Roster Changes - Who Comes In For Devos?

Ian Kennett

After watching the match sober yesterday I think I may have been a little harsh on Hutch. Yeah he still looked lost at times but overall I think he played pretty damn good. Even out of possition and with Watson on his left. Leave him there. He'll do better come Wednesday and hopefully not have as many greyhounds to deal with.

Watson looked alright. Realy. But it sure helped having JDV beside him, Hutch out on the flank and Imhof, Guz, and Radz. barreling back. Hope the legs are up for it Wednesday.

Onstad is still scary. Had the Hondurians brought their shooting boots we may have lost this one in the 1st half with the blame falling as much on Pat as anyone else. Still, the only one to get by was a PK. No fault of Pats that.

Jazic had a wonderful match. Clearly he was given the attacking fullback role, especially that 2nd half. You're going to get caught out if your the attacking fullback so don't let that ruin your match perception for Jazic but I can't remember how many times he overlapped with de Rosario and drew that Hondurian line 10 yard back and created room in that flat outside the penalty area. Wonderful stuff.

Some sober second observations amongst others.

quote:Originally posted by Georgio

Atiba did not looked lost. He combined well with the rest of the young guys and played steady. He made no glaring mistakes. He did not get beat on his side. Actually Jazic was beaten more then Atiba by diving in twice even though I think Jazic played excellent (minus the pass back). I think what you guys maybe complaining about Atiba is he doesn't look fluent and is slightly unorthodox. But he is under control, that's just his body type and how he moves. He maintained possession for us.

I am so proud of our boys! They played great, including Watson.

I just hope our strikers can start making the difference now.

G-L, I wish you'd been at the game--very much want to meet you and like how you see the game and support our lads. Yes, Hutch was very good, and in fact improved as the game wore on. He may have looked a bit out of sorts at time, but he's learning a new postion and did very well. (I wish he'd put on 25 lean pounds. He may be the man to replace DeVos down the line.) The problem Hutch faced was support on his wing. When he had the ball, the support was good, but defensively he was left in trouble a couple of times, especially when DD and Hume switched flanks. DD, as I've posted elsewhere today, is not strong defensively. I love the guy, but he is actually a liability in midfield. He should be up front, and that is it.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

After watching the match sober yesterday I think I may have been a little harsh on Hutch. Yeah he still looked lost at times but overall I think he played pretty damn good. Even out of possition and with Watson on his left. Leave him there. He'll do better come Wednesday and hopefully not have as many greyhounds to deal with.

Watson looked alright. Realy. But it sure helped having JDV beside him, Hutch out on the flank and Imhof, Guz, and Radz. barreling back. Hope the legs are up for it Wednesday.

Onstad is still scary. Had the Hondurians brought their shooting boots we may have lost this one in the 1st half with the blame falling as much on Pat as anyone else. Still, the only one to get by was a PK. No fault of Pats that.

Jazic had a wonderful match. Clearly he was given the attacking fullback role, especially that 2nd half. You're going to get caught out if your the attacking fullback so don't let that ruin your match perception for Jazic but I can't remember how many times he overlapped with de Rosario and drew that Hondurian line 10 yard back and created room in that flat outside the penalty area. Wonderful stuff.

Some sober second observations amongst others.

Watson was very good, actually. I watched him closely--from ground level--and was impressed. The key to our team right now is DeVos, plain and simple. he is a great leader, a great organizer, and a solid footballer. A half-knot more pace and he'd be near brilliant.

Nolando you may be in the minority about Hutch, I also thought he played great, looked very poised for especially being such a young guy thrown into an important game against a very offensive team. That play just before half-time is stuck in my head where Atiba quickly caught up to the Honduran that had snuck in the box and forced him to shoot just wide of the post.

Here's what I've been wasting my brain cells on:

Hutch is an emerging talent, and is going to be a very, very good player for Canada for a long time...but he's no full back and I'm bsuting my head trying to figure out why Frank keeps playing guys where they don't belong.

On top of everything else our guys have to put up with (18 hour flights in cargo class, playing on cow pastures complete with a couple mud wallows, corrupt referees, opposition players who don't respect a good square go, but dish it out on the sly and then make the retaliation look like murder) on top of all that then the manager plays them out of position so they end up looking lost and useless, ie. DeRo and Imhof! It drives me nuts to watch it happening and it must be maddening for them as well!

DeVos makes everybody around him play better, he's an inspiration and an icon, the leader of the team whether he wears the armband or not.

Domestics are not as good as imports. They're emergency cover, bench warmers, DeRo, Onstad and Watson are clearly a class below the guys in Europe, don't even mention Pizzolito.

Craig Forrest stands up for his buddies no matter how bad they play and to hear the passion in his voice when he threatened to quit the broadcast booth and have a go at the ref might have been the best moment of the game!

It's a real comfort to know that I am not alone in caring deeply what happens to these guys!

quote:Originally posted by canso

On top of everything else our guys have to put up with (18 hour flights in cargo class, playing on cow pastures complete with a couple mud wallows, corrupt referees, opposition players who don't respect a good square go, but dish it out on the sly and then make the retaliation look like murder) on top of all that then the manager plays them out of position so they end up looking lost and useless, ie. DeRo and Imhof! It drives me nuts to watch it happening and it must be maddening for them as well!

was thinking the same thing execpt for that part in red since I lost what you're trying to say.

I agree with nolando. Hutchinson looked nervous and indecisive out there. Once he made a decision he usually executed well. But he missed a lot of opportunities to move the ball forward because of his hesitation. I don't doubt his talent, I just think he needs to calm down. I don't think he has the confidence to play centre-back.

Archived