Should Canada play home games in Europe?

Guest Dave

A radical idea. Other nations have already chosen to play their "home" WCQ games in their opponent's nation, or in a neutral third nation. What if Canada were to apply to FIFA for permission to play our home games in Europe?

There would be several advantages. A Canada WCQ would probably draw well in London, so good revenue for the CSA. Travel expenses for the CSA would be greatly reduced. The crowd would be pro-Canadian (unless we played Jamaica), probably more pro-Canadian than any crowd in Canada, since it would be too expensive for many Central Americans to fly to London. Our players would have minimal travel, and no jet lag. Guys like Radz would have no reason to fake an injury and not show up. Clubs would be more willing to release players. The time difference would really screw up our opponents, forcing them to play in the very early morning. (We could accentuate this by scheduling a noon start time, that would be around 5 AM for the Gautes). The extra travel expense would also hurt our opponents' finances, and perhaps force them to curtail their preparations.

The obvious drawback would be: no home games in Canada. That would be tough to swallow, but if it meant qualifying for the WC, I would gladly accept it. Would FIFA accept such a proposal? Who knows, but we never know unless we try. Would the CSA have the guts to try something so radical? Not a chance.

Why not? It's just as cheap for people in many parts of Canada to fly to London than it is to fly out west anyway. I say we play our home matches in The Den and give out cut rate tickets to Millwall supporters, just to make sure we have a pro-Canadian crowd. :D

My innitial instinct was to reject this idea. Canadian soccer is as much a commercial venture as it is a competitive one. We aren't blessed with a country that embraces the game like many others do; the game does not sell itself. Hence, my first thought is that we need these games to boost the team's exposure.

But really, in hindsight, the exposure a World Cup birth would bring to the game here would by far eclipse that which would be gained through a few domestic WCQ matches - matches that would probably end up being overshadowed by some World Cup of Hockey exhibition game anyways.

So, with that said, what the hell... Go for it.

i think it's a fine idea simply for on the pitch reasons (no lag, easier release of players, etc.). other teams have certainly played neutral friendlies in london (australia, jamaica, nigeria - for exactly the same reasons) most recently at the valley and loftus road but, as i recall, there was an issue when the aussies tried to make london their "home". i can't remember if it was FIFA's problem, the FA's or maybe just that they couldn't get a club to agree to host their games....lord knows qpr could use a share of gate recepits - they might be up for it.

i do, however, take issue with the idea that it would be any more of a pro canadian crowd...i think you'll find that despite there definitely being more canadians here than guatemalans (or indeed other central american countries), the enemy will still manage to get more vocal support out to any game being played...on top of that the rather large south american population in town might turn out against us. basically, the CSA would have to do a brilliant job of marketing to get very many people out to a game here. putting flyers up on the walls of the maple leaf (like they were handing out at last weekend's whitecaps game) wouldn't cut it. would YOU trust them??

all in all - if it would help our boys (which it would) make the WC, then it should be looked into!

quote:Originally posted by highburygooner

basically, the CSA would have to do a brilliant job of marketing to get very many people out to a game here. putting flyers up on the walls of the maple leaf (like they were handing out at last weekend's whitecaps game) wouldn't cut it. would YOU trust them??

Oh yeah...r e a l i t y...what a bummer, man[B)].

Seems radical at first thought, but if fifa accepted the idea, i think it could be a great move....play in stadiums like the den, or at the rovers' stadium and we'd get a great turnout. a game at the den these days would prolly sell out given the popularity of Serioux and Simpson. Maybe a game at norwich with brennen in the starting line-up could help jump stant his club season :D

wait a tick....how about a game here in Mons...The locals still remember Kusch (and some other canadian who previously played here, tho i can't think of the name)

I like the idea....although now that im about to head back to canada (hopefully with the chance at catching a live mnt match) i dunno if maybe it's too late ;)

I wanna say my peice before i read the others so this will be disjointed.

I've said that about a thousand times!!!! I try to justify it by pointing out that Israel plays in Europe. FIFA keeps trying to be "non-political" so by thier own standards it is ridiculous for Israel to play in Europe.

Let's join UEFA.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

A radical idea. Other nations have already chosen to play their "home" WCQ games in their opponent's nation, or in a neutral third nation. What if Canada were to apply to FIFA for permission to play our home games in Europe?

There would be several advantages. A Canada WCQ would probably draw well in London, so good revenue for the CSA. Travel expenses for the CSA would be greatly reduced. The crowd would be pro-Canadian (unless we played Jamaica), probably more pro-Canadian than any crowd in Canada, since it would be too expensive for many Central Americans to fly to London. Our players would have minimal travel, and no jet lag. Guys like Radz would have no reason to fake an injury and not show up. Clubs would be more willing to release players. The time difference would really screw up our opponents, forcing them to play in the very early morning. (We could accentuate this by scheduling a noon start time, that would be around 5 AM for the Gautes). The extra travel expense would also hurt our opponents' finances, and perhaps force them to curtail their preparations.

The obvious drawback would be: no home games in Canada. That would be tough to swallow, but if it meant qualifying for the WC, I would gladly accept it. Would FIFA accept such a proposal? Who knows, but we never know unless we try. Would the CSA have the guts to try something so radical? Not a chance.

I dont agree this is a good idea! why should Canada play in Europe??? its crazy!

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

I've said that about a thousand times!!!! I try to justify it by pointing out that Israel plays in Europe. FIFA keeps trying to be "non-political" so by thier own standards it is ridiculous for Israel to play in Europe.

Let's join UEFA.

This is a great idea. Kazakstan recently joined UEFA, despite the fact that it is physically in Asia.

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

Let's join UEFA.

This is a great idea. Kazakstan recently joined UEFA, despite the fact that it is physically in Asia.

i'm from vancouver and, as pointed out above, think it's a great idea to play WCQ games in europe (not join uefa as 1. they wouldn't let us and 2. we'd then have no chance of qualifying - just stage our games there). i don't think it's an east vs. west thing at all. it's a chance to optimise results...thinking about it though...i wonder if concacaf would allow us to stage competitive games in britain or the continentdo?? anyone know the rules on that?

I don't know about world cup qualifiers, but Canada should definately play more friendlies in England, using it as a neutral ground while plaing whoever.

Australia is atually based in London and have played a few friendlies there, getting aropund the insane travel restrictions they are forced to deal with.

Keep WCQ in Canada, prepare for it in England, and get more preperation!

The lack of friendlies was just as responsible for our crap performance as any other reason.

quote:Originally posted by Dante79

Why you all agree Canada should play in Europe???? its a crazy idea!

while we shouldn't be playing our wcq games in europe, playing some

friendlies there prior to our next match is needed. Also the CSA need to stop using that dead stadium in Vanvouver/Burnaby, what an

laughing stock to the football world, until new stadiums are built

in Toronto/Vancouver. Stick with Edmonton.

I think it's a good idea

Why not...

But, you forgot a point

Even if the Fifa agrees

I think our opponent in the Concacaf never will accept such a deal and to flight to Europe to play Canada...

Except if...

In place of Turks and Kaikos, let's have Shetland Island as our newest canadian province

Archived