MSA Cup final today Red River College

Cheeta

6 o'clock kick off.

Winnipeg Lucania vs SOKOL for the rights to go to the Challenge Cup. Was out earlier and while not realy the best football watching weather it isn't that bad either. Wind's not up, just a bit greasy out and cool enough that the on field product won't over heat.

Wear a hoodie and bring your favorite scarf and you should be just fine.

Could be a real important match as far as the MMSL title race goes as well. Lucania still sit top of table but with some big matchs coming up against SOKOL and the Lions it could be a bit of a mommentum killer should Lucania lose out today in more ways then one.

So dress warm. Bring your flask and see who's greyhounds will rule the day.

:(

An absolute sham.

I've seen some pretty bush productions in my time but the kangaroo court that crucified SOKOL tonight wasn't pathetic only because it had moved beyond pathetic into the neigbourhood of sad.

And possibly the worse part of the whole misadventure was that this years MSA Cup final looked like it could have evolved into one of those classic matchs which people might have been talking about for years to come.

In truth, not Lucania's best match from the few I've seen this season but they were alright enough. This is a side which after all can afford to not be exactly 100% and still show it's quality. But SOKOL, from front to back, had came out to play and were looking organized, dangerous, and focused.

Dangerous? Sure, nothing unusual there. Focused and organized? Quite another matter. But there they were, making the MMSL's league leaders looking alltogether off the mark and unimaginative.

I'm not going to say the ref. and his linesmen brought with them Lucania's plane tickets to PEI, but some others might. By 10 minutes I think a good many in the bleachers knew exactly how this match was going to end. And if it was going to take a sending off or a penalty kick to do it then so be it.

A penalty wasn't necessary but it took two red cards to SOKOL outfielders to guarentee Lucania a win, and even then, just.

SOKOL is a different team with Vaske on the ball and with the creative man playing sweeper most of the night it was a no-panic, keep the ball, and create opportunities at all angles sort of night for SOKOL. Quite the show, realy. Especially coming from a SOKOL side which has so often in the past just not shown the sort of fluid plays which one becomes accustomed to seeing from rivals Lions and Lucania.

It was a pretty physical affair, but within minutes of a SOKOL crossbar and Lucania looking slower, less organized, and less hungry than the defending MSA Cup Champions, SOKOL found themselves down to 10 men when Lucania's Jordan Goetting (I think) got flattend on an up-field touchline release. Normaly one could've called it harsh but arguable if it weren't for the way all the other aspects of the game were being called. I wasn't surprised to find SOKOL down a man at the half, nor were others.

Half time not only found SOKOL with 10 men. But they had a crossbar, an upright, and two leed denying saves. Don't think Lucania had a ball in the SOKOL penalty area.

After the restart SOKOL continued to probe Lucania but the man advantage began to take it's toll and Lucania began to get more control of the center third. The speedy runs down the SOKOL flanks were becoming more and more predicatable but also more dangerous. Not stellar, but bordering on dangerous. The yellows for both sides were beginning to add up and within 20 minutes SOKOL were again shown a red and found themselves with single digit players.

Lucania more confident with more of the ball, and SOKOL being selective about their attacking opportunities (which by now was nearly none) managed to bundle in a second rebound for a 1-nil lead with 10-12 minutes to play. Tim Colisimo the goal scorer (again, I think), who else? Colisimo had a wonderful 2nd half and may have done more had he been provided more of the ball. But as Lucania insisted on trying to break through the SOKOL middle, largely I think due to the excellent countering the SOKOL defence had done against Lucania's bread and butter outside attack during the 1st half, the wing men were marginalised.

Insert a short break due to a "lightning threat" to give everyone a breather, ditch the considerable added time which was expected and the 2nd half ended with a new MSA Cup champion, Winnipeg Lucania.

But not before 9 man SOKOL had a ball cleared off the line at 90 minutes. Nice defensive play to save the day for Lucania and more heart break for SOKOL.

Wonderful match ruined early. And a grand side in Winnipeg Lucania cheated of a worthy victory over a game opponent. But a match somehow despite it all, still saved from the trash bin.

Can't help but feel bitter about it though.

:(

An absolute sham.

I've seen some pretty bush productions in my time but the kangaroo court that crucified SOKOL tonight wasn't pathetic only because it had moved beyond pathetic into the neigbourhood of sad.

And possibly the worse part of the whole misadventure was that this years MSA Cup final looked like it could have evolved into one of those classic matchs which people might have been talking about for years to come.

In truth, not Lucania's best match from the few I've seen this season but they were alright enough. This is a side which after all can afford to not be exactly 100% and still show it's quality. But SOKOL, from front to back, had came out to play and were looking organized, dangerous, and focused.

Dangerous? Sure, nothing unusual there. Focused and organized? Quite another matter. But there they were, making the MMSL's league leaders looking alltogether off the mark and unimaginative.

