OT Do the Brits overhype Sportsstars?

Desigol

I am a Brit ( save the applause!!!!) .. Runner's world did , I believe, consider nominating Paula Radcliffe as runner of the century, she broke the women's marathon record by a huge margin, 2 years ago. I think she's a very genuine hero who was defeated by extreme heat. I am a big Beckham fan , but boy he's been over-hyped like no sports figure in history.Then again, just look at the U.S.A.'s worship of their large coloured basket ball players.

quote:Originally posted by elricko

I am a Brit ( save the applause!!!!) .. Runner's world did , I believe, consider nominating Paula Radcliffe as runner of the century, she broke the women's marathon record by a huge margin, 2 years ago. I think she's a very genuine hero who was defeated by extreme heat. I am a big Beckham fan , but boy he's been over-hyped like no sports figure in history.Then again, just look at the U.S.A.'s worship of their large coloured basket ball players.

This is true....tho i dont see what the coloured thing has to do with it

I just wrote off the top of my head , I probably could not name more than 5 basketball players, so i automatically think--Wilt Chamberlain, Michael Jordan, Shaq O'neil etc. I'm sorry if that came out sounding "wrong", I really did not mean to be ,or sound offensive. You are right of course , colour has absolutely nothing to do with it.Elricko

After watching 2 weeks of BBC coverage of the Olympics (I am in Holland and don't know Dutch yet and BBC is the only English stuff I get besides MTV and CNN), the answer is that the Brits do overhype their own superstars. At least they are less subdued than Canadians are.

Archived