Canada should give up it's 1st round bye

soccerbeast

Canada should give up it's first round bye in any future WCQ events. We need to play more games then we are playing, and even playing some Concacaf minnows would be better then sitting around with the bye when Concacaf starts it's qualifying. And to be quite honest with what Canada has done in WCQ lately, how does Concacaf justify giving us a bye anyways?

Some of the teams in the first round are made up mostly of fishermen and other guys who sometimes get together to play a pick up game, I dont think you want to have to go play a home and away series with teams like that. Even in the second round, some teams were not very impressive..look at that team that played Mexico (i forget who they were) 18-0 in two games...

quote:Originally posted by Lilloco

Some of the teams in the first round are made up mostly of fishermen and other guys who sometimes get together to play a pick up game, I dont think you want to have to go play a home and away series with teams like that. Even in the second round, some teams were not very impressive..look at that team that played Mexico (i forget who they were) 18-0 in two games...

But it would give the team a better chance to play together and get used to the new system of the new manager. And it would get us a extra home gome that could be played in St Johns,

Halifax, so the rest of the country see a game that matters in qualifying.

quote:Originally posted by Lilloco

You could always do what El Salvador did, which was go to Argentina and play a whole bunch of friendlies against first division teams. Maybe not River or Boca but againt a lot of quality teams like Independiente, San Lorenzo and Racing...

Sounds better than sitting idle.

Well again its about travel and getting our best players that will play in the games some time to play together going to South America is not the option because none of our players will go.

Europe is the answer since most of our players already play over there.

canada didn't give up it's first round matches. we were awarded the bye thanks to our rankings. how is playing some country like turks & caicos be more beneficial than playing a friendly against, say, scotland.

i am all for playing top club teams in friendlies.

of course we didn't take advantage of our international time during the first round of qualifying, did we?

Give up the bye?!?! Sorry, not to be argumentative, but that is a stupid idea.

Let's get our National team to play against CONCACAF part-timers to humiliate them by more than 10 goals?

Or worse yet subject them to wear and tear or injury against THOSE guys?

The fact is THOSE part-timers don't have the skill or professional courtesy of higher opposition. Whether it would be on purpose or not, wouldn't it be great if one of our guys tears ligaments from a clumsy challenge. Seeing DeVos limp off with the score 7-0 does not appeal to me much.

FIFA won't allow us to set our own rules and skip the bye. If they do why don't we ask for a free pass to WC2006?

Everyone knows that we need more friendlies but NOTHING good can come from beating up on some poor nation. We are going forward. We are playing friendlies with top teams in Europe now, because we have a good clean reputation. The Czechs for instance knew that someone from Canada was not going to take out Nedved with a crazy challenge and knock him out of Euro2004.

We can get better playing Wales, Scotland, Switzerland, Germany, Finland & The Republic of Ireland et al.

What do we gain from playing Turks and Caicos Islands, US Virgin Islands, Bahamas and Aruba?

Our team didn't gain very much from playing Belize in the second round , I couldn't imagine playing a team even worse then them in the first round. As I stated a few weeks back, we probably would have been better off playing a Canadian University team rather then Belize. It's the friendlies we play in Europe against stiff competition that will help us in the long run.

quote:Originally posted by soccerbeast

Mexico seems to get a thrill out of it, and now there manager is asking

more of the same in their section.

Dont even get me started about Mexico, if anybody saw these "games" they would have noticed how the Mexicans kept on celebrating their goals even after the tenth one!!!..come on, after the tenth goal you should just smile and get back to your side..that really sucked and the worst part is that they will probably be doing it again this round with that "group of death" that they drew..who are the powers they are playing? oh yeah St Kitts and St Vincent..damn, Mexico is really gonna have a tough time getting to the Hex !!!

Japan #18 wanted to play us. The Czechs #5 in the world, Rep. Of Ireland #16 in the world & Germans #11 & W.C. finalists played us. Finland who finished a respectable 3-1-4 in their Euro qualifying group with Italy, Wales, Serbia and Azerbaijan played us recently.

Our recent friendlies have been against top sides; lets keep it that way.

TEAMS DO WANT TO PLAY US because we will give them a good game, a good workout and we will not take liberties with their star players. Even going back the build up to W.C. 1994 we played four of the favourites for the title as their last friendly before the World Cup: Germany, Brazil, Holland & Spain (ALL 4 OF THESE TEAMS MADE THE QUARTERFINALS), where we acquited ourselves quite well (we were the only team to take any points from Brazil that year!!)

That may seem like eons ago but the fact is we HAVE ONLY HAD ABOUT 15 FRIENDLIES since, before we started playing the recent run of friendlies against the Swiss, Scots, Germans et al.

Without taking pressure off the CSA, arranging friendlies can be difficult because of logistics, but it is easier to play opposition in Europe than in the CONCACAF zone. It also does more for us, obviously.

You choose:

The Netherland Antilles or Germany

Guyana or Rep. of Ireland

Cayman Islands or Switzerland

Puerto Rico or Czech Republic

THE ONLY FRIENDLIES WE SHOULD EVER PLAY IN CONCACAF IS MEXICO or USA. ANYTHING ELSE IS USELESS.

Do we really have to "prepare" to pound these minnows in qualifying?

anything else is useless? i'd love to see friendlies against el salvador, t & t, honduras, costa rica, and i know i am forgetting another good team or two. of course matches against USA and mexico are important.

i for one would rather we play our regional rivals before we play european teams. how are we going to be succesful in qualifying if we play a totally different game and aren't ready for what will be thrown at us?

quote:Originally posted by Have Flag-will travel

THE ONLY FRIENDLIES WE SHOULD EVER PLAY IN CONCACAF IS MEXICO or USA. ANYTHING ELSE IS USELESS.

I hope you are not saying that playing Costa Rica and Honduras is useless. I dont know if you have watched Mexico or the U.S play lately but they are basically the same team from the past. I am watching the U.S. - El Salvador game right now and eventhough they are winning, it is obvious that they have lost a step or two. Things are changing around the CONCACAF...Guatemala is growing, as August 18th shows clearly and Honduras has a better team now than it has had in a long time...(and the kids behind this generation is even better)..Jamaica aparently is starting to come back and Trinidad and Tobago always makes trouble for their opponents. Cuba almost knocked out Costa Rica and are playing really nice and even Panama is starting to gain a reputation as a hard team to play. What I mean to say is that if you ignore these other teams you sre headed for a rude awakining..CONCACAF is not only the States and Mexico anymore...

We need to play Concacaf like opponents

Not forced fron Concacaf, but then, search European team that have the same style (fast technical dwarfs)

Not to be surprised the players lost some understanding when they play british style teams, totally opposite to Concacaf, and then Guatemala

Archived