Lynx new ownership????

It has been reported by A-League Commissioner Dave Askinas that the Hattrells are planning to sell the Lynx to a new ownership by the end of the season. I hope there's some truth to this story. Let's hope that the new owners don't make the same mistakes as to what happened in Edmonton this year. It would also be neat if they could move the club to Lamport Stadium.

SOURCE: Toronto Star

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1093558211404

Lynx look to future after losing campaign

Close out home season with win over Edmonton

Crop of quality players key to financial stability

MICHAEL CLARKSON

SPORTS REPORTER

The Toronto Lynx closed their home soccer season last night with a 3-1 win over the Edmonton Aviators before about 1,200 fans at Etobicoke's Centennial Stadium.

With two away games remaining, the Lynx will miss the A-League playoffs at 10-15-1, and their average home attendance was down slightly from last year (to 2,500 from 2,800). But there are signs of progress.

The Lynx proved they have quality players. They sold defender/midfielder Adrian Serioux of Scarborough to Millwall of the English first division. He was a hit, helping Millwall win its first two matches, and he was also called up recently for Canada's 2-0 World Cup loss to Guatemala. Over the years, a half-dozen Lynx have been with the Canadian nationals, including Paul Stalteri, now with German league champion Werder Bremen.

Cameroon-born striker Ali Gerba, who grew up in Montreal, is challenging for the A-League scoring title with 15 goals, two behind Alan Gordon of Portland. Financially, the Lynx might be considered successful by surviving eight years in a GTA soccer market that only seems to fully embrace European teams. They have accumulated about $5 million in losses since 1996, but half of that came in the first three seasons.

With a dozen corporate sponsors, the Lynx are "making progress," says the club's chief financial officer, Bruno Hartrell.

"We're making some money in transfers — this year we made about $200,000 in transfers," he said.

The team received $15,000 from Millwall for Serioux, but they will get more if he transfers again to a richer team. Other hidden gems of the future may be defender Andres Arango of Etobicoke and midfielders Matthew O'Connor of Mississauga and Jamie Dodds of Hamilton.

The Lynx, considered a developmental team for European clubs, are trying to place Gerba in Scandinavia. The Lynx have a budget of $280,000, with salaries ranging from $10,000 to $23,000, but the team will never have lots of cash until it gets a good TV contract, Hartrell said.

The Lynx could wind up as one of the tenants in the proposed 25,000-seat stadium at the University of Toronto, which could open in two years with the CFL Argos as the major tenant and the 2007 world under-20 soccer championship another major attraction. Other international soccer matches are also possible at the $80 million facility, which could be approved this fall.

The Lynx are also meeting with European investors about building their own 10,000-seat stadium for $10 million or less in Downsview, at the CNE or at York University.

The Lynx have scored 37 goals with two games left, but they couldn't make it count in the standings.Vinicius Rabello, Charlie Gbeke and Sean Faria netted markers last night for the winners, while Gordon Chin replied for Edmonton. The Lynx close their schedule with games tomorrow at the Atlanta Silverbacks and Sunday at the Charleston Battery.

yes the superfan chant is great but me yelling "DREW get your hand off her ass" made you guys crack up. Now on teh ownership point. When we saw Bruno coming back from the beer tent I yelled " BRUNO we want more money put into the team." he was like " As him he is the new owner" (pointing to a guy in black pants and a white shirt beside him and who he was chatting with the entire time) I yelled "Whats your annual income" but there was no reply. All in all a good show. After the game we got the players to sign our flag. I also asked Duncan if there are any chance of getting beckham next season, he said there looking into it. John Berry Neusem is going on trail to England. (MArc what team was it again?) Baxter loves our chant ( he was also picking up is cheque from Bruno :) ) Joe asked us who we wanted in teh play-off ( hmm maybe they will forefit the game in Atlanta :) heheh ) FCUK the RHINOS :) hehehe. We also went through the LYNX song book over teh past 4 years. (I wish I became an Ultras sooner) OH yeah Marc also placed a bid on a LYNX jearsy.....ADRIAN SERIUX. $70 (minimum bet) and he placed it and nobody else bid on it so it was a steal :) welll if I think of anything else to write I'll do it

I also heard the Inferno is looking for new ownership. What about merging the Lynx and Inferno into one true club structure for the future (there is already Y-League teams for both clubs) and maybe a new name : Toronto Metros FC(in case you can't acquire the rights to the Blizzard name)

Uniform : green and red striped jersey, wite shorts, green and red striped socks, with a crest of the CN tower

Just a thought.

