322 words

31 August 2004

Edmonton Journal

Final

D10

English

Copyright © 2004 Edmonton Journal

EDMONTON

EDMONTON - It's put up or shut up time for Canada's national soccer team.

Coach Frank Yallop's squad badly needs to rebound against Honduras Saturday night at Commonwealth Stadium after suffering a lethargic 2-0 loss to Guatemala in Vancouver two weeks ago in their first 2006 World Cup qualifying match.

In that game, Canada was missing two injured veterans -- Ipswich Town defender Jason DeVos and Fulham striker Tomasz Radzinski.

The turnaround won't be easy.

Honduras recently shocked Costa Rica 5-2 on the Costa Ricans' home pitch with three goals in the last 13 minutes. Italian-based striker David Suazo led the charge for Honduras.

At 59th in the world, Honduras is ranked considerably higher by FIFA than is Guatemala, at 76th. Canada is ranked 96th.

Yallop will have 13 players from the team that struggled against Guatemala on Aug. 18, and he'll have five additions. DeVos and Radzinski will play, as will midfielder Julian de Guzman from Hannover 96 in Germany. De Guzman has recovered from a hamstring pull.

Defender Tony Menezes, playing in China, and goalie Lars Hirscheld, recently signed by Dundee United, will also be here. Midfielder/forward Iain Hume from the English Second Division Tranmere Rovers, suspended against Guatemala, will be available.

After Saturday's game, Canada will play Costa Rica (No. 26) in their capital city of San Jose on Sept. 8, in the third World Cup qualifying match.

"The next two games for us are obviously crucial ones," said Yallop.

The Hondurans looked in turmoil in July when Serbian coach Bora Milutinovic quit, claiming he'd been treated like "some kind of criminal" by critics.

Milutinovic had led five different teams to the World Cup. He was replaced by Raul Martinez.

Reserved seats for the 7 p.m. game are $19 to $39 through Ticketmaster.

Colour Photo: (Frank) Yallop

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Honduras plays here in qualifier

The Hondurans looked in turmoil in July when Serbian coach Bora Milutinovic quit, claiming he'd been treated like "some kind of criminal" by critics.

Milutinovic had led five different teams to the World Cup. He was replaced by Raul Martinez.

The problem with Bora was that he was never there, he spent most of his time in Mexico and He was patronising to the press which in a country which is soccer mad is not good, since the press can make you and break you. The guy was charging a crazy amount of money and it didnt seem like the team was getting any better, they were always drawing or losing. So he left..Sambula is Honduran made which means that he knows all about the Honduran soccer player. Just like "Primi" before him (current Guatemalan coach), he is and ex national team player and knows about what the players have to go through. Unlike everybody else though, he is extremely hummble and quiet and knows when to talk and when to not say a thing. He just became a coach two years ago i think and ever since he took over the team is playing with a lot more confidence...

Good points Lilloco. Your insights, as always, have been most valuable, especially providing us with an inside picture we otherwise couldn't see.

Sambula may be a better coach than Bora for the Honduras team, and the result against Costa Rica would justify such an argument.

However, let's look at it from another angle. Bora had nothing to prove to the Honduran press, that's not his job. Bora wasn't "charging" anything, it was the contract fee negotiated in good faith before he went, and some fat bishop who rips off the poor peasants by extortion, a big social problem in places like Honduras, and goes out of his way to attend cozy functions with the corrupt elite who also bleed his country and kill his unfortunate underclass, had no right to criticize Bora for what he was rightfully paid. In terms of being misunderstood, even the Chinese started to appreciate Bora's sense of humour, and it is not easy for them. The National Association in Honduras did nothing to back Bora up, even when he was receiving death threats, not like the Chinese, American, Ticos, Nigerian and Mexicans, all of whom did in even more high pressure situations. So, it was like constructive dismissal, and I think that it suited everybody just fine when Bora interpreted properly this as you are not needed anymore. It was not Bora that was the problem. As someone who has worked in a dozen different countries all around the world, including Latin America, I know what the "blame-the-foreigner" game is all about.

Sambula knows how to play the local game better, but that may or may not make him a better coach.

You got some valid points Beaches, Bora got paid what he asked for and that was fair. The problem was that nobody saw any progress in Bora's work. Eventhough it may seem unfair, the reality is that a coach's work is judged on the results obtained and those results were not that great. Honduras kept on losing games to everybody and all Bora could say was.."I am paid to win official games and not friendlies" which is true, but try telling that to the guy who has no money and no job and who's only happiness lies in how well the national team does (sad but its true). Bora is a great coach in my opinion but I think that Sambula is better for Honduras right now. About that blame the foreigner mentality, its true in some cases but it is also true that in many cases what is foreign is seen as better and thankfully this time they were correct in giving the job to a Honduran, someone who knows the mentality of the Honduran player...

