Roster Changes - Who Comes In For Devos?

Ian Kennett

You need 5 days to call up a player, so I can't see a foreign-based player get called up. Depending on when the team leaves Toronto and if the Impact are willing, I could see one of Gervais or Pizz maybe joining the team before playing on Friday if the Impact is still in. If the Impact is eliminated Sunday, I wouldn't be surprised to see them both called up.

It might be a crazy idea but with Montreal and Vancouver still in the hunt, how about calling up Brillant? Maybe he can play defensively, or at least cover mid while Imhof moves back there. Not many options at the moment and no point playing with an even shorter bench than we had tonight.

I thought Hutch was plenty suspect tonight. He looked awkward and was often out of position for a defender while contributing little to the offense. He was one of the key culprits in this 3 on 1 defending the Canadians repeated about half a dozen times tonight. I don't look forward to him in central defense anytime soon. God it was nerve-racking to watch.

Normaly I'd also say put Hutch in but he definately looked lost for great swaths of playing time last night. Looked okay at others, but definately out of his element for way too much of the match.

Menezes will be back in the lineup Wednesday. Would nearly guarentee it.

Except for that overconfident back pass which led to the bull**** PK, Jazic had a brilliant match. Realy getting to like this guy (even more) as he gets more confident in his role. Still, I think everyone was screaming "No.!!! It's covered!!!" when Ante was juking there to set himself up for a back pass. Damn.

Geezus I'd don't know. We only brought the three center halfs and Hutch and it's kinna late to try to get anybody else worked into the system unless they can fly out and join the team TODAY. Has to be Pizzolitto then I'd guess. He's the only one who has any game time with the 1st team. Screw Montreal, fly him in.

Could have used Brennan's left foot last night. If he's not dressing for Norwich bring him in. Would be surprised if Frankie dose though. Thinking for Frankie it's more of a personality thing than a quality of play issue when it comes to JB.

The very second after Hirschfeld gets a start for Dundee if Onstad still plays for Canada Frank Yallop should be fired. This has gone on long enough. And tell me JDV dosen't deserve the Captain's armband. I damned well dare you.

Thanks, Ian. Got my mind off murder and onto how do we get 9 points out of the next 4 matchs.

To be honest, Onstad made one mistake and it was with a bad backpass that he should have clear into the stand, but took to long to clear(he was very lucky on that play). He played well the rest of the game and I don't see why Lars should start????

If we are eliminated, I'm all for giving a start to Sutton or Lars or each one a start.

----------------- Onstad ----------------------

Serioux --- Watson ---- Menezes/Hutch --- Jazic

Hume ------ Imhof ------ De Guzman ------ De Ro

----------- Occean ----- Radzinski ------------

We are seriously going to miss DeVos' leadership/organizational skills at the back, not to mention Stalteri's ability to start an attack from the RB slot.

Watson needs to have the type of game he had against Honduras, and De Ro needs to play better than he did. He's probably motivated by being taken off, as he looked pissed when the substitution was made.

Hope the fire in the belly is enough for our lads to steamroll through the Ticos. As much as the last match was do or die, for the rest of the round EVERY match is now do or die. We can only afford to lose one more if we win the other three.

Trying to think positive, but I'm hungover and tired from losing sleep over last night's debacle, and quite honestly I'm not sure the lineup I posted above (which is the probable lineup, IMHO) is the one to get the result we need.

Maybe Serioux's scud missile throw ins can connect with Occean's head on occassion, and Radz can pounce of them.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

To be honest, Onstad made one mistake and it was with a bad backpass that he should have clear into the stand, but took to long to clear(he was very lucky on that play). He played well the rest of the game and I don't see why Lars should start????

If we are eliminated, I'm all for giving a start to Sutton or Lars or each one a start.

If by some slim chance we got eliminated in this round, I wouldn't think that it makes sense to play anybody over 25 years old, not if Yallop is truly committed to Canada's soccer future. Bring in Kenny and Thunder if that's the case.

if we get knocked out there is no point in calling up our top players. none. we have the depth and talent at the youth level to be cap-tying these players against upper middle opposition.

and ps-i thought hutch was fantastic. the right back slot is his to lose. stalteri can be de guzman's parter in central midfield.

should we play a 5 man midfield with radz as a cf with occean as a target? (yes, i realize stalty is suspended)

hmmm,

3 at the back

lm-de ro

dm-serioux

cm-stalteri

cm-de guzman

rm-hume

cf-occean

st-radz

We already looked like we were playing a 4-5-1 for long stretches of the second half last night. I thought Hume looked lost position-wise after Peters came in and he was (presumably) told to be playing up front. I loved Radz's efforts tracking back but I started having Leanarduzzi-coached team flashbacks when there was only one target guy or sometimes not even one guy left up front.

Hutch was as great as I knew he could be but it was obvious he was in the wrong position and wanted to switch with Imhof. Radzinski was hanging back looking for a knock down from someone, DeRo came off shaking his head at the futility of playing the left wing when he's a right footed striker. Poor Attiba was getting a lecture from Watson at half time that seemed to throw him off his game after that, but did anyone else notice there seemed to be a lot of confused players out there? Blame the ref and rightly so, but the fact was Frank is experimenting with systems that don't work.

If Hutch had switched with Imhof he would have hammered that shot home instead of shanking it!

If Brennan had been at left back he would have chipped for the far post instead of an underhit backpass when protecting a lead with ten minutes to go.

It's all speculation but Frank has only so many chances to get it right, especially when the referees call back one goal and gift another to the opposition!

We're going to need to score three in San Jose for a 2-1 win!

Guest Georgio

Atiba did not looked lost. He combined well with the rest of the young guys and played steady. He made no glaring mistakes. He did not get beat on his side. Actually Jazic was beaten more then Atiba by diving in twice even though I think Jazic played excellent (minus the pass back). I think what you guys maybe complaining about Atiba is he doesn't look fluent and is slightly unorthodox. But he is under control, that's just his body type and how he moves. He maintained possession for us.

I am so proud of our boys! They played great, including Watson.

I just hope our strikers can start making the difference now.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I just don't understand this criticism of Atiba's performance last night. What the hell game were you guys watching? The one the Ref saw as well?

I never said anything about Atiba, on the contrary I said everybody played well.

Archived