Canadian soccer player salaries

Kyle

Well i know the amount differs for each player but my question is don't other countries give there players more money and if you became a proffesional soccer player in Canada would it be enough to live off of... because someone told me some players get paid nothing ..is this true? and if you could give me an example any player that would be good

some of the a-leagues make enough to live off of for the entire year. namely the top players on the whitecaps and impact. but just barely. maybe 60 000. pat onstad, dwayne de rosario, and felix brilliant (who hasn't gotten a call up oddly enough!) surely all make enough. brilliant may be on the fringe. but being young he can afford it.

our european players all make more than enough to live off of. well, the first teamers.

quote:Originally posted by Kyle

Well i know the amount differs for each player but my question is don't other countries give there players more money and if you became a proffesional soccer player in Canada would it be enough to live off of... because someone told me some players get paid nothing ..is this true? and if you could give me an example any player that would be good

I think you are getting confused between playing for a national team and playing for a club team. Generally speaking, national teams do not pay their players, club teams do.

If you are asking how much the players who play for the Canadian national team get paid by their clubs, well, this varies a lot because they all play for different clubs, primarily in the United States and Europe. The example that Marc gave above would be at the high end because Paul Stalteri plays for a good team in one of the top leagues in the world. But we also have players who play in smaller leagues and lower divisions who get paid much less, though certainly enough to live off of.

If you are asking how much players who play for club teams within Canada get paid by their clubs, I have to assume you're talking about A-League clubs because these are the only real professional clubs we have. From numbers I've seen, it seems to me that these players are paid between $10,000 and $50,000 for the length of the season (4-5 months). In most cases they can live off of this salary during the season, though most players have to find other work during the winter (often this is just playing indoor soccer or outdoor soccer in another country). However, there are some players who have "regular" jobs (outside soccer) during the season.

Does this answer your question?

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

some of the a-leagues make enough to live off of for the entire year. namely the top players on the whitecaps and impact. but just barely. maybe 60 000. pat onstad, dwayne de rosario, and felix brilliant (who hasn't gotten a call up oddly enough!) surely all make enough. brilliant may be on the fringe. but being young he can afford it.

our european players all make more than enough to live off of. well, the first teamers.

IIRC, Pat gets around 100K (US) per year and Dwayne makes about 75K (US).

Surely Brillant makes much less than that, being an unproven rookie just finishing his first season.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

That is an old list. I'm sure Ruiz is making over $100K this year.

Actually he's making 30K (guaranteed) again this year (last year of the contract), plus bonuses that could add up to another 20K, plus whatever his old club team is paying him, plus sponsor incentives as well.

Ruiz' MLS contract is a very complicated one, from what I gather from BigSoccer, and apparently MLS is looking to make a huge offer (by their standards) to him for the 2005 season. Something along the lines of Landon Donovan's contract (280K base plus bonuses increasing the total salary to 367K).

Rumour has it that MLS is looking to increase its salary cap from US$1.7 million per team to US$2.2 million per team starting next season, which can only be good for the lower end guys living on a shoestring salary.

quote:Originally posted by highburygooner

i wouldn't be surprised if mr. radzinski wasn't pulling in a ballpark figure of 15-20000 pounds a week...maybe more if he has a good negotiatior...so at current exchange rates, around $40k canadian a week...not bad, not bad.

Can't remember where but some time ago I recall seeing an articule on the net speculating on Radz.'s wages. Around the three quarters/million pound mark was the guess so your math looks good. Think it was back when he made that amazing run for consecutive appearances for Everton.

Dought he's making less at Fulham. Must be nice to get 20 millions in TV revenue. Oh yeah, and still have all that Saha slut money.

Think it's been well documented Paul Fenwick (who hasn't played a 1st team match going on 2 years) is still under contract to Hibernian to the tune of 5K pound a week. Good work if you can get it, but an inhibative salary if your looking for a move when you're a 35 year old center half who's become injury prone.

quote:Originally posted by CheetaGood work if you can get it, but an inhibative salary if your looking for a move when you're a 35 year old center half who's become injury prone.

But if you're a 35 year old injury-prone centerhalf, on 5000 pounds a week, are you truly looking for a move? ;)

Fenwick would obviously prefer to be playing in his final season (both of his contract at Hibs and of his career) but he wasn't willing to sacrifice his financial security in order to move to a club where he'd be allowed to play.

As I understand it from reading the Scottish sites, Hibs is keeping him around because if they just release him they have to pay him his full salary anyway. St. Johnstone offered Fenwick a wage significantly less than what he makes at Hibs and Fenwick was willing to let Hibs off the hook for the amount he would have been making with the Saints (so Fenwick would end up with the same amount of money in the end but it would be split by Hibs and St. Johnstone and Fenwick would get to play out his final season.) Hibs wanted St. Johnstone to pick up a greater share of Fenwick's salary than the Saints were willing to pick up, so St. Johnstone backed out of the deal.

As for Fenwick, since he spent most of his career in the English and Scottish lower divisions, he was probably barely making enough to get by until he finally caught on with Hibs. The three-year contract he signed with Hibs was the one and only big payoff he got out of his career and I don't blame him for hanging on to every tuppence of it. He's probably been able to bank a nice little nest egg from it but he's still going to have to find a real job to support his family when he retires (apparently he's a qualified physiotherapist - maybe the CSA can hire him to keep Radzinski's calf from getting injured all the time.)

On another issue - the CSA does pay the players a per diem for each day they're on national team duty. I don't know exactly how much this is, but it can't be much. It's probably a significant overall bonus to guys on A-League salaries (or guys who are unattached, like Jaime Peters and Lars Hirschfeld before he signed with Dundee United) but it's probably nothing to a guy like Radz.

If a Canadian player gets a cap and falls under these circumstances; without a professional club contract(player could be part of professional club but be without a contract), unattached, or who are playing University or College soccer get support from the CSA. Figures differ for each player.

Archived