Honduras match a must-win -- coach: Frank Yallop wants his inexperienced Canadian squad to show more hustle than against Guatemala

Jim Matheson

The Edmonton Journal

732 words

1 September 2004

Edmonton Journal

Final

D3

English

Copyright © 2004 Edmonton Journal

EDMONTON

EDMONTON - Frank Yallop admits his Canadian boys had better be in full gallop Saturday against Honduras for the second leg of the road to the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

They stubbed their toes against Guatemala two weeks ago in a lacklustre 2-0 loss in Vancouver in the first game of their CONCACAF (Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football) group qualifying.

Honduras surprised favoured Costa Rica 5-2 in their capital, San Jose, in the other first outing, so the Hondurans and Guatemala have their wins (and three points), while Canada and the world 28th-ranked Costa Ricans have no points.

The top two teams in this group after six games advance to a six-team round-robin starting next February, with the top three clubs automatically going to Germany. There's four groupings in the CONCACAF region.

"We can't really afford to lose this one, because the games start to run out and you get desperate," said Yallop, the Canadian coach.

"I think we have to win three games and tie one (of the six, three home, three away) to advance.''

Yallop knows it's an uphill battle for Canada, ranked 96th in the world, to make it to Germany. It's just a number on a piece of paper and Canada is ranked where it is because it doesn't play enough. Honduras is 59th and Guatemala 76th in the FIFA rankings.

Yallop doesn't put too much stock in rankings, but Canada has qualified for only one World Cup, in 1986 in Mexico City. What are the chances Canada will be in Germany in 2006? Ten per cent, 20? "If you were to go to Vegas, and tried to put a bet on us, you'd get good odds of us making it. For Honduras and Costa Rica, better odds, but that's why you play the game.

"We're here to get the negatives out and start thinking positive for this game on Saturday and the one next Wednesday in Costa Rica," said Yallop.

Yallop might like a more stable national side, but Canada has most of its players earning wages overseas. His boys are coming from here, there and everywhere for the international games, most of them from European teams, including star striker Tomas Radzinski from Fulham in the English Premier League and defender Jason De Vos from Ipswich Town in England. They missed the Guatemala game with injuries; midfielder Iain Hume from Tranmere in England was suspended.

"It's always difficult gathering a team together when they're scattered all over ... I wish I could have this group for longer, but it's not easy for them, or me," said Yallop, who had only nine men for a training session Tuesday at Victoria Soccer Club.

The other nine should all be here today for Saturday night's game at Commonwealth Stadium.

"Being the Canadian coach is about hoping the players don't get injured before they join the team, that the travel goes smoothly, hoping they're not too tired going through too many time zones, and away you go," said Yallop. "It's the other things, other than preparing for a soccer game, that I worry about."

Yallop's squad is pretty raw. Eight of the 18 players here have played fewer than 10 games for Canada. Defender Mark Watson, who plays for the Charleston (S.C.) Battery in the A League (73) has the most caps. Forward Paul Peschisolido (Derby County, English First Division) is next with 52. Midfielders Josh Simpson and Jaime Peters have played only one, forward Olivier Ocean just two.

But, as Yallop says, it is what it is. His team just needs some results. And in a hurry.

"We need to start to get serious in this country about what we want from this game," said Yallop.

"We're trying ... we're trying to be competitive in every game in every qualifying round.

"We've got enough players here to do OK."

jmatheson@thejournal.canwest.com

Photo: Chris Schwarz, The Journal / Coach Frank Yallop, centre, works out with his players Tuesday as Canada prepares for Saturday's match with Honduras in World Cup qualifying at Commonwealth Stadium.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/Sports/2004/09/02/612773.html

Must-win situation for Canadian side

ROBERT TYCHKOWSKI, EDMONTON SUN

No pressure, but if Canada loses on Saturday their road to the World Cup goes right off the edge of a cliff. They'll need three wins, at least, in the six-game qualifying tournament to advance to the next round, and after an opening-game loss to Guatemala two weeks ago the Canadians simply can't afford to go 0-2 - not with three of their final four games in Central America.

