Man Utd sign Rooney

Montry

The rich get richer...again.

Why do all these stars want to sign with teams that can only offer them half the playing time? van Nistelrooy, Saha, Smith, Rooney....who's in, who's out?

Same for half the Chelsea squad. When will thes guys figure out that if they sign with a team like Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal and are lauded as the "next big thing", a few months later that team will sign the "next next big thing"?

Seems to me I'd rather sign with a Boro/Aston Villa/Tottenham etc., get lots of playing time and help build something. How big an achievement is it to walk into a side that's already guaranteed European competition.

p.s. - caught the comment by the Newcastle bigwig re sale of Woodgate to Real, he said it wasn't about the money; so they would have given him a free transfer???

quote:Originally posted by TracyRE

The rich get richer...again.

Why do all these stars want to sign with teams that can only offer them half the playing time? van Nistelrooy, Saha, Smith, Rooney....who's in, who's out?

Same for half the Chelsea squad. When will thes guys figure out that if they sign with a team like Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal and are lauded as the "next big thing", a few months later that team will sign the "next next big thing"?

Seems to me I'd rather sign with a Boro/Aston Villa/Tottenham etc., get lots of playing time and help build something. How big an achievement is it to walk into a side that's already guaranteed European competition.

p.s. - caught the comment by the Newcastle bigwig re sale of Woodgate to Real, he said it wasn't about the money; so they would have given him a free transfer???

Fundamentally you make a good point. BUT, Rooney had to get out of Everton. They're the next Leeds, they wouldn't be able to keep him anyway if they get relegated. To get out of dept they needed a big club to fund the big bucks.

Also, Rooney will look better on Man U getting high quality crosses from high quality players. He'll have fight for his time on the pitch, but Fergie will know when and where to place him, and how to develop him. He's really good at developing talent from youth. You'll see Rooney move from being a good role player at Everton, to a star when he's surrounded by the Man U boys.

But Arsenal will still kick their butts.

Round and round we go, where it stops...

Big clubs buy the small(er) clubs' best players thereby limiting the small(er) clubs' chances of European success (where the money is) so they can't afford to keep their best players who are sold to the big clubs.

I know it's a fact of life in professional soccer but...did someone say SALARY CAP?

Or how about a cap on transfer fees?

Comrade! Why don't you just squash those bourgoise rat's, and long live the proletariat. We should have teams that are owned by the fans with fan caps in place! As soon as a team gets enough fans to support it, we'll create a new team to balance the competition. We'll make sure that a 120 year old club in a major urban centre can fairly compete with the village teams.

Sorry for the sarcasm, I know it goes miles beyond your intended point. But I'm kind of a capitalist that way. I like the drama of the superclubs. I also like to see david and goliath type victories like Tranmere and Millwall were pulling off last year in the FA Cup. Didn't you love to see Porto with a tiny salary beat all of the superclubs in Europe. Instantly, the club was stripped of all their stars to super clubs. In soccer, there's a lot of room to groom superstars, get them noticed, and receive a whole bunch of money based on their future value. Everton just balanced their books! Who knows how good Rooney will actually be? What if he turns into a Gascoine?

Ahhhhh, salary caps , revenue sharing . Competitive leagues .

Should I start my plea for a Euro Super League again .......nah....

I still find the top Euro leagues a collection of the top 4-5 clubs and the rest .

So yes with-out salary caps and revenue sharing the rich will protect themselves from the proletariat. Wealthy clubs of Europe unite.

Wait there already is one ....that I forget the name of ......

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Ahhhhh, salary caps , revenue sharing . Competitive leagues .

Should I start my plea for a Euro Super League again .......nah....

I still find the top Euro leagues a collection of the top 4-5 clubs and the rest .

So yes with-out salary caps and revenue sharing the rich will protect themselves from the proletariat. Wealthy clubs of Europe unite.

Wait there already is one ....that I forget the name of ......

I'm in! Where's the sign-up list? Let's turn the Champions league into just that - a league!

Sarcasm, shmarcasm - no apology necessary.

I guess I'm just a bit of a romantic when it comes to a game as pure as soccer (yes the GAME is still pure). It must be frustrating for some supporters to have their teams constantly develop/discover talent that will only be fully realized by another team.

BTW, good point on Rooney's future success. I think we've been blinded by his early progress and an almost desperate desire by the English football community (fans, media, coaches, etc.) to have someone (Gazza, Owen, Becks...) lead the Three Lions to international glory.

BTW BTW, I'll give you Tranmere's win over Bolton was an upset. But Millwall (Div 1 last year) didn't even face a higher league until the final, or were you referring to their trouncing of 2-0 Telford United (Football Conference)?

It's not as though Everton could afford to pay the man anyway. He's going onto Manchester United to make his 2-2 1/2 million pound a year (or more) and Everton will get there 20 millions over the next two seasons to eat away at their rather significant dept load.

If the club can manage to stay in the EPL, with the Rooney transfer moneys they'll have managed to have gotten over a rather considerable economic hump.

And short of Rooney carrying the club into the top six and onto Europe there's no way he'd ever make EFC 20 million pound. And somehow I just don't ever see that happening.

What was that slut Saha's transfer fee? 12 millions wasn't it? Fulham dumped a million pound wage and went 12 million to the good. For as small an EPL club as you can get that's significant cash and given they receive a smaller peice of the TV revenue pie than anyone else it sure dose help to make up the difference somewhat.

So if the rich want to pay, fine. If it helps to keep the little fish stable and competative even better. It's a hard way to make a living.

Little fish will always have to work twice as hard as the big fish to swim up stream. But that's just the way it is. There's no messing with Mother Nature.

Archived