Canadians abroad: August 27 - September 2, 2004

DJT

Sweden:

Atiba Hutchinson came on in the 84th minute as Helsingborgs played AIK Stockholm to a 2-2 draw. It appears that Atiba has lost his starting job, as he didn't start in Helsingborgs last match as well.

Stephen Ademolu played the entire match as Trelleborgs tied Sundsvall 1-1.

Switzerland:

Daniel Imhof played the entire match as St. Gallen lost at home to Basel 1-0.

Norway:

Rob Friend came on in the 78th minute for Molde as they lost at home to Rosenborg 3-1. I believe that this was Rob's debut in Norway's top division.

Marco Reda must still be hurt because he didn't see any action in Sogndal's 4-2 defeat to Fredrikstad.

Odd Grenland beat Viking 1-0 today. I can't find any match reports for this game, so I have no idea if Olivier Occean played.

In Norway's 1st Division (2nd tier) Milan Kojic, Chris Pozniak and Nikki Budalic all played the entire match as Haugesund defeated Mandalskameratene 2-0

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to complete the Canucks in the SPL (Kevin McKenna and Lars Hirschfeld were covered above):

Rhian Dodds dressed but did not get off the bench in Kilmarnock's 1-0 win at home to Dunfermline.

Paul Fenwick (Hibernian) and Richard Hastings (Inverness Caledonian Thistle) didn't dress for their respective clubs. Hibs were at home and drew 4-4 with Dundee (makes me wonder if they could have used Fenwick's veteran presence at the back) and ICT lost 2-1 away to Hirschfeld's Dundee United.

Still monitoring the Motherwell site for confirmation of Jason Bent's signing. No news yet...

Oh, and I can't wait to see Diesel in the EPL! :D

Burley demands quick fix to bring back pride

206 words

30 August 2004

The Express

English

© 2004 Express Newspapers

DERBY 2 CREWE 4

GEORGE BURLEY is urging his Derby players to prove the doubters wrong at unbeaten Stoke tonight after hitting an early-season crisis.

Humiliated by Lincoln in the Carling Cup, the Rams have the joint second-worst home defensive record in the country after this rout at Pride Park resulted in angry fans chanting "what a load of rubbish".

There is discontent in the dressing room, too, with Paul Peschisolido clearly unhappy at his bit-part role in such a stuttering start to the campaign.

The veteran Canadian striker has yet to start a League game this season and watched glum-faced from the bench as the Rams crashed to their second defeat in three home games.

"When you're not in the side, you have to work that little bit harder in training to keep yourself fit and sharp, " he said.

"You also have to keep yourself in the right frame of mind so that hopefully you can take your chance when called upon."

Boss Burley blamed the defeat on his team's poor defending.

"I'm disappointed, " he said. "We were always vulnerable at the back and deserved absolutely nothing from the game."

Terry Dunfield came on in the 78th minute as Bury beat Kidderminster 4-0 in English League 2 action today. The substitution was made right after another Bury player was red carded.

No sign of Simon Rayner for Lincoln City as they lost to Swansea 1-0 also in League 2.

On Saturday, Rocco Placentino played the entire game for Cavese as they beat Giugliano 2-1 in the Coppa Italia di Serie C. Rocco scored the game winner in the 27th minute of the second half. He received the highest rating on the team, a 7.

I found the quote where Stalteri said he was looking to move away from Bremen.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/preview?id=159316&cc=5739

Somehow I thought the poster was just a wind-up merchant but he obviously isn't. I'm surprised Paul made those comments as he seems to be a "put your nose to the grindstone" sort of guy. Somehow I think the comments have been inaccurately attributed to him (reporter made it up or passing comment taken way out of context). If he did make them, it would seem to be a very unwise move as there were only a few days left in the transfer window. Upon the close of transfer season, coach Schaaf may not be too happy with Paul for having said that.

Its amazing that he could go from a year where he plays just about every game in a double winning side to a year where he is on the outside looking in.

Collins John has been playing the attacking mid/withdrawn striker role for Fulham so far to some criticism. With Boa Morte back from Greece and Cole cruising along nicely looks like Radz. got bumped back into the high striker role. Good and bad I guess. Odviously he's played well enough to warrant a place on the pitch, but as a striker, not well enough for that place on the front line.

Radz. has played pretty well apparently but been a little unlucky. Digital went down on Saturday and the cable guy isn't out until Thursday so I didn't get the match this afternoon. But honestly, I just can't see Radz. in that role.

When Malbranque gets healthy it's going to be a real dog fight for the 2nd striker role at Fulham. Of course a lot can change between then and now...

Guest Can. in UK

Just to fill out Radz's game last night... He had a couple of half chances (one he should have done better), but other than that he was quite quiet. He was playing on the left wing. The vast majority of Fulham's chances were going through Jensen (centre) or Boa Morte (right).

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Terry Dunfield came on in the 78th minute as Bury beat Kidderminster 4-0 in English League 2 action today. The substitution was made right after another Bury player was red carded.

And then Dunfield was on the receiving end of a two-footer which caused a red for Kidderminster.

Porter double act tops Shakers bill

211 words

31 August 2004

Manchester Evening News

English

© 2004

TEN-man Bury were much too good for Kidderminster in a sparkling win at Gigg Lane which lifted the Shakers to fourth in the table.

Dave Flitcroft was sent off in the 71st minute after his second caution of the evening but by that stage the points were already in the bag.

Kidderminster were also reduced to 10 men when Micky Mellon was sent off in the 88th minute for a dreadful two-footed lunge on substitute Terry Dunfield.

However, the evening belonged to Chris Porter, who led the way with two goals, while leading scorer David Nugent and Flitcroft, were also on target.