"The legs didn't seem to be there last game, and that's unfortunate,'' said defender Mark Watson, part of a Canadian contingent that only had two days to prepare for the 2-0 defeat in Vancouver. "But we have a very good chance to put things right Saturday here.''

It won't be easy. The Canadians, ranked 99th in the world, are taking on a club that just put it to Costa Rica, who were favoured to win the round robin, 5-2.

"It's going to be a difficult game, but no games are easy anymore,'' said head coach Frank Yallop. "They're going to be an exciting team to look at, but hopefully we can get a victory in.''

Two of the four teams in Group B (Canada, Honduras, Guatemala and Costa Rica) advance to the final qualifying round, and few are expecting the Canadians to be one of them.

"We're ranked No. 4 in the group, but we just need to make sure we're prepared and ready,'' said Yallop. "If we get a good result against Honduras we'll really be looking forward to the rest of the round. It will blow it wide open.''

Unlike their opening-game loss, when the Canadians were missing three of their best players - Iain Hume, Jason deVos and Tomasz Radzinski, they'll be fully staffed this weekend.

"We didn't have our full side against Guatemala,'' said Yallop. "That's not an excuse, but it's reality. We need our best players ... healthy and ready to play and I feel we have that against Honduras.

"Those are three key players who make us better all around.''

"We've got everybody here that we want here and the guys are excited,'' said deVos. "It's important for us to get a result, we need to get back on track.''

Canada, which hasn't been to the World Cup since 1986, knows it's a long road back.

"We're in a tough group, but it's a funny group; a lot of teams will drop points that you don't expect them to drop,'' said goalkeeper Pat Onstad. "Honduras won on the road, but they could go home and just as easily lose their three home games.

"It's going to be one of those where you have three teams, possibly four, all coming down to the last game.''

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/Sports/2004/09/02/612773.html

Must-win situation for Canadian side

ROBERT TYCHKOWSKI, EDMONTON SUN

No pressure, but if Canada loses on Saturday their road to the World Cup goes right off the edge of a cliff. They'll need three wins, at least, in the six-game qualifying tournament to advance to the next round, and after an opening-game loss to Guatemala two weeks ago the Canadians simply can't afford to go 0-2 - not with three of their final four games in Central America.

"The legs didn't seem to be there last game, and that's unfortunate,'' said defender Mark Watson, part of a Canadian contingent that only had two days to prepare for the 2-0 defeat in Vancouver. "But we have a very good chance to put things right Saturday here.''

It won't be easy. The Canadians, ranked 99th in the world, are taking on a club that just put it to Costa Rica, who were favoured to win the round robin, 5-2.

"It's going to be a difficult game, but no games are easy anymore,'' said head coach Frank Yallop. "They're going to be an exciting team to look at, but hopefully we can get a victory in.''

Two of the four teams in Group B (Canada, Honduras, Guatemala and Costa Rica) advance to the final qualifying round, and few are expecting the Canadians to be one of them.

"We're ranked No. 4 in the group, but we just need to make sure we're prepared and ready,'' said Yallop. "If we get a good result against Honduras we'll really be looking forward to the rest of the round. It will blow it wide open.''

Unlike their opening-game loss, when the Canadians were missing three of their best players - Iain Hume, Jason deVos and Tomasz Radzinski, they'll be fully staffed this weekend.

"We didn't have our full side against Guatemala,'' said Yallop. "That's not an excuse, but it's reality. We need our best players ... healthy and ready to play and I feel we have that against Honduras.

"Those are three key players who make us better all around.''

"We've got everybody here that we want here and the guys are excited,'' said deVos. "It's important for us to get a result, we need to get back on track.''

Canada, which hasn't been to the World Cup since 1986, knows it's a long road back.

"We're in a tough group, but it's a funny group; a lot of teams will drop points that you don't expect them to drop,'' said goalkeeper Pat Onstad. "Honduras won on the road, but they could go home and just as easily lose their three home games.

"It's going to be one of those where you have three teams, possibly four, all coming down to the last game.''

I found a bunch of spanish articles for your viewing enjoyment:

¡A 12 grados!

http://www.laprensahn.com/deportes.php?id=96&tabla=September_2004&fecha=20040902

I think this one talks about how they are worried it will be 12 celsius at game time.

Amado: “Espero seguir la racha ante Onstad”

http://www.laprensahn.com/deportes.php?id=97&tabla=September_2004&fecha=20040902

I think this is the one Lilloco was taling about how their player Amado Guevara has a good record against Onstad

Canadá toma precauciones

http://www.laprensahn.com/deportes.php?id=98&tabla=September_2004&fecha=20040902

This one talks about the scrimmage.

