Any gatherings for the Canada-Honduras game?

ballboy

It is (the Sports Centre Cafe). I think that we've watched a soccer game there before, but never against a 'Team' Canada hockey game. It usually does pretty well for hockey (I've watched some Olympics and playoff games there) , but I'm not sure how the bars are doing for the World Cup. Working against us is that it's Saturday night and it's Russia.

I think a smaller pub with a big screen is bound to work better for us. Graeme...maybe you could check a couple of the pubs at Yonge - St. Clair? Like the Court Jester maybe?

Blair

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got back home and unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to go out and check out different places tonight.(ie Court Jester... ...) I will probably be out in the day tomorrow but if it's meant to be, and we have enough #s, I would definately like to watch the game with you guys.

So if it's good for everyone, I look forward to you guys leaving the "gathering place" and address information so I can go over to meet you guys, provided that it's relatively downtown.

If I don't get to watch the game with you guys, then there's always Weds night... ...

Cheers, guys!

And how's Mrs. Ben Lauden doing?

The Keays' have been pretty silent on the boards for the last while.

I'm going to check a place close to where I live, to see what their setup is like and if they could accommodate our request for the soccer game with volume, (including during the hockey game.) unfortunately, I think it's going to be a tall order. I think Scallywags could have accomodated us on the rooftop patio, so it's a shame that they're temporarily shut down.

Blair

quote:Originally posted by Ben Lauden

The DTUltras will be there. Who else is coming? The Keays, Marc P,?

quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper

And how's Mrs. Ben Lauden doing?

The Keays' have been pretty silent on the boards for the last while.

I'm going to check a place close to where I live, to see what their setup is like and if they could accommodate our request for the soccer game with volume, (including during the hockey game.) unfortunately, I think it's going to be a tall order. I think Scallywags could have accomodated us on the rooftop patio, so it's a shame that they're temporarily shut down.

Blair

Hey, well, there will be no appearance from the Whitby Ultras, Sean is working, and well we're down to a single vehicle due to the Horizon getting smashed up. Ill probably wind up watchin from the comfort of my own home, cause really, I cant help but think the chances of getting a tv on the night of a Team Canada [:P] hockey game isnt too likely.

Hey BL:

I checked with the Bedford Pub, at Yonge & Lawrence. They've got two or three 30" TV's or so, one in the front near the bar, one in the back of the room. I asked the day manager if they'd be showing the hockey game, he said that they would. So, I mentioned that maybe 10 of us would be interested in watching the soccer game at 9:00 with volume. He indicated that it wouldn't be a problem, one of the TVs could be set to the soccer game. And with volume. Which all sounds good. At least at 1:30 PM it does.

But there hasn't been a huge response to this thread. The number of people who have expressed interest are only in the four or five or six range (me, you, ballboy, g_l, jayway, and massive attack). If you're up for hosting, I think that's our best plan of attack.

Blair

Edited for the initial egregious exclusion of Mr. Jay Way. Sorry Jay, I guess I owe you a beer next time.

quote:Originally posted by Ben Lauden

If we can't come up with a pub, I would be into hosting a get together in lovley downtown cabbagetown. Sorry GL I don't have HUGE tv, just a 20".I'll be out for this afternoon so i'll check back later.

Jay was interested in well. Would 6 people not be enough?

In any event, Renna's will have the Canada match tonight and they have a big screen. Also showing Argentina vs Peru and Croatia's World Cup qualifier (can't remember who it's against). But people have to let me know if that's convenient for them to get to.

No good news on the Weds. front thus far. I've been phoning sports bars around the city to see if any at this afternoon's Italy WCQ match (none of them do) and none claim to have Sportsnet Pacific for the purposes of the Wedsn. match. The Sports Centre Cafe at St.Clair & Yonge wasn't sure if they did and asked me to call on Tuesday to make sure. Renna's said they didn't have it.

Why is this so difficult? :(

(sneaking in and out)... ...so let's see what options that we might have over here... ...

