Hargraves do we miss him?

soccerbeast

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

The answer is quite simple.

He isn't playing for Canada because he didn't want to.

Actually he did want to, and was snubbed from the junior side due to not much more than politics...

After that he seemed to lose the passion to play for Canada.

quote:Originally posted by soccerbeast

with Canada's lack of scoring of late, should the CSA got

Owen Hargraves into the national team picture before that traitor

joined the England louts? Myself i could care less about him, but

friends in the uk ask why he isn't playing for Canada, couldn't come up with a decent answer.

I know not of this Owen Hargraves. Perhaps I am ignorant. Or perhaps you are ignorant.

Both of us may have that reputation, but only one of us the reputation for being willingly so, I suspect!

He is Canadian, but we don't want him if he does not want to play for us. He is as much an Englishman as Zidane, Ronaldo or Kluivert, but because his second cousin's Mom visited England once he qualifies to play for them.

The big suck. I'm laughing my ass off because pretty soon he won't be able to crack their lineup. Sven likes him but that won't be enough to keep his place. Hopefully he is made to regret his decision as short sighted and unpatriotic if Canada can make it to the W.C. and he has played his last game for England.

quote:Originally posted by soccerbeast

Myself i could care less about him, but

friends in the uk ask why he isn't playing for Canada, couldn't come up with a decent answer.

Can I kindly ask you to please STOP POSTING IN VARIOUS COLOURS? I would appreciate it ...

To the issue of playing for England, it's simple:

MONEY and Opportunity (to make more money). Think of the deals with Adidas or Nike, side by side with Posh & Becks, idolized by a 24-hr football-crazed continent, pursued by EPL teams, games shown on TV more than your Canadian mates with other teams ...

But life isn't always about that. That's why De Vos, McKenna, Pesch, De Guzman, and Hume play for our team. That's what you tell your UK mates. That's also why you should support your team and not diss them.

he left cause canadian soccer is run by parents up to about U20. Its parents and coaches that have grudges against others thats why there are so many cliques and teams that stick together. He got cut from the juniors and then signs with munich? why wouldnt he go play for england?

quote:Originally posted by Celtic

he left cause canadian soccer is run by parents up to about U20. Its parents and coaches that have grudges against others thats why there are so many cliques and teams that stick together. He got cut from the juniors and then signs with munich? why wouldnt he go play for england?

That's a pretty bogus statement considering he admitted in an interview that he would play for Canada, right before he played for England. So you can add liar to the list of adjectives that describe him as well.

Still love the english commentators.

"Bayern's Canadian born Englishman"

There is a certain quality which just can't be faked if you're brought up learning the english language properly. I guess I can appreciate it having been brought up learning the english language in back lanes and apartment block parking lots instead of a class room.

No way I could ever pull off a "Bayern's Canadian born Englishman" in the same way and with the same effect. So matter of factly but with just anough underline disrespect as to mirror the somewhat indefensable actions of a young Canadian pulling on an England kit. Add to that it's delivered in a way that the commentator feels it's worth mentioning but the subject of the comment isn't realy worth mentioning in any way except as a passing thought. And not a pleasant thought either.

You realy have to train your voice, timing, and word selection to get all that out of four words. Fu'k, it's brilliant.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

feck man. just do a site search. this has been disgussed ad nauseum.

I did a site search to find out more about this topic. It was mostly negative comments and name calling (which I enjoy.) But, I didn't find very much actual information or testimonial on the true reason why he departed (other than the obvious reason of huge opportunity.) I was always under the impression that he was rejected by the CSA, and explored other options. I wouldn't be surprised by this, if it was the truth.

quote:Actually he did want to, and was snubbed from the junior side due to not much more than politics...

Two others got cut from the same team. They didn't end up whining like him, and got called up later on.

So the answer is still the same. He didn't want to play for the country he was born in.

quote:Originally posted by frostman

I did a site search to find out more about this topic. It was mostly negative comments and name calling (which I enjoy.) But, I didn't find very much actual information or testimonial on the true reason why he departed (other than the obvious reason of huge opportunity.)

The reason there isn't too much concrete information on this forum is because this forum started in May 2003. You have to go back to 2000-2002 on the old forum to see how the story unfolded.

quote:I was always under the impression that he was rejected by the CSA, and explored other options. I wouldn't be surprised by this, if it was the truth.
He was cut by the U17 team, that's it. That's not a rejection. As others have said, other players were cut by this same team but are now playing for Canada.

OH was later wanted by the senior team (I can't remember if he was wanted by the U20 team), and, as Massive Attack mentioned, he said on Canadian television that he would play for us. But, while he could have played for us right then, he decided to wait and wait because he knew England and Wales were also interested.

I don't think his decision had anything to do with holding a grudge against the CSA. Lots of people have tried to make this appear to be true, but I don't recall OH ever making any negative comments about Canada. I think this was a decision to play for the best national team he was eligible for, simple as that.

do we miss him. maybe for depth purposes. he would probably start in the middle as a ball winner. but would a hargreaves-de guzman combo be superior to a de guzman-bircham or de guzman-serioux centre pairing. i dont think so. for what a ball-winner does, hargreaves isnt as effective as either of those two.

do we miss him. maybe for depth purposes. he would probably start in the middle as a ball winner. but would a hargreaves-de guzman combo be superior to a de guzman-bircham or de guzman-serioux centre pairing. i dont think so. for what a ball-winner does, hargreaves isnt as effective as either of those two.

it would be superior to a deguz-birch pariing for sure!

he playin on the right at bayern i believe.....so him on the right with serioux-de guz in the middle then whoever franky feels on the left (maybe hume, apparently he's good with both feet) hey thats a thought....

current midfeild:

rm: bernier/diesel - deguz - serioux - humie

hell ya never know

Archived