Send your comments to the CSA

massimo

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Got a long message back form Morgan Quarry. He said he had 'heard of trouble after the game' but was not up on the situation.

Also made no apologies for playing in Vancouver or selling so many tickets to opposing fans.

Personnally I have no problem with the game being in Vancouver...the only problem I have is that Ontario gets two games vs. Belize which in my opnion were not even real games as I think even could have score playing against that country!

Then the rest are in West of the country...CSA, give Quebec a break, we like soccer too!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Free kick

But did I suggest these things?

Afterall, we are just one game into the semi final qualifying round. What would you say if he came back with same team and we win the next two. What kind of letter do we send to the CSA then. Granted, that loss to Guatemala was huge. But we are not out of it by any stretch. Yes, I agree that there much to question about Yallop right now. But let him finish the job he was hired to do.

We are way too reactionary on this board. Which isn't a bad thing under certain circumstances. For example, if we fail again to advance then let the criticism of Yallop fly. But we are not eliminated yet and did you honnestly think that we would go through the entire WCQ undefeated.

I cant believe what I am reading from a certian new poster ( troll maybe) on this board who goes starts with the "Fire Yallop diatribe" after one loss. Then he tries to pass on as fact his speculation regarding Radz injury. Then he blames the CSA for not playing a friendly when the two first WCQ matches are barely two weeks apart ands the players return have returned to their clubs. He writes nothing positive or optimistic.

I don't think we are too far gone...it's something I've been thinking about for a while, I know organizing friendlies, camps or anything of this sort aren't the easiest things to do. But I watch other countries and see what they accomplish and say why not us too!

Massimo

Guest Georgio

Exactly Massimo and the fault has to lie with the CSA!!!!! We can always say we don't have this, or we don't have that, but if nothing ever gets done to address each specific shortcoming, then we will never have this and we'll never have that.

quote:"It is disappointing to see so many opposing fans at our games. But I don't think it is fair to only blame the CSA on this. When the average Canadian men's game becomes a regular sellout then perhaps we can start to distinguish between ticket allotment. The fact remains that a part of our operational budget comes form gate receipts and we cannot turn away ticket sales."

How can the games become a regular sellout when the CSA hardly does any promotion?

quote:I cannot comment on the RCMP as I do not know all the facts. I had heard there were some problems after the game but that's all I know."

After the game? What a twit this Quarry guy is. Trouble after the game, try trouble 5 minutes into the game lasting until the end of the game making it really hard to watch.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

How can the games become a regular sellout when the CSA hardly does any promotion?

After the game? What a twit this Quarry guy is. Trouble after the game, try trouble 5 minutes into the game lasting until the end of the game making it really hard to watch.

CSA and Promotion...those are 2 words that don't mix!

Obviously this guy(Quarry)is either acting stupid, or is not aware of the real story!

Krammerhead, inform the guy!

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I have written to the CSA a few times. Most times I never get a reply. One time I did get a reply it said pretty well it was none of my business. The last time I wrote the week before the game with Guatemala I got an automatic email reply saying the addressee was away to Vancouver to the game. This was 5 days before the game. What the hell was he doing there 5 days before, who is paying for that. Wrote again two days after the game assuming he would be back. No response to this day.

I too also wrote the CSA after the Guatemala match and still no

reply. I bet they would replay if we ordered some jersey's or

other national team stuff.

I have just gotten back on-line to see the colorful and widespread commentary on the game, pre game preparation and post-game explanations.

In our consumer driven society, Canadians choose with their feet and pocketbooks whether or not to support soccer, weather or not to watch it on TV or go to games live. CSA can't spoon feed soccer to an unwilling public. Any arguments about advertising and publicity only work to a small extent; they are hardly going to convince, on their own, millions of Canadians to start supporting live soccer in Canada.

CSA's role is so minor in publicity and advertising that they certainly can't be blamed for a poor turnout or a pro-Guatemala crowd. Hey, we Voyageurs did our best too, but we are hardly ready to start knocking on doors...

