stadium just doesn't hack it. The place needs to be at least 50-75% full to create any kind of ambience.

I'm not saying everyone that attended the game in Edmonton wired their mouths shut a didn't root for Canada, rather the noise will disapate in such a big venue with a small crowd like that.

Attendance in Edmonton for WCQ matches.in the past.

Australia (94)- 27,772

Panama (98)- 5,255

Cuba #1 (98)- 6,000

Cuba #2 (98)- 10,000

Costa Rica (98)- 10,000

Mexico (98)- 12,000

T&T (98)- 25,000

The attendance that we got on Saturday goes in well with what we've been getting for past WCQ matches here in Edmonton.

Attendance in Edmonton for WCQ matches.in the past.

Australia (94)- 27,772

Panama (98)- 5,255

Cuba #1 (98)- 6,000

Cuba #2 (98)- 10,000

Costa Rica (98)- 10,000

Mexico (98)- 12,000

T&T (98)- 25,000

The attendance that we got on Saturday goes in well with what we've been getting for past WCQ matches here in Edmonton.

Where are these attendance figures coming from? There were more than 10,000 at the game.

And, yes, of course the Honduran players weren't diving, they were, um, ... slipping. That's it. And the referee was justified in calling the penalty because it was Canadian grass and Canadian rain that made contact with the Honduran player's boot.

This is why we need field turf in Toronto. Our grass isn't disciplined enough to be on the pitch.

I've said it before but you guys are kidding yourselves if you think that crowd in Vancouver was anything more than 60% Canadian supporters. Still, I agree with those who say it is a much better atmosphere for the game, for the MNT players themselves, and the impression for the Canadian media and the foreign contingent to see us playing in front of a packed house, regardless of the attenedance. If it's a game that only draw a few thousand then by all means play in places like Victoria and Kelowna and Halifax. If we're only gonna draw 10,000 for critical games against the best teams in the region then let's play in 8-10,000 seaters I say.

So who exactly puts on the event?

Did the ASA people take care of all the details within the CSA & CONCACAF requirments?

Who did it out Vancouver way with the 1st match at Swangard?

The reason I ask is if it comes down to local orgaganizations (provincial, civic, whatever) to stage a WCQ event the CSA is sort of off the hook when it comes to which city gets what and when.

If there is no capable organization within Montreal willing to put on a WCQ test match a suitable venue and great support for the local club alone isn't going to get Montreal a WCQ.

I was a little bit puzzled when Swangard got awarded that 2nd match. To me it made no scense what-so-ever. But then I got thinking about how the CSA left the decision open for so long before awarding it. Started making me think maybe they were looking for an alternative location before falling back on the allways willing Vancouver site.

Of course given that everything I'm already assuming is more or less correct, and it's strictly an assumption, maybe Montreal did put in a "bid" to the Costa Rica match but was passed over this time around for whatever reason. And we're not hearing about it because this imaginary organization is playing nice for next time.

Whooa. Days off work get the ol' addled noggin spinning in all sort of directions don't they? Still. I'm curious. Sure it would be pretty interesting to find out how it all works.

A Calgarian defending Edmonton.. what the ****?

If Kingston would have had more rain than they've had in a decade how would the pitch have been? Or Swanguard? After 10 years of massive drought, we've had a hell of a lot of rain this year, really, a ****ing lot. So lay off the pitch.

I was very disappointed in the turnout. It was a mostly Canadian crowd though.

I'll be happy to see Canada anywhere actually, but I still really like Commonwealth. And it's close.

Bit that was written in the Journal today by Jim Matheson, Journal Soccer Writter.

quote:Pushing the Canada-Honduras game back to 7 p.m. from it's original afternoon time slot may have been a bad idea, considering the evening World Cup of Hockey game between Canada and Russia was on TV. The price of tickets, up to $39 apiece, may have also hurt attendance as a relatively weak crowd of 9,654 turned out.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

yes vancouver can and did produce one against guatemala. i was there.

Yo, dude, I'm a Vancouver boy and can say with near certainty that we would NOT have had a pro-Canadian crowd in Vancouver if the Hondurass game had been held at Swangard. Do you happen to know the nationality of 90% of the crack dealers downtown? (Hey, my sister is from the "Wack"). Oh, and anybody upset by my claiming that 90% of the crack pushers in Vancouver are from Honduras should note that my source on this number is very, very solid. Marine drive south of victoria and stretching along the river is basically "Little Central America" and Hondurans will travel up from Seattle in freakin droves to pack Swangard. The Guat population in Vancouver is not nearly as large as the Hondu population.

Sad news, there are probably even more Costa Ricans living in Vancouver than Hondus. October 13, get your tickets. Tell your crack-dealing and non-crack-dealing honduran fans to come out and cheer for Canada. They aren't bad people--they just cheer for the wrong team.

Archived