Word from Canadian practice reaches Honduras

Lilloco

According to the papers, Canada played against Edmonton FC and beat them 4-1. The interesting part of this, for the Honduran press, was that the Edmonton FC was told to place their players in the same formation that Honduras used against Canada 4-4-1-1, and that Yallop placed a man to shadow the right side Edmonton midfielder(apparently this is supposed to be Rambo). It was also revealed that Canada formed a 4-4-2.

As much as I have enjoyed attending the open practice I went to at the 2002 Gold Cup, I'm starting to wish Canada's practices were closed affairs. Honduras should not have this information. The Guats should not have had a photographer at our practice in Vancouver.

I wonder who scored our goals! I'm sure it was more of a scrimmage type game without a referee, light tackling and a very laid back game/scrimmage. Nonetheless, this is great for the Canadian squad, getting a 90 minute game/scrimmage; the more they play in a game together, the better this team will get.

I'm really not too concerned about this, you can't really expect Honduras to make wholesale changes just because we beat a crappy Edmonton club 4-1 using similar formations. In fact, if this story is true, I'm pleased to see that Yallop was able to get a scrimmage together with Edmonton to get the boys on the same page and used to playing together again. I think we all know that there is no way we had enough time to arrange a friendly with any other country, so getting a scrimmage with the local Edmonton A-league team was definitely the next best thing....didn't somebody on the board bring up this idea last week ?? nice work...

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Pat let in the lone goal? Oh no we're doomed ... (kidding)

You guys are merciless..but you havent seen bad goalkeeping till you see the Honduran keeper, Noel Valladares, they call him Papa Noel cause he always leaves gifts for the forwards to score with..

quote:Originally posted by Lilloco

According to the papers, Canada played against Edmonton FC and beat them 4-1. The interesting part of this, for the Honduran press, was that the Edmonton FC was told to place their players in the same formation that Honduras used against Canada 4-4-1-1, and that Yallop placed a man to shadow the right side Edmonton midfielder(apparently this is supposed to be Rambo). It was also revealed that Canada formed a 4-4-2.

I think is safe to say that Honduras are a 100% better side then

Edmonton Aviators FC.The fact we gave up a goal to them has to be a concern.

Why on earth be concerned about giving up one goal in a fairly laid back scrimmage ??? First off where no one is risking injury and most of our top players from Europe are still battling jet lag after playing in Europe Saturday and a couple of them on Monday , some of these guys have only been in the country 48 hours. This was a chance for some our guys to get a good run under their belts and get reacquainted playing with each other (esp. Hume , Radz, and Devos). If the score ended up 0-0 or 1-1 , maybe it would sound off an alarm bell or two, but I don't think anyones gonna be losing any sleep over that Edmonton goal.

Travis: Was the side with 11 Canadians more or less Yallop's favoured starting side? Sounds like it must have been if Radz, Pesch, and DD scored for them. If that's the case, which side did Josh play in? Just curious.

You're probably right, codegoat. That certainly makes more sense than having the 7 national team players sitting on the bench while the EdFC guys are on the field.

I'd be interested to find out how Gordon Chin performed in the scrimmage. I hope Yallop isn't planning to add still more untested guys to the roster at this point. But Chin's the one EdFC player who wouldn't look out of place in a practice session with the national team. He's also familiar with Hume and Simpson from the WYC.

quote:Originally posted by Lilloco

You guys are merciless..but you havent seen bad goalkeeping till you see the Honduran keeper, Noel Valladares, they call him Papa Noel cause he always leaves gifts for the forwards to score with..

LOL! Hey, I hope he's as crap as you say he is.

quote:Originally posted by Chet

BTW, what's wrong with this picture? The Canadian National Team holds a practice in a Canadian city playing against a Canadian professional team, and the Canadian fans have to go to a Honduran media source to find out about it.

They werern't playing Edmonton FC.

quote:Originally posted by codegoat

Dave, I don't wanna throw too much info out. We don't have an area that is guaranteed only to Canadian eyes

Very astute of you. I would also suggest that anyone else with inside info refrain from posting it on this board. It's bad enough that some of our practices are "open" while the Honduran ones are not.

I'm hoping that Yallop has something up his sleeve for the Hondurans, and that he has asked the players to avoid talking strategy with media or others who might relay it to the opposition. If that were the case, Codegoat's comment might be in keeping with this.

I know that if I were Yallop I would be very concerned by our inability to shut down Guatemala, and would be looking to make some changes, not only in personell but in formation as well.

Nobody needs to pay the Edmonton FC players right now, this is a way of showing that the team still exists and to try and help find a new ownership group in Edmonton. So that we can someday have a league.

The Season is over and the players have been given the money that they agreed to be paid. They just don't have a owner for next season and if they don't find one then they are finished. This will mean the end of pro soccer in Edmonton and probably the end of any chance at ever getting a pro soccer league in canada.

Those two Edmonton Soccer Associations could probably save the team, but nobody thinks non profit organizations can run teams better.

So you are telling me that Edmonton FC players (many who should be getting ready to play indoors) are hanging around Edmonton without any income and playing the national team?

Seems to me that codegoat was most likely correct, that some Edmonton players who are remaining in town filled out a roster that consisted of players from the national team. They hardly could be called Edmonton FC.

Archived