It could be good news or bad news. The new owner could be another Kerfoot or on the other hand it could be another Ionian/Edmonton situation, with overspending or unnecessary costs with an expectation of 10,000 regular fans (though since the new owner was at the stadium last night I doubt that there will be any illusions about that - always assuming of course that a new owner keeps the team in Centennial).

The timing of the news is interesting when you take into consideration a new stadium being considered a go (unless U of T decides to raise their middle finger to the rest of the world).

quote:Originally posted by leekoo

The Lynx, considered a developmental team for European clubs

If the Lynx are going to be resigned to being a developmental team for European clubs (a notion I hate, but let's put that aside for now) then their roster should be all Canadian. Why the heck should Canadian fans support the Lynx get guys like Nusum into Europe??? [xx(] I really hope the new owners have a better outlook.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

give them enough rope and they hang themselves.

In your case it's give them enough cock and they choke themselves.

I mean really, I suggest the new owner might get rid of ugly cheerleaders and noon schoolday games where they force kids into the stadium and the first thing you think is that there will be more empty seats. A normal person may figure that new ownership will be able to fill these seats without such gimmicks as they do in Vancouver and Montreal. Not poor G-string he immediately thinks of empty seats.

Hey small guy perhaps new ownership can fill those seats without such usless gimmicks. Oh no, says the little one, once they have failed they should never try again.

Someone needs to come out the closet and call mom. KrammerHEAD I have never heard someone talk about cock as much as you do. You're real classy.

I disagree with you and that's that. I think you have to be a total goon to think that people should continue losing money in this country on pro soccer and not try new things to make their investment back.

It may get you out the house 18 times a year, but really, why is having school days which double your average crowd or playing elsewhere besides your home pitch as the impact did-as they did in Sherbrooke where they drew 9000+ to game and have the place half full with kids and they moved a bunch of merchandise and created a strong loyal following for their TV games????? Wrong?

Get out of soccer ghetto or at least stop talking about cock, it just might help in getting ugly cheerleaders to talk to you.

where they drew 9000+ to game and have the place half full with kids and they moved a bunch of merchandise and created a strong loyal following for their TV games????? Wrong?

Proof?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only benefit to these youth games involve the media. It's easier to attract reporters out during the day than it is at night because it falls within their regular hours and there's not much happening anyways 1:30 on a weekday sports wise.

It could also be said that the packed stands create a better image of the club to those watching on TV. But this is besides the point...

Lynx attendance stats show that there have been no increase in attendance, so what exactly is the point? You alienate your loyal fanbase, and at the same time further create an atmosphere of amaturism and cheese. While this may sound weird - a packed house equating to a shoddy, cheesy image - you haven't really experienced the full impact of a youth day until you hear 2,500 pre-teen kids chatting away like they were on their lunch break, paying absolutely no attention to the game, all the while while players work their ass off on the field. Give me a half-empty Centennial full of fans who are at least somewhat interested before any packed youth day game.

The fact of the matter is that many of the top drawing teams don't need noon day games and cheerleaders to pack in the crowds (and since when has there been any evidence that cheerleaders increase attendance?) First thing G-Man says when I say "lets just hope that the new owners ditches schoolday games and ugly cheerleaders" is that the crowds would be smaller. Never thinks that perhaps the new owner might have a strategy to put bums in the seats without those cheesy gimmicks. Fans that will be into the game and more likely to purchase merchandise and attend further games (those schoolday kids hardly return to games played at regualr times).

Getting rid of the cheese and the gimmicks doesn't neccessarily equate to less fans.

You're wrong. Attendance at Lynx games did improve as a result of the school days. By about 2,000 fans. And indeed it did not hurt attendance overall. Season ticket and regular fans continued to come out.

And what would that strategy be? please tell me. I dare you. Double dare you.

And I'm very moved that you were able to post without using the word cock sucker in it.

You're wrong. Attendance at Lynx games did improve as a result of the school days. By about 2,000 fans. And indeed it did not hurt attendance overall. Season ticket and regular fans continued to come out.

When? Attendance was down this year at Centennial.

Archived