De Vos hits out at Canadians

highburygooner

Getting back to the original topic: Obviously the majority of the blame rests with the radiologist who misread Devos' bone scan or Xray. (Radiologists are doctors who specialize in reading these tests). The usual legal remedy for mistakes by physicians is a malpractice suit. In my opinion the CSA should consider a lawsuit against this physician, seeking damages to compensate for the loss of prestige for the MNT, resulting in reduced potential sponsor, advertising or gate revenue. Also, the possible loss of revenue and prestige associated with failing to qualify for the WC.

This is not a game, this is serious business. Mistakes by professionals have very real consequences.

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by Dave

Getting back to the original topic: Obviously the majority of the blame rests with the radiologist who misread Devos' bone scan or Xray. (Radiologists are doctors who specialize in reading these tests). The usual legal remedy for mistakes by physicians is a malpractice suit. In my opinion the CSA should consider a lawsuit against this physician, seeking damages to compensate for the loss of prestige for the MNT, resulting in reduced potential sponsor, advertising or gate revenue. Also, the possible loss of revenue and prestige associated with failing to qualify for the WC.

What is this? The U.S.A.?

With all due respect, I don't think we should just shrug our shoulders and say "oh well" over this. We are talking about four years here, and likely JDV's last chance to make it to the WC. Out of respect for JDV and his committment to Canada, I say sue the bas.tard! Does anyone know which hospital JDV would have gone to?

Dave, while I understand your frustration with the (apparently) missed diagnosis of De Vos' leg, I don't think a lawsuit is appropriate in the circumstances. In the first place, the simple fact that a medical professional made an error (and this, of course, assumes the the Ipswich scan is correct and the Vancouver scan incorrect) does necessarily mean that the radiologist was negligent. The legal test which would be applied in such a case is whether the radiologist met the appropriate standard of care in interpreting the x-ray. If it is possible that the x-ray could legitimately be interpreted as revealing a hairline fracture or not revealing a fracture but rather revealing a deep bruise, then no liability will attach to the radiologist. Errors in judgment are not acts of negligence where there is sufficient evidence to support them.

In this case, it appears that the Vancouver radiologist had only an x-ray to interpret, whereas the English medical staff had the benefit of an MRI, which is a far more sophisticated and accurate device. Given this, it may well be that the Vancouver radiologist's interpretation of the more primitive scan was reasonable, though erroneous, and that the true nature of the injury to the leg was apparent only on the higher quality MRI.

Even if the CSA was able to show negligence on the part of the radiologist, it would have to prove its damages and really, what has it lost? I think it would be very difficult to show conclusively that the result of the Guatemala match would have been different had De Vos played. Indeed, I would suggest that such an assertion would be speculative at best. Even if it could be proven, there is nothing to say that Canada will or won't qualify for the Hex as a result. Canada is in a difficult group and is ranked lowest of the four teams therein (though one really shouldn't place too much stock in FIFA's rankings). To say that De Vos' presence is a guarantee of qualification for the World Cup is naive, at best.

With respect to your other suggested heads of damage (loss of prestige, sponsorship, gate revenue etc), I don't think it can be shown that corporations would have been flocking to advertise the MNT if De Vos was there but didn't because he wasn't playing. Similarly, apart from a hard core of supporters who post on boards like this, most people in Canada have no idea who Jason De Vos is -- any loss of prestige would be minimal. Lastly, as Krammerhead has repeatedly pointed out on this board, Swangard was sold out for the match; there was no loss of gate revenue.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Oh please! Kevin Pipe's fingerprints were all over the Enron fiasco.

I always thought Pipe had something to do with it somehow. Now seriously, why bring DeVos all the way here from England to have an XRay. If there was a suspected injury it would make more sense to have it checked at home. Further the butchers at the hospital here would not have made the decision as to whether he can play or not. Doctors don't make those decisions just give a diagnose. It would have been the CSA who says, sorry bud you can't play. I find interesting that according to DeVos words, the original Xray was clear. So who ordered a scan. Was another scan then done to confirm the fracture, obviously not. So DeVos goes back and has the second scan done at home only to confirm there was nothing there. No wonder he is pissed of at the CSA.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

No wonder he is pissed of at the CSA.

He's not pissed off at the CSA. It says very clearly in the quote at the top of the thread that he's annoyed with the medical staff at the hospital in Canada. Whether he is pissed off at the CSA or not is not confirmed by the story.

• 2 weeks later...

Was Devos seeing some Doctor that would give the same advice to him as he would to an 83 year old grandmother who fell down the stairs: "Take it easy for 2 weeks". The CSA should have made sure he was seeing a Sports Doctor and got a second opinion. Simple. Anything else is unacceptable.

The CSA dropped the ball. Is a hangnail or a pimple keeping a key member off the pitch for the next game? What a joke.

No one remember JDVs foot injury? That lingering one he EVENTUALY had to have surgery for?

Kept him hobbling along at 75% for most of last season and made him expendable at Wigan?

Sheesh, people. Knowing JDVs game, the very physical nature of his work, just the size of the man and his age if I'm the guy with the x-ray machine, or y-ray or whatever, if I even think he's got a fracture I'm telling him to sit. Better that than the further harm which could result.

You guys are making it sound like as soon as he walked into the infirmary he got rubber stamped "two weeks off".

Ipswich only let him play once a week and nothing but very light training inbetween when he got back. And that was already after a weeks rest!

How hard is it to read an x-ray?

Too bad Dr. Kick Riviera was the doctor. Sure err on the side of caution, but the bottom line is he was playing with his club days after this incident.

Our side looked dreadful at the back. If FIFA would allow crutches or a walker on the pitch, he would have performed better than what we got. That was one game where we needed him.

Guest Jeffery S.

Just to get some perspective on this, when Jazic went to the Canada camp, think it was for Germany, the team doctors made a diagnosis of some back problems that the docs at Rapid had never caught. And he came out praising them for their effectiveness in solving what had been a chronic problem that caused a lot of pain for him. That gave me the impression that indeed our team medical support was solid.

What happened with de Vos was plain weird, and perhaps there was simply not time to analyze the x-rays or get a good second opinion. So they opted for caution. If they had not done so and there had been a problem with him playing de Vos would be even more upset, so I take this as a minor incident.

Archived