Countries who won't dive.

Soju

Since diving and rolling around have long since become essential football skills for certain countries, I'm wondering where Canada, the USA, and the UK teams stack up as far as cheating goes. I for one never recall a Canadian player fake it up (see Guatemala) to get a call. Nor can I recall seeing an English or American player doing so. Am I just being naive, or do some teams still have honour?

ESPN colour man, Marcelo Balboa praised Josh Wolff for a big dive that earned the US a penalty a month or two ago. Caused some outrage amongst US purists.

I wasn't real pleased with Simpson's dive Weds. Bircham goes down pretty easy too . . .

I didn't think the Guatemalans dove much. They stayed down and wasted time, but they didn't go down without contact often if at all that I can remember.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

I didn't think the Guatemalans dove much. They stayed down and wasted time, but they didn't go down without contact often if at all that I can remember.

cheers,

matthew

Yeah, the ref also did a good job of "get yer ass up".

Well, England won the World Cup game against Argentina by diving, if you recall. Michael Owen made a meal out of nothing in the penalty box and traditionally, he is one of the worst divers.

I think one of the reason the Latin teams are more recognized for their diving skills, is the usual theatrics that follows the fall. They tend to roll in agony over and over while the divers in other parts of the world don't dramatize the aftermath as much.

All and all, it's a sad part of the game, but like it or not, it's there like it is in any aspect of life and there is only so much the refs can do.

quote:Originally posted by Reza

Well, England won the World Cup game against Argentina by diving, if you recall. Michael Owen made a meal out of nothing in the penalty box and traditionally, he is one of the worst divers.

I think one of the reason the Latin teams are more recognized for their diving skills, is the usual theatrics that follows the fall. They tend to roll in agony over and over while the divers in other parts of the world don't dramatize the aftermath as much.

All and all, it's a sad part of the game, but like it or not, it's there like it is in any aspect of life and there is only so much the refs can do.

Agreed, I should clarify my post to make a distinction between theatrics and diving. You cannot point the finger at one side or another when speaking about diving since everyone is equally guilty and usually it comes down to individual players. But theatrics is another story. Compared to what I have seen of the Hondurans in the past, I would say that they use this ploy much more than , say, the Costa Rican.

Archived