I found more aricles in Spanish if anyone cares:

Bicolor no se inmuta por táctica de Yallop

http://www.laprensahn.com/deportes.php?id=131&tabla=September_2004&fecha=20040903

I think this one talks about how they are preparing for Yallop's tactics, it also mentions a game time temp of 12 degrees.

Canadá se atiene a sus torres

http://www.laprensahn.com/deportes.php?id=134&tabla=September_2004&fecha=20040903

I think this ones just a general preview of Canada.

Un coloso deslumbrante

http://www.laprensahn.com/deportes.php?id=135&tabla=September_2004&fecha=20040903

This ones about West Edmonton Mall, I don't know why its in their sport section.

Hay que calmar las emociones

http://www.laprensahn.com/deportes.php?id=132&tabla=September_2004&fecha=20040903

This one is an interview with De Leon, talking about his move to Catanzaro in Serie B, and how he was in Winnepeg for the Pan Am Games.

Reencuentro en Edmonton

http://www.laprensahn.com/deportes.php?id=133&tabla=September_2004&fecha=20040903

Finally, I think this one is about some Honduran spy at Canada's practice.

Radz told them so

... Canuck striker weighs in on Rooney and flying home

By ROBERT TYCHKOWSKI -- Edmonton Sun

Tomasz Radzinski has never been one to bite his tongue, smile for the cameras and speak in mindless, politically correct soundbites.

Not when the honest answer is right there, tempting him like a slow rolling ball at the side of a wide-open goal, just waiting to be pounded home.

So when reporters approached the star striker and asked him about Everton teammate Wayne Rooney, Radzinski wound up and buried that slow roller into the heart of the mesh: The 18-year-old sensation is too big for Everton, he said, and the best thing he can do is get out as fast as he can.

You can imagine the chuckle Everton management got out of that one. It was like somebody on the 1982 Oilers telling Wayne Gretzky to bolt Edmonton.

"That advice cost me two weeks wages, unfortunately," grinned Radzinski, as he and the rest of Team Canada wrapped up their second-last workout before Saturday's World Cup qualifying match with Honduras.

But somebody somewhere along the line took it to heart because Rooney has just been dealt to Manchester United for a whopping $70-million transfer fee. Radzinski hates to say he told you so, but ...

"I think it's good for Wayne that he's leaving because the media attention was becoming too big for him in Everton. At Man United he's just going to be one of the many, many stars. They're going to leave him a little bit alone so he can have a normal 18-year-old private life now."

Radzinski, one of the best pure talents Canada has boasted in quite some time, also had a change of address. He turned down a three-year contract offer from Everton (the team that paid 4.5 million pounds for him in 2001, the highest transfer fee ever for a Canadian player) and was subsequently transferred to Fulham. He says the move is the best thing that ever happened to him, but is still appealing the Everton fine.

"Opinions are being asked about Wayne Rooney every day, so you give your opinion," he shrugged. "I thought it was not fair towards me after the service I provided to Everton for three years."

Now he's in Edmonton, for the first time since becoming a big-time Premier League striker, set and determined to help Canada pick itself off the ground, dust off that 99th-place ranking and play its way into the biggest show on earth.

"Everybody wants to play in the World Cup," said the 30-year-old Torontonian, who wasn't on the Canadian side during their ill-fated bid for a 2002 World Cup berth. "This time around it's something I've set my mind on. I spoke to every single guy on the team and they're going to do everything they can to get there. If you have that mentality I think you can achieve a lot."

Then we asked about the difficulty of bringing Canadian players home from Europe for these matches and, well, Radzinski pounced on that slow roller like a cat.

"Players are willing to be here, but the travelling arrangements are crap," he said. "We have examples of guys flying 24 hours in economy class, playing a game and flying back to their club teams.

"Coming over from Europe in economy class is very, very difficult. I don't know what kind of contract the Canadian team has with Air Canada, but to me it just seems like a lot of bull."

He says European teams have become reluctant to let Canadian players fly home because they're wiped out from the travel when they get back.

"I spoke to management and they don't have a problem with me going, as long as I come back fresh. Being on those stupid flights doesn't help."

So why come home? They could stay in England with their huge contracts, sold-out crowds and mass adulation, and blow off the Canadian call altogether. Why fly 20 hours from Europe to Vancouver to play for 6,725 fans, most of whom are cheering for Guatemala?

"The World Cup is the biggest event in the world for any sport and Canadians have only been to the big scene once, in Mexico '86. It's about time.

