Tottenham - Postiga - England - Portugal

TracyRE

Am I the only one who sees an odd connection between Helder Postiga's goal against England in Euro '04 and Spurs' decision to sell him after only one year? I actually joked after watching that game that Postiga would be very unpopular at White Hart Lane this season. I didm't expect him to be moved out. I thought it odd Tottenham would give up on a youngster (20? 21?) loaded with potential (that's what they said when they acquired him). Maybe Santini knows something we don't (was Santini hired when Postiga was sold?). English football can be hard to understand sometimes.

Spurs has a long history of driving young, talented football players into the ground. (They're the Maple Leafs of the EPL, if you will). I'm just glad Postiga got out of there before it was too late for him.

I read an article in "World Soccer" about a month ago. IT talked about how countries who have alot of their NT players playing in England are doing diddley squat in major international tournaments lately. Tough to argue with the author's point.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Spurs has a long history of driving young, talented football players into the ground. (They're the Maple Leafs of the EPL, if you will). I'm just glad Postiga got out of there before it was too late for him.

www.hockeysfuture.com

If you have a problem with the Leafs (and you obviously do), then take it there. Leave your agendas and your bitter Leaf trolling out of non-Hockey discussions. :)

I'm caught in a conundrum. I'm probably the only Gunners fan in the world that actually likes Tottenham. There, I've said it. I didn't choose to be this way, I just am. Secondly, I thought Postiga was one of the better players in the Euro comp. I don't know what happened TracyRE, did he not perform at Spurs? I only really caught their games in the Derby days.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

frostman...you're riding a very thin rope here...

I don't know how I'm going to tell my parents....about the Tottenham thing. My Dad would kill me.

Hey, I don't know why I feel compelled to explain, but my fandom for the Gunners vastly outweighs my slight affinity for Spurs. I just kind of like them in the same way as I like, let's say...... Manchester City. I guess it's kind of a tier 2 appreciation with some underdog zest. I really enjoy smaller payroll, and less talented clubs prove that soccer is often 11 men vs. 11 men. You know - character, effort, motivation, etc.

Am I rambling? Please let me know.

Archived