I'm not going to say the ref. and his linesmen brought with them Lucania's plane tickets to PEI, but some others might. By 10 minutes I think a good many in the bleachers knew exactly how this match was going to end. And if it was going to take a sending off or a penalty kick to do it then so be it.

A penalty wasn't necessary but it took two red cards to SOKOL outfielders to guarentee Lucania a win, and even then, just.

SOKOL is a different team with Vaske on the ball and with the creative man playing sweeper most of the night it was a no-panic, keep the ball, and create opportunities at all angles sort of night for SOKOL. Quite the show, realy. Especially coming from a SOKOL side which has so often in the past just not shown the sort of fluid plays which one becomes accustomed to seeing from rivals Lions and Lucania.

It was a pretty physical affair, but within minutes of a SOKOL crossbar and Lucania looking slower, less organized, and less hungry than the defending MSA Cup Champions, SOKOL found themselves down to 10 men when Lucania's Jordan Goetting (I think) got flattend on an up-field touchline release. Normaly one could've called it harsh but arguable if it weren't for the way all the other aspects of the game were being called. I wasn't surprised to find SOKOL down a man at the half, nor were others.

Half time not only found SOKOL with 10 men. But they had a crossbar, an upright, and two leed denying saves. Don't think Lucania had a ball in the SOKOL penalty area.

After the restart SOKOL continued to probe Lucania but the man advantage began to take it's toll and Lucania began to get more control of the center third. The speedy runs down the SOKOL flanks were becoming more and more predicatable but also more dangerous. Not stellar, but bordering on dangerous. The yellows for both sides were beginning to add up and within 20 minutes SOKOL were again shown a red and found themselves with single digit players.

Lucania more confident with more of the ball, and SOKOL being selective about their attacking opportunities (which by now was nearly none) managed to bundle in a second rebound for a 1-nil lead with 10-12 minutes to play. Tim Colisimo the goal scorer (again, I think), who else? Colisimo had a wonderful 2nd half and may have done more had he been provided more of the ball. But as Lucania insisted on trying to break through the SOKOL middle, largely I think due to the excellent countering the SOKOL defence had done against Lucania's bread and butter outside attack during the 1st half, the wing men were marginalised.

Insert a short break due to a "lightning threat" to give everyone a breather, ditch the considerable added time which was expected and the 2nd half ended with a new MSA Cup champion, Winnipeg Lucania.

But not before 9 man SOKOL had a ball cleared off the line at 90 minutes. Nice defensive play to save the day for Lucania and more heart break for SOKOL.

Wonderful match ruined early. And a grand side in Winnipeg Lucania cheated of a worthy victory over a game opponent. But a match somehow despite it all, still saved from the trash bin.

Can't help but feel bitter about it though.

Yeah, frustrating when the refs step in and decide an important match. Who supplied the refs? Maybe they should bring in credible refs from outside. If the CSA (and its umbrellas, one as far as its FIFA mandate is concerned) was a real organization, there would be things done.

So, I take it the match was a joint Provincial Cup/League match? That sounds weird.

I guess the provincial championships for the PEI Nationals ticket for Alberta is in Edmonton this weekend, chance to see a second or third game besides the Honduras match. Anybody got details?

How about previews or reports from the other Provincial championships guys?

Nope. Stricktly a Cup match. The MMSL runs the tourny in the early stages and the MSA took over for the quarter, semi, and final matchs.

If I remember correctly these two sides play again next weekend in league play and SOKOL have to feel good about their chances this time around. Lucania are currently top of table but still well within sight of both Sons of Italy Lions and SOKOL with matchs remaining against both.

No matter what anyone tells you the only trophy that matters in Winnipeg is the MSA Cup because the winner goes to the Nationals. It's our Champion's League honours out here. And with all of the Big Three (Sons of Italy, Lucania, and SOKOL) having gone onto the Nationals in the last few years and two of the clubs having won the Challenge Cup, the MSA Cup realy has become quite a prize.

Not to say the League title isn't a feather in the hat either. It's just not a National title.

The rivalry between these clubs realy is something. If the energy these sides have on an organizational level were brought together in peace, love, and harmony, Winnipeg would have an A-League club. And a successful one at that.

We play a pretty rough brand of footie out this way. Don't get me wrong though. It's not cloggers and spikes playing kick and run. Some realy nice football, but physical. And the quality and consistancy of the ref'ing leaves much to be desired. But I can't help but feel someone, somewhere along the line over in the SOKOL organization pissed off the entire Manitoba ref'ing association because over the past three years I don't think I've ever seen a club get more hard done by than SOKOL. Don't think they'll ever leave the pitch saying the ref had done them any favours. Just snake bit I guess.

It is kinda funny when it dosen't happen to you, though.

Archived