Starting 11 for Honduras is VITAL!

Timotas

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Not sure how Menezes looked, but here is my starting 11:

Onstad

Nsaliwa Devos Imhoff Jazic

Hume Stalteri DeGuzman Brennan

Radz Ocean

Subs: DD up front for Ocean, Kluka at back, Pesch for Hume, Lars, Mckenna at back

Damn, I hope we get a better result

Onstad in goal you really don't want us to win do you[?]

Lars must be given his no 1 position back, and we have to play 5 at the back, giving up any more goals at home will be fatal if it

isn't already.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by soccerbeast

Onstad in goal you really don't want us to win do you[?]

Lars must be given his no 1 position back, and we have to play 5 at the back, giving up any more goals at home will be fatal if it

isn't already.

Suddenly everyone wants Lars to play? Man, I don't know (and I like

Lars' shot-blocking ability).

But how can playing 5-3-1 win a game? That's a formation you use

if you play abroad, and PLAY FOR A TIE. Holger used it against Mexico

and didn't work.

Observer I think you're being too hard on DeRosario. He was bad, but he was being played out of position. I thought he has done a good of making/finding space as a foward linking with the midfield. I also think any lineup using Occean discourages us from creating that space in the midfield and creating triangles. When we play on the flanks too much we seem to get completely over-run in the middle of the midfield.

And the guys keeping DeRosario on the bench in San Jose combined to score the US' goal in Jamaica and are being tipped to start against El Salvador. DeRo will never displace Donovan and if Ching is preferred to Brian McBride, then I don't think there's any real shame in being on the bench. If an EPL guy and a Bundesliege guy (Mathis) can't beat out Ching for a starting spot on the US nats, I'm okay with DeRo not being good enough to start for SJ.

I agree with a lot of people that playing with five mids would be a great cure for this, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with a 3-5-2. I also don't think changing formations completely midstream is going to make us look more cohesive which was a key problem against Guatemala IMO. Five in the back is asinine at home, but consider the source.

I really agree with Observer's first point. I couldn't put my finger on what it was exactly besides lack of movement from our guys. But you're right too many guys dribbled into trouble.

I don't see any alternative to Onstad either. Except Sutton. And that I don't know about, I just haven't seen enough of him. I don't think Lars will be named to the team and since he isn't playing first team I can't say I disagree. Of course, not playing first team didn't concern Yallop when it came to Peters, so who am I to say?

cheers,

matthew

Observer I think you're being too hard on DeRosario. He was bad, but he was being played out of position. I thought he has done a good of making/finding space as a foward linking with the midfield. I also think any lineup using Occean discourages us from creating that space in the midfield and creating triangles. When we play on the flanks too much we seem to get completely over-run in the middle of the midfield.

And the guys keeping DeRosario on the bench in San Jose combined to score the US' goal in Jamaica and are being tipped to start against El Salvador. DeRo will never displace Donovan and if Ching is preferred to Brian McBride, then I don't think there's any real shame in being on the bench. If an EPL guy and a Bundesliege guy (Mathis) can't beat out Ching for a starting spot on the US nats, I'm okay with DeRo not being good enough to start for SJ.

I agree with a lot of people that playing with five mids would be a great cure for this, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with a 3-5-2. I also don't think changing formations completely midstream is going to make us look more cohesive which was a key problem against Guatemala IMO. Five in the back is asinine at home, but consider the source.

I really agree with Observer's first point. I couldn't put my finger on what it was exactly besides lack of movement from our guys. But you're right too many guys dribbled into trouble.

I don't see any alternative to Onstad either. Except Sutton. And that I don't know about, I just haven't seen enough of him. I don't think Lars will be named to the team and since he isn't playing first team I can't say I disagree. Of course, not playing first team didn't concern Yallop when it came to Peters, so who am I to say?

cheers,

matthew

Matthew...possibly I am being a bit hard on DeRo. They were my immediate reactions after watchinig the match. I am still not convinced but your comments about playing Occean, creating triangles and space are good ones. While I think Occean has talent and promise, he really needs to work on his first touch and the ability to hold the ball up if he is going to be our answer up front. Too many times he let the side down in this regard when balls where played up to him onto his feet. But personally, I still believe the man with perhaps a couple of more years of experience (and hopefully at a higher level) could certainly become a regular ahead of DeRo.