"And the young lads in this country who are going to the fields every single day and playing by the millions ... if we do get to the World Cup it's going to give a big boost."

And maybe he won't have to tell kids who idolize him that if they want to be players, get out of Canada.

"They pose the question, 'What can I do? The only answer I can give is: Any chance you get, get a try in Europe. Hopefully, if we do get to the World Cup, a small Canadian League can be formed and all the young kids who play this beautiful game can have a future."

Can this Canadian team deliver those goods?

"Definitely, quality-wise, we're better," he said. "I think there's a great deal of talent here and if I didn't believe we could get in I wouldn't be here, believe me."

Canada's soccer team looks to the other team Canada for inspiration Saturday

posted September 3 @ 19:30, EST

EDMONTON (CP) - While the nation's hockey fans are watching Canada skate through the World Cup hockey tournament this week, another Team Canada is trying to win respect on the soccer pitch.

The pressure is on the Canadian men's soccer team to win Saturday's World Cup qualifying soccer match against Honduras after dropping an opening round match at home to Guatemala Aug. 18. Their backs aren't quite against the wall, but should they lose they could be issued blindfolds.

"It puts us in a hole that is not beyond us to get out of, but we've got to start picking points up quickly," Canada's coach Frank Yallop said as his team prepared for Saturday's game (5 p.m. EDT) at Commonwealth Stadium. "Games run out."

Yallop doesn't want to see his team go 0-2 in the six-game semifinal playoff. Only the top three teams are guaranteed to advance to the next round in their quest to play in the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

Another loss would force Canada to win three of the next four games - with all but one on the road - to be assured of advancing.

But Honduras could be a monumental challenge. The club, despite losing its coach after the first qualifying round, stunned pool favourite Costa Rica 5-2 away in its opening game.

Yallop said his players are looking to draw some inspiration from the Canadian hockey players dominating the other World Cup in their bid to qualify for soccer's big show. The Canadian hockey team has jumped off to a 2-0 start.

"The guys talked a little about what Canada is doing at the World Cup of Hockey and it gets you going because you want to do well for Canada," Yallop said.

"We're dying to really play well and have a good result for this country and for the game of soccer."

Canada will have a stronger side than it did against Guatemala when several key players were out with injuries or suspensions.

The key addition is Thomas Radzinski, who missed the game two weeks ago with a minor sprain.

Radzinski, who quit Team Canada four years ago, said he wants to play in the World Cup.

"This time, it is something I set my mind on," he said. "I spoke to everybody on the team."

Canada has only qualified for the World Cup once - in 1986 in Mexico - and it didn't score a goal in its debut. But Radzinski said he has high hopes for this squad.

"If I didn't believe we could get in, I wouldn't be here, believe me," he said.

While the pressure on Canada is intense, it is nowhere near what is facing the Hondurans, who faced furious fans when they failed to qualify in 2000.

"They wanted to kill us," said midfielder Ivan Guerrero, only half joking. "We couldn't go back to the country for a little while."

He said what made it worse was Honduras lost three home games, losing only to Mexico on the road.

"It was very tough. The people were very disappointed because they put a lot of hopes in our team and we had done so well. To come so close and not qualify was very disappointing."

Expectations are even higher this time around from the six million Hondurans who follow their national team fanatically.

"All we have is soccer," Guerrero, 26, explained through an interpreter. "Now that we've beat Costa Rica, expectations are even higher."

He said the cold, wet weather expected for Saturday's game won't be much of a factor for him since he plays is Uraguay. He didn't think it will hamper his teammates either.

Honduran coach Raul Martinez, who took over after the first round when harassed veteran coach Bora Milutinovic quit suddenly in July, said his team is prepared for the cold.

"We're very lucky because we don't have to play here two months from now when it is a lot colder," he said.

Regardless of the weather conditions, Martinez said he is expecting a real battle with the Canadians.

"It is going to be a very important game for both of us," he said. "It is going to be a tough game because Canada is coming off a loss and they are playing at home."

Canada swept Belize in the two-game opening round, but was surprised by Guatemala.

Notes: The Canadians will likely be without Paul Stalteri, who tweaked a knee in practice this week. Atiba Hutchinson will likely draw in for him . . . Canada also won't have the services of Tony Menezes off the bench because he suffered a knee injury as well . . . Ante Jazic, of Halifax, who plays in the Russian Premier League, took the longest route to Canada to play in Saturday's game. It took him 11 flights to get home.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/shownews.jsp?content=s090343A

Archived