Lack of preparation time is a given with our team and will be until we have a league of our own, so to speak. Guatemala postponed the start of the season down here so that the team would have ample time to prepare for the Canada game. As I had said previously, they had been talking about this game for roughly two months, virtually every day in the newspapers, following the training of the team and the friendlies they had.

I agree with what has been said elsewhere that our preparation was lacking, and made even worse by the absence of many of our regulars. Soccer is a team game, and even though there is no doubt of our superior talent, the same could be said about the Dutch in this summer's Euro Cup. Maybe it has been said, but Greece played as a team and won as a team.

I wish I had answers to a Canadian league, but really, it does set us apart from the rest of CONCACAF, as the CSA gentlemen pointed out. And that means we are not masters of our own destiny, an advantage that the Guatemalans used very strategically.

I'm optimistic that we can bounce back and have a go at this group. And maybe the fans come and the league comes only AFTER we qualify again. But its the usual chicken and egg story, and CSA is limited in its ability to do much about it.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

The CSA wrote me back:

Thanks for the message below James.

I do not think that many would argue your point regarding the need for

more friendlies...and friendlies against CONCACAF (or CONCACAF-style)

opponents in CONCACAF-like conditions. And, you will not find many

disagreeing with your assessment of our very poor performance against

Guatemala. But despite what you may or may not believe, Canada is in a

very different situation than most of our CONCACAF rivals. The most

glaring difference is the absence of a full-time domestic league. This

means of course that we, more than any other country in our zone, must

rely on FIFA International Dates, thus limiting our access to our

players and often times placing our players in difficult club vs.

country situations. Then you have the issues of venue, travel, etc...So

in the end, I think our situation is quite unlike the majority of

CONCACAF countries.

Thanks again for your message James...

Earl Cochrane

Canadian Soccer Association

I am glad to see a response from the CSA. However I am not glad about its contents. It is clear they recognize we had a "very poor performance" but offer no plans how to solve the problem. It seems they are content to just accept the facts. The need for more friendlies, the conflict of dates, the venues, the lack of domestic leagues are all old problems they have been aware off for years. Yet no innovative ideas offered. In lieu of this I ask them what difference then it makes who coaches the team. Many times national teams face a lot of adversity but still managed to play their best regardless. We didn't and that is perhaps what bothers most of us fans. The next game is time for vindication, we may win or lose. But at least if we lose it will be nice to see that everybody left everything in the field.

Maybe the CSA has done lots to help the team, the program, the coach, etc. Wouldn't it be nice to keep the public informed of what this is. I have a feeling that is little to nothing. I don't recall ever hearing any of our national coaches thanking the CSA for having done something. As a matter of fact I once read a report from one of our national coaches, this is a few years back, condemning the CSA for their lack of support. Needless to say, that coach is no longer in the system.

I got a response from the CSA. Interesting! It's obvious to me at least the guy is trying.

Subject: RE: More friendly matches; Men's Canadian National Team

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 07:37:14 -0400

Earl,

Thank you for your reply it's well appreciated. As well, I'm happy to

hear the possibility for a friendly match in November.

As for your question concerning a viable venue in the East (Region of Quebec).

Being a resident of Montreal it's obvious I will suggest Claude

Robillard Stadium, currently receives good crowds for Montreal Impact games, the most was over 11100.

McGill Stadium could be another possibility. At a capacity of 20000 the ambience would be great there. As you know, FieldTurf is becoming more accepted throughout the soccer world.

Sherbrooke would be the other possible venue; University of Sherbrooke Stadium. It's pitch is grass and a capacity of 9000+. It is also less accessible to opposing team fans as Sherbrooke is about 2 1/2 hours away from a major airport (Pierre Elliot Trudeau Airport in Mtl).

Ciao

Massimo

Subject: RE: More friendly matches; Men's Canadian National Team

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:37:14 -0400

Massimo,

Thank you for your passionate email below.