Nugent struck first in the 33rd minute and Porter doubled the home side's advantage 12 minutes later when Nugent managed to square the ball from an acute angle on the touchline.

In the 59th minute, the ball fell invitingly for Flitcroft to pick his spot after some penalty-area trickery from Porter who, five minutes later, grabbed his second goal with a clinical finish .

"The players were full of running," said manager Graham Barrow. "I'm obviously delighted.

We've had two tough games, but we've come through both of them and Porter and Nugent are working well together."

FOOTBALL: Little: We"re making a step in right direction

NICK HILTON

364 words

31 August 2004

Daily Post (Liverpool)

English

© The Liverpool Daily Post & Echo Ltd, 2004.

MANAGER Brian Little insisted Tranmere"s 1-1 draw at Stockport County was another step in the right direction.

Tranmere were denied their first away win of the League One campaign by an 81st-minute equaliser from Warren Feeney to cancel out a header by defender by Mike Jackson nine minutes into the second half.

Little said: "I"m disappointed we didn"t take all three points.

"I felt we were in a position to go on and win the game after taking the lead. If we had taken more care with our play in the final third of the field then I think we could have got the second goal that might have won it for us.

"When you are just 1-0 up you always think the opposition might get something and give Stockport credit for coming back at us. ""

Little added: "I thinks it"s a step in the right direction even though we didn"t win. It"s a good sign when you come away from away games disappointed that you haven"t won. ""

Little had words of encouragement for his young striking partnership of Calvin Zola and Iain Hume. He said: "The youngest part of our team is the part you expect to do most for you. Calvin and Iain were a threat to the opposi-tion. The only way they are going to get better is by playing. If you leave them out and put in the experienced players they will never get better. ""

Little reported that Theo Whitmore had been withdrawn in the second half after picking up a thigh injury. But with midfielders Jason McAteer and Danny Harrison also sidelined, possibly for several weeks, Tyrone Loran saw his first action of the season as a 52nd-minute substitute.

Tranmere have to wait 12 days for their next League One encounter at Barnsley on Saturday, September 11.

The home fixture against Oldham Athletic, scheduled for this Friday has been postponed because Rovers have four players on international duty: Ian Goodison and Theo Whitmore with Jamaica, Iain Hume with Canada and Gareth Roberts with Wales.

Bircham came on in the 63rd minute in a 0-1 QPR loss to Sheffield United.

Football: GRAY ADDS COLOUR TO BATTLING BLADES

AIDAN MAGEE

176 words

1 September 2004

Mirror

English

© 2004 Mirror Group Ltd

QPR 0 Sheffield United 1

ANDY GRAY powered in a header last night to give the improving Blades their second win in three days.

United have had a stuttering start to the season but looked to click into gear at Loftus Road as Rangers were left to rue their missed chances.

Ian Holloway"s men threw everything at United after the break, but the Blades showed the kind of gritty defending they so badly missed in the second half of last season when they faded from the promotion race.

The visitors went ahead in the 17th minute when Alan Quinn"s overhit cross was cleverly hooked back by Jon Harley on the byline and Gray leapt to thump a header past Chris Day.

Marcus Bean and Jamie Cureton both went close for Rangers, Lee Cook"s long-range effort was deflected onto the bar and Marc Bircham - one of three subs thrown on by Holloway to try to salvage a point - flashed a shot agonisingly wide.

Just to close the loop, straight from the horse's mouth (or in this case, the horse's website http://paulstalteri.com/home.htm):

Stalteri Decides Against Move to Premiership

As a response to the recent rumours of a move to the Premiership, Paul Stalteri would like to inform his fans that he decided against the move shortly before the end of the transfer window.

"An offer came in from Crystal Palace and after considering the move, I decided it would be better for me and my family to remain in Bremen. Werder Bremen re-assured me that I was a valuable asset to the club. Crystal Palace was very professional and made the offer very difficult to refuse."

The Canadian International has a contract with Werder Bremen until the end of the current season. He also commented on the prospect of playing International football, "I have worked hard over the last seven years with Werder Bremen and after being an integral part of bringing the Championship to Bremen, I am eager to play in the Champions League and work towards continued success in the league

Also from that wealth of Canadian Soccer information paulstalteri.com (http://paulstalteri.com/headlines.htm):

Kevin McKenna

Kevin McKenna underwent orthoscopic surgery this morning and is recovering at home. He hopes to back in action in three or four weeks. After having reoccurring knee problems for the last little while, he is optimistic that the injury has been remedied and he will be able to perform at his usual level once recovered.

Richard Hastings

Richard Hastings has signed a 2-year deal with Inverness Caledonian Thistle of the Scottish Premier League. He is happy to be back in Scotland and looks forward to helping the newly promoted club as they work towards meeting their objectives in the Scottish Premier League.

Rocco Placentino plays the entire match today as Cavese lose 2-1 to Frosinone in Coppa Italia di Serie C, Group O play. The result means that Frosinone leapfrogs into first place ahead of Cavese, so Rocco's team will not continue in the competition. The Serie C2/C season begins on September 12th, with Cavese taking on Ragusa.

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

Im just wondering....we've got gus playin in the italian lower divisions.....whydo frank and our previous coaches use guys from england's lower side but not from italy. The italien serie A is one of the top leagues......so the lower leagues must be decent too.....no?

I agree with you, however if we look at Rocco, he plays in a division which is way down the list.

The divisions are as follows;

Serie A, Serie B, Serie C1/A, Serie C1/B, Serie C1/C, Serie C2/A, Serie C2/B, Serie C2/C

If I remember correctly, all the Serie C diviosns are regional.

At the same time, I'm not trying to intend that these divisions (Serie C) are lacking in quality, as I don't watch any Serie C games.

Archived