---------------- Onstad ------------

Stalteri -- McKenna - DeVos -- Jazic

Hume -- Serioux -- DeGuzman -- Brennan

----------- Radz ---- DeRosario -----

Bench:

Sutton

Pizzolitto

Hutchinson

Simpson

Imhof

Pesch

Occean

First off, I know Watson will be there, but after the last game, he shouldn't. As well, Onstad could easily be replaced by Sutton (the only real alternative, as Lars hasn't seen action in months, and I'm not sure Yallop has ever seen Kenny S.) and I would be confident.

I don't care how much first team action Brennan has seen lately, he is without a doubt our best LM and is familiar with the team, so he goes. I was debating whether to put Occean or DeRo up front with Radz, since (in this lineup) we'll have out two best crossers of the ball (Hume and Brennan) and Occean's aeril presence would be complimented nicely. In the end, DeRo is fairly good in the air, and is much more creative with the ball than Occean at this point.

I think Brennan would be a great choice on the left. He is healthy, practicing with a Prem side, and I think he has delivered the goods before. More significantly, this is a guy who wants to prove his club side manager wrong, though I am sure that Worthington's mind is already made up.

Along with Hume, we will have two lads with plenty of passion and fire running down our wings.

We all want to see Brennan in the fold, but sadly I believe Yallop AGAIN will not choose him for the side. Yallop has already stated that he looks to choose his players based on present form and with the situation at Norwich of Brennan not playing 1st team football, I can't see Brennan being picked for Edmonton. I really wish Brennan was chosen because after Simpson's performance against Guatemala, I think Brennan would be a much better fit, and Simpson would be better coming off the bench.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

While I think Occean has talent and promise, he really needs to work on his first touch and the ability to hold the ball up if he is going to be our answer up front. Too many times he let the side down in this regard when balls where played up to him onto his feet. But personally, I still believe the man with perhaps a couple of more years of experience (and hopefully at a higher level) could certainly become a regular ahead of DeRo.

I'm not advocating for Occean. I don't think his style works well with the style that suits our talent best. I agree he has ability and in a few years might be a great option, but right now I agree his first touch isn't as good as some of our other forwards and he's not as active as DeRosario is.

Plus when use our outside mids as real flank players DeGuzman and whoever (Imhof/Serioux) look totally out-manned. You take DeGuzman, Serioux, Brennan, Hume, DeRo and Radzinski and you have six guys with pace creativity and the ability to create space and inter-change. Also if we have a more compact midfield that will also leave more space outside for Stalteri and Jazic (assuming Stally isn't in the midfield) to get forward into.

Plus our opposition play us like we're going to stick Catliff and Mitchell in front and aim balls at their heads. The Guatemalans already started a keeper based on his ability to catch crosses and now the Honrdurans are changing it up for the same reasosns. The Honduran back four is sketchy enough as it is and now they're looking at replacing their two central defenders with two guys who are better in the air? Why would play into their hands and play away from our strengths?

The rest of their XI is spectacular, the only way we're going to beat Honduras is by over-running their back line.

cheers,

matthew

Guys i've been thinkin....

simpson looked lost out there vs the guats......that was his debut tho.....he looked a lil (albeit not as much) lost in his debut with millwall and then just learned as he went very quickly. I dont wanna write him off rite away as being "no where near ready enough " for international football....give this guy another chance or two...he played great in UAE and he's gotten better with each game at the den...

i think (frank probly doesnt) that maybe josh would be better suited at LB with jazic moving up to left mid.......i believe thats where he plays with torpedo or whatever the hell his russian club is called. Some millwall fans were syaing he looked more comfortable on the ball back there as it game him more space with the ball without as much immediate pressure on him from defenders.

so this is my new starting 11

Onstad ([V] no other choice really yet

Diesel - devos - mckenna - Simpson

Serioux

Hume - - Jazic

JDG

Radz - Occean

likely lineup from franky :

Onstad (captain at that!)

Diesel - devos - Twatson - Jazic

hume - deguz - bircham/imhoff - DeRo

radz - pesch