Alberta Sr. Provl's, Edmonton, Sept 3-6

beachesl

The present ASA downoads do not have the teams involved named.

Okay, pretty weird format for the men's comp. Weirder than the Gold Cup. And why not have the whole tournament at the same complex? The Edmonton Soccer Complex, for instance has 8 good fields.

A chance to watch some extra footy if you are in town for the WCQ. Probably be a chance to play there too on the extra fields. Good draft beer at the Edm Soccer Complex, don't know about the other two places.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

CHALLENGE CUP MEN

2004 TELUS OUTDOOR PROVINCIALS

HOST: EDMONTON

FORMAT: Six Team Round Robin

(Two groups of three with crossovers)

SEEDING: 1. South I 4. Edmonton II 2. Edmonton I 5. Edmonton III 3. South II 6. South III

GROUP I (Seeds #1, 4, 5) GROUP II (Seeds #2, 3, 6) 1. South I 2. Edmonton I 4. Edmonton II 3. South II 5. Edmonton III 6. South III

GAME SEED HOME AWAY DATE TIMEFIELD

1. 5 vs 1 Edmonton III South I Sept. 3 17:45 E 3

2. 6 vs 2 South III Edmonton I Sept. 3 18:15 E 5

3. 4 vs Loser Game #1 Edmonton II Loser Game #1 Sept. 4 11:00ESC 1

4. 3 vs Loser Game #2 South II Loser Game #2 Sept. 4 13:00ESC 1 5.

Winner Game #1 vs 4 Winner Game #1 Edmonton II Sept. 5 12:00Vic 1 6.

Winner Game #2 vs 3 Winner Game #2 South II Sept. 5 14:00Vic 1 7.

Bronze/4th 2nd Place Group I 2nd Place Group II Sept. 6 13:00ESC 1

8. Gold/Silver 1st Place Group I 1st Place Group II Sept. 6 14:00Vic1

If tie in Game #1 or #2, the higher seeded team would play in Game #5 or #6.

All Round Robin segment final standings shall be determined by A.S.A. Round-Robin Tie Breaking Rules.

Medal/Trophy presentations immediately after Game #8 at Victoria Soccer Club.

FIELD LOCATION:

E 3,5 Ellerslie (Scottish) fields, 3105 - 101 Street * Note: Ellerslie road is closed east of 91 Street

Vic 1 Victoria Soccer Club, 14020 - 142 Street

ESC 1 Edmonton Soccer Complex, 14920 - 142 Street

TOURNAMENT MEETING: When: 9:30 pm, Friday, September 3rd Where: Edmonton House Suite Hotel, Madison room, 10205 - 100 Avenue All teams are required to have a team representative in attendance.

* NOTE: Each team playing on Friday, September 3rd will receive a team package, including A.S.A.

game sheets, at the field prior to their first game.

The Tournament Headquarters will be located at the Victoria Soccer Club.

------------------------------------------------------------------

TIER I WOMEN

2004 TELUS OUTDOOR PROVINCIALS

HOST: EDMONTON

FORMAT: Four Team Round Robin

SEEDING: 1. Calgary I 2. Calgary II 3. Edmonton I 4. Edmonton II

GAME SEED HOME AWAY DATE TIME FIELD

1. 1 vs 4 Calgary I Edmonton II Sept. 4 11:00 ESC

2. 2 vs 3 Calgary II Edmonton I Sept. 4 11:00 ESC

3. 3 vs 4 Edmonton I Edmonton II Sept. 5 13:00 ESC

4. 1 vs 2 Calgary I Calgary II Sept. 5 13:00 ESC

5. 4 vs 2 Edmonton II Calgary II Sept. 6 10:00 Vic 2

6. 3 vs 1 Edmonton I Calgary I Sept. 6 10:00 Vic 1

All Round Robin segment final standings shall be determined by A.S.A. Round-Robin Tie Breaking Rules.

Medal/Trophy presentations immediately after Game #6 at the Victoria Soccer Club.

FIELD LOCATION: Vic 1,2 Victoria Soccer Club, 14020 - 142 Street ESC Edmonton Soccer Complex, 14920 - 142 Street * The field assignments will be posted at the Soccer Complex. TOURNAMENT MEETING: When: 9:30 pm, Friday, September 3rd Where: Edmonton House Suite Hotel, Madison room, 10205 - 100 Avenue All teams are required to have a team representative in attendance.

* NOTE: Each team will receive a team package, including A.S.A. game sheets, at the Tournament Meeting.

The Tournament Headquarters will be located at the Victoria Soccer Club.