Renna's, Bedford Pub and BL's home? (if it's do-able for you, thanks for hosting)

IF Bedford is okay, will that seem to be the most central location? (I am not too sure where BL lives and I am not too sure if it's too much troubling him and his family... ...)

Either way, I will let you gentlemen decide but we might have to sort it out soon... ...I still hope we can stay in the GTA area... ...

(sneaking in and out)... ...so let's see what options that we might have over here... ...

Renna's, Bedford Pub and BL's home? (if it's do-able for you, thanks for hosting)

IF Bedford is okay, will that seem to be the most central location? (I am not too sure where BL lives and I am not too sure if it's too much troubling him and his family... ...)

Either way, I will let you gentlemen decide but we might have to sort it out soon... ...I still hope we can stay in the GTA area... ...

I would definitely go to Renna's, but (and there's always a big BUT) of the list of 6 I think that four of us are TTC hounds. Our usual chauffeurs (Mr. Free Kick and Mr. toronto support) are in the land of the $3 BILLION surplus to see the game in person.

Blair

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

In any event, Renna's will have the Canada match tonight and they have a big screen. Also showing Argentina vs Peru and Croatia's World Cup qualifier (can't remember who it's against). But people have to let me know if that's convenient for them to get to.

No good news on the Weds. front thus far. I've been phoning sports bars around the city to see if any at this afternoon's Italy WCQ match (none of them do) and none claim to have Sportsnet Pacific for the purposes of the Wedsn. match. The Sports Centre Cafe at St.Clair & Yonge wasn't sure if they did and asked me to call on Tuesday to make sure. Renna's said they didn't have it.

I would definitely go to Renna's, but (and there's always a big BUT) of the list of 6 I think that four of us are TTC hounds. Our usual chauffeurs (Mr. Free Kick and Mr. toronto support) are in the land of the $3 BILLION surplus to see the game in person.

Blair

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Well my local Boston Pizza gets Sportsnet Pacific, so there's one problem solved for Wednesday. Discovered this when searching in vain for some European soccer matches (I've now officially given up). And they close at 1am.

Incredible that nobody has any soccer games on tv this afternoon. Plenty of useless Australian Rules Football, but no World Cup soccer. ??????

quote:But there hasn't been a huge response to this thread. The number of people who have expressed interest are only in the four or five or six range (me, you, ballboy, g_l, jayway, and massive attack). If you're up for hosting, I think that's our best plan of attack.

I'm still up for hosting if thats cool with everyone. (Did i mention I still have beer left over from the wedding):)

If not i'd vote for the Bedford since it's on the subway.

quote:(sneaking in and out)... ...so let's see what options that we might have over here... ...

I live downtown near gerrard and parliament.

Ben, better give us an address, otherwise few will be able to attend. :)

Also, advice as to parking would be good, and permission to come over a bit earlier (so we can catch some of the Canada-Russia game beforehand while we are at it).

I hope your wife doesn't mind if we swear...I tend to curse a lot if things aren't going well & when Sportsnet's camera work prevents me from seeing what is going on.

Hopefully their will only be joyful swearing tonight!

quote:Ben, better give us an address, otherwise few will be able to attend. :)

Also, advice as to parking would be good, and permission to come over a bit earlier (so we can catch some of the Canada-Russia game beforehand while we are at it).

I hope your wife doesn't mind if we swear...I tend to curse a lot if things aren't going well & when Sportsnet's camera work prevents me from seeing what is going on.

Hopefully their will only be joyful swearing tonight!

Ok, the address is: 330 Sumach St. Unit 51, thats just south of carlton. GL take the dvp to bayview south, to river st, and then right on gerrard. Sumach will be the first right. Parking is on the street or there is a lot on parliament st. If you're coming by TTC, because of construction your choices are: take the dundas car to sumach and walk north through regent park[:0], or take the wellesley bus to parliament and wellesley, and walk east to sumach and then south to my place.

Is 8 early enough for you all?

Archived