What happened to Edmonton?

Daniel

We play in Edmonton because it's supposedly the best choice, with a great pitch and great support.

A slippery field, long grass, mud and sand pudding, football markings and LESS THAN 10,000 people!!! What the hell? We can get 50,000 for teenage girls soccer but not 10k for a WCQ!!!???

Now I'm REALLY pissed Montréal doesn't get a game. We get more for Impact games and our field is definitely not crappy when compared.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

We play in Edmonton because it's supposedly the best choice, with a great pitch and great support.

A slippery field, long grass, mud and sand pudding, football markings and LESS THAN 10,000 people!!! What the hell? We can get 50,000 for teenage girls soccer but not 10k for a WCQ!!!???

Now I'm REALLY pissed Montréal doesn't get a game. We get more for Impact games and our field is definitely not crappy when compared.

Unfortunately I think there are not many here which have the same point of view.

Obviously, I agree with you. Do you know hat the exact attendance was?

I went to watch the game a CHAMPS and it was a blast,many honduran supporters, but the abience was great!!

They should have just had the game in Vancouver, or Kingston, at least the place would have looked at ltittle more full.

Less than 10k in a 60k stadium. That really sucks donkey b[8]lls.

I can relate, watching expos games is exactly the same! There is no ambience, nothing!!

I was at the game and from where I sat the energy was great. I would have loved to see the place packed but I think we supported our club well tonight. I do however completely agree with the pitch conditions. I mean what the hell was up with the mud on the edges? I thought commonwealth stadium was better than this.

The field was awful for the Churchill Cup as well with CFL and soccer lines visible on the field. The rain we've had during the summer hasn't helped and the field was certainly worse tonight.

The city probley doesn't care as long as the field looks great for Friday.[}:)]

Should have had the game in Montreal. That mud patch that was covered by sand (?)

was pretty low class, and to have less than 10,000 people in a 60K stadium because

of the lack of proper marketing is scandalous. We would have 12K in Claude Robillard.

quote:Originally posted by DjinnX

I do however completely agree with the pitch conditions. I mean what the hell was up with the mud on the edges?

I also enjoyed the atmosphere but not the result of course at last nite's match.

With regard to the pitch conditions and in particular the muddy patches on the sidelines I suspect [as I said in another thread]that was caused by the soccer dimensions exceeding in width those of a CFL game. I think that those areas are where the teams usually have their benches and as a result there is considerably more wear and tear that might otherwise be obscured from view during a CFL game by the "astro-turf" tarp they usually lay down.

Of course the weather of late did not assist.

It did turn out to be a great nite for soccer. Those ominous thunderheads that appeared in the second half spared us a downpour.

I seriously doubt that Montreal would have attracted much more in the way of fans despite the support the Impact have received of late. Maybe more Honduran fans from the NE USA. We are in a "trough" right now with regard to Cdn support which I hope we rise out of over the next few years.

I have always contended that there are about 5,000 hard core soccer fans in this city [Edmonton] who will go to just about anything [goodness, even a chauvinistic pig like myself who abhors most female sport competitions..much to my wife's disgust...went to the U-19 Competition]involving soccer and thereafter the balance has to be made up by great weather, a special event or a groundswell of emotion and patriotism that catches peoples' imagination like the aforementioned U-19 tournament.

Despite my derogatory comments concerning female sports I have never been more proud of a Cdn soccer event than that final game with all those people cheering and waving Cdn flags for a Cdn soccer team...never mind a Cdn soccer team composed of young ladies. Oh, if only Sinclair could have poked that loose ball home in the dying seconds the sound of the crowd would have been outstanding.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Write to the CSA pressing them to put a game in Montreal, it's too late for this WCQ, unless a miracle happens and we advance (won't happen). Another Gold Cup is due for next year so try and get

some of Canad'a friendlies prior to that event in Montreal.

The people of Edmonton should be ashamed, no more soccer there.

Attendance in Edmonton for WCQ matches.in the past.

Australia (94)- 27,772

Panama (98)- 5,255

Cuba #1 (98)- 6,000

Cuba #2 (98)- 10,000

Costa Rica (98)- 10,000

Mexico (98)- 12,000

T&T (98)- 25,000

The attendance that we got on Saturday goes in well with what we've been getting for past WCQ matches here in Edmonton.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Australia (94)- 27,772

Panama (98)- 5,255

Cuba #1 (98)- 6,000

Cuba #2 (98)- 10,000

Costa Rica (98)- 10,000

Mexico (98)- 12,000

T&T (98)- 25,000

The attendance that we got on Saturday goes in well with what we've been getting for past WCQ matches here in Edmonton.

Are you sure about the Panama attendance figure? I was at that game and could have sworn there were as many fans as on Saturday.

Agreed that the attendance was totally pathetic. Tickets were $8!! It just seems that confidence and pride in the MNT is at an all time low. I get the feeling from the soccer community that people don't really want to associate with the MNT. We just don't seem interested which is truly sad. I expected at least 20,000.

Australia (94)- 27,772

Panama (98)- 5,255

Cuba #1 (98)- 6,000

Cuba #2 (98)- 10,000

Costa Rica (98)- 10,000

Mexico (98)- 12,000

T&T (98)- 25,000

Are you sure about the Panama attendance figure? I was at that game and could have sworn there were as many fans as on Saturday.

Agreed that the attendance was totally pathetic. Tickets were $8!! It just seems that confidence and pride in the MNT is at an all time low. I get the feeling from the soccer community that people don't really want to associate with the MNT. We just don't seem interested which is truly sad. I expected at least 20,000.

quote:Originally posted by ditty

I was at that game as well. The only game I missed in those '98 WCQ's was the Costa Rican game. The numbers I got off a website which would be the same from FIFA reports I've seen and from media releases.

The MNT hasn't played here in over 4 years and without the hype that they had from the 2000 Gold Cup. True that the tickets were $8, but the best seats we're expensive. A General Admission plan would've been better.

quote:Originally posted by ditty

I was at that game as well. The only game I missed in those '98 WCQ's was the Costa Rican game. The numbers I got off a website which would be the same from FIFA reports I've seen and from media releases.

The MNT hasn't played here in over 4 years and without the hype that they had from the 2000 Gold Cup. True that the tickets were $8, but the best seats we're expensive. A General Admission plan would've been better.

How was the seating supposed to work? I had an $8 ticket and sat in the 20th row, midfield on the East side. I had no idea where I was supposed to sit regarding what was GA and what was reserved. Where were the more expensive seats supposed to be?

I'm guessing the WC of Hockey hasn't helped with media attention and alot's been said of the effect of the Aviators demise. In any case, the support for this game was a complete failure. How much would a result v Guatemala helped?

Australia (94)- 27,772

Panama (98)- 5,255

Cuba #1 (98)- 6,000

Cuba #2 (98)- 10,000

Costa Rica (98)- 10,000

Mexico (98)- 12,000

T&T (98)- 25,000

That's a good point. The problem is that someone (CSA? media? Aviators ownership? [:P]) has been over-hyping (even if implicitly) Edmonton as an automatic huge crowd.

Archived