As far as I can tell, the seeding is as follows:

South I - Callies

Edmonton I - Scottish

South II - Villains

Edmonton II - Green & Gold

South III - Dinos

Edmonton III - Itals

I am not sure if Edmonton III had to play-off against Edmonton IV (which was the case for South III - Dinos who beat Red Deer to go through to provincials). If there was a play-off in the North, then it may not be Itals as Edmonton III.

Based on how the AMSL finished, Group 1 is Callies (finished first in league play), Green & Gold (5th in league play) and Edmonton III (6th or 7th in league play). Group 2 is Scottish (2nd in league play) Villains (3rd in league) and Dinos (4th). Based on this, it seems as though Callies have an easier road to a repeat appearance at the Challenge Cup, although anything can happen!

quote:Originally posted by fishman

Callies are very doubtful to win again...trust me. Although Scottish always seem to botch things up. Go Green and Gold! :)

It's totally wide open this year. I think Callies and Scottish are perhaps the favourites but don't count out Villains or even Dinos from Calgary. Should be interesting.

quote:Originally posted by fishman

Callies are very doubtful to win again...trust me. Although Scottish always seem to botch things up. Go Green and Gold! :)

Trust you that Callies won't win again? I have to say that the safe money is on Callies to repeat. While I have to hand it to Green and Gold (I never would have guessed that they would have done as well as they did, so good on 'em) there's no chance they'll take the provincial crown. Trust me.

Guest Georgio

I'll put my friendly wager on the Villains. They are about due, they played well when it counted last year in the playoffs, they have the least amount of goals scored on them this year so there defense is strong which is important in playoffs, and they have the offensive talent as well.

GP W T L F A P G-Dif Change

Calgary Callies 16 10 2 4 33 21 32 12 2

Edmonton Scottish 16 8 3 5 30 24 27 6 -7

Calgary Villains 16 6 8 2 28 19 26 9 6

Calgary Dinosaurs 16 7 4 5 31 20 25 11 E

Edmonton Green & Gold 16 6 5 5 35 29 23 6 NA

Edmonton Ital-Canadians 16 6 3 7 20 29 21 -9 8

Edmonton Victoria 16 5 3 8 27 39 18 -12 E

Red Deer Renegades 16 4 4 8 23 31 16 -8 E

Lethbridge Croatia 16 2 4 10 17 32 10 -15 -2

from the Calgary Herald

Callies, Dinos on collision course

Saints advance to women's final

It's another all-Calgary final, with foes who are all too familiar.

The Calgary Callies and Calgary Dinos square off this afternoon at Edmonton's Victoria Soccer Club with the Alberta Soccer Association men's provincial outdoor title on the line.

The Callies have won four of the past five Alberta championships, most recently claiming that Challenge Cup crown with a 1-0 win over the Calgary Villains last year.

And even though the Dinos haven't been involved in a provincial final since 1998, these opponents know each other intimately by virtue of the annual summertime Alberta Major Soccer League wars.

"It's two different styles. We're more of a short passing team, and they go for the long pass," said Callies head coach Dave Randall.

"We're built on possession, and they have the strikers up front with the pace to run onto 50-50 long balls," added Randall, whose Callies are defending national men's club champions.

"From our defensive point, that's what we have to look after. And they'll have to try and keep us from controlling the ball."

The Callies and Dinos advanced to today's Challenge Cup showcase by winning their respective pools with 2-0 records.

The Callies shaded Edmonton Green and Gold 2-1 on Sunday, getting goals from Mike Howlett and Chris Kooy.

The Dinos -- who compiled a rather ordinary 7-5-4 AMSL record this year, compared to the Callies' 10-4-2 log -- dispatched the crosstown Villains 2-0.

Chris Mauer and Andrew Zakaluzky scored for the Dinos.

Meanwhile, today's Alberta women's final features the same two clubs as last year -- with the Calgary side hoping for a different result this time out.

In 2003, the Saints lost the Jubilee Shield final 3-1 to Edmonton Victoria, which went on to claim a national bronze medal.

"A lot of people have put in a lot of time and effort to build this team up," said Saints coach Glen Ellis. "Really, that's all the motivation we need."

Midfielder Jill Schade, in the 25th minute, scored the only goal of the game Sunday as the Saints blanked the Edmonton Angels

1-0 to earn a berth in today's final.

Edmonton Victoria advanced with a 2-1 win over the Lethbridge Chargers.

"If we should get behind this time," said Schade, 24, "we know we'll be fighting back."

Archived