I am not sure you will find many people disagreeing with you when it

comes to the need to play more friendlies...and playing those friendlies in Canada against CONCACAF countries would be ideal, again I agree wholeheartedly. But unlike most countries in CONCACAF, we do not have a domestic league in which to choose these players for these types of friendlies. In order to secure our European based players, we must adhere to the FIFA International calendar which severely limits when we can ask for these players, therefore limiting the number of games and limiting the location of those games.

Having said that, we have been discussing matches with countries that could also benefit from games at a neutral venue (like London, UK).Obviously there is no room for any games between now and September 4th and squeezing a game into a busy October for most of players would not be ideal. However, the November date is available and you will likely see us playing on that date. While this may not be the ideal scenario for fans in Canada, it would benefit our players (therefore the team) and our relationship with their clubs.

Your point regarding the choice of venue in Canada is also valid but

unfortunately I am not the person responsible for those decisions. I

have forwarded your message onto those who are. But while we are on the subject, where do you propose these games in the east be played?

Thanks and sorry it has taken me awhile to reply...I have been busy

preparing for the busy fall/winter our U17s, U20s, and U19 Women will

enjoy.

Take care,

Earl Cochrane

Canadian Soccer Association

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 11:05 PM

To: Earl Cochrane

Subject: More friendly matches; Men's Canadian National Team

Hello,

After watching our Canadian Men's World Cup Qualifying match vs.

Guatemala August 18the, it is obvious to me that Canada needs to play more friendly matches in order to be prepared to successfully qualify for the World Cup 2006 in Germany.

I myself have lots of passion for the Canadian National Team however, I can not say that the rest of the country has the same feelings I do. Since their is a lack of visibility the average canadian knows little about our Team, let alone the players in it. Playing friendly matches in our country will give more exposure to the team, as well as create a bigger bond between players which could make them more likely to return regularly play for Canada.

Lastly I would greatly appreciate for any these matches to be held in

the Eastern and Western part of our country. This would create a national pride for the Canadian National team which obviously is beneficial for both the fans, players and for you. The CSA!

Cheers

Massimo

quote:Originally posted by soccerbeast

I too received a message from the CSA and have been told the manager,

players and anyone else with the CSA reads this forum,which is great,

they know how we feel, its time for them to act.

This is definately good news!!

quote:Originally posted by soccerbeast

What so hard to figure that out[?]

What's so hard to figure out? Well your solutions, for one thing.

Who can replace Yallop? Can he do better? Can you have prevented

the loss of De Vos and Radzinski? Would Brennan have made a difference?

What if they called the first goal offside? HOw many international

dates are available to release the players for a friendly? Before

Sept 4 and 8th?

It sucks to be fan, but I imagine it's harder to be coach ...

quote:Originally posted by redhat

What's so hard to figure out? Well your solutions, for one thing.

Who can replace Yallop? Can he do better? Can you have prevented

the loss of De Vos and Radzinski? Would Brennan have made a difference?

What if they called the first goal offside? HOw many international

dates are available to release the players for a friendly? Before

Sept 4 and 8th?

It sucks to be fan, but I imagine it's harder to be coach ...

The Csa should go back To Holger on hans and knees begging him to come back and that they made a giant error in judgement. Why would the

call the first goal offside when it was clearly on side? Radzinski has proven time and agin he puts his own interests before the Canadian team, so don't bring him back. De Vos again was he injured

or not keep getting different stories on this guy, yes we need him at the back.

What game were you watching?

Clean your specs, grumpy.

Guatemala scored two clean goals take your maple leaf tinted glasses off, the canadian players we're just standing around like they were

waiting for concert tickets. And Onstad the less said about him, he couldn't save postage stamps.:D

What game were you watching?

Clean your specs, grumpy.

Guatemala scored two clean goals take your maple leaf tinted glasses off, the canadian players we're just standing around like they were

waiting for concert tickets. And Onstad the less said about him, he couldn't save postage stamps.:D

Archived