Starting 11 for Honduras is VITAL!

Timotas

Ultimate starting 11 for me...might be the only way of us getting to the hex, seriously... :)

Hirschfeld (after a few games with Dundee Utd)

Stalteri DeVos McKenna Jazic

DeRosario Serioux DeGuzman Brennan

Radzinski Occean

Our defense was soooo weak last night its unbelievable... Pizzo and Watson are complete crap, I don't even care if Watson played "decent" by his standards, we can't play A-Leaguers, we WONT GO ANYWHERE!!!!! We need DeVos and McKenna there, its a must. I know against the Guats we didn't have the players we needed for the win, but thats over and done with. Simpson? Did nothing but loose the ball. Can't really believe Yallop would choose Simpson over Brennan, Brennan is a Premiership player. Remember many of you saying..."Its either Yallop is a freakin genius or a freakin moron"... well right now hes a freakin moron. Most of you saying how Peters should start, I dunno why? Hell hes great for a 17 year old, but are you guys thinking clearly? He can't start, we'll go 0-6 in this semi-final round. Upfront, can't really see Pesch doing anything else for us, he's basically done. He was so ineffective last night, against so called "semi-pro" Guatemala side, which really looked like a side with a class of a Conacaf powerhouse. Basically everyone on our team was garbage, excluding Jazic who played pretty solid and Serioux who didn't make any mistakes. In goal, Onstand, I dunno, seems to be good in the MLS, but blah, has never proven himself internationally, seems the reverse of Thomas Gravensen of Denmark/Everton.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright,

My thoughts for the starting 11 are.

Radz, Occean up front.

Hume, De Guzman, Serioux, De Rosario

Brennan, Devos, Mckenna, Stalteri

Hirshfeld after games of course. But not sure if he will get much he is the backup at Dundee.

Brennan plays mostly on the backline for Norwich and they quite like him there he plays mid too, it also would give our flanks some attacking support if needed, but speed is greatly increased, If Mckenna can't keep up then maybe Imhof, Bircham should come in or they can sub in for the mid.

Also Pesch and Peters would be handy off the bench Peters could be that all important spark that you can bring on to get the guys going.

People must not forget Hume because he is are best free kick taker. and probably one of our most offensively gifted players.

Simpson can fit in somewhere but he should be down the depth a little but still on the roster. I like the kid, but I think he is not use to all this travel, remember he played college ball before this. So travelling wasn't really much.

GK: Hirschfeld

FB: Jazic, De Vos, McKenna, Stalteri

MF: Hume, de Guzman, de Rosario, Brennan

ST: Radzinski, Occean

That's just my view of it. Serioux and Peters looked pretty good coming off the bench against Guatemala, but I think that was just my eyes deceiving me because the rest of Canada was so bad...they're not ready for the big time yet. I'm an unapologetic Hume worshipper, so he's in my lineup, and I like Brennan too much to sit him.

There's too many guys in these lineups playing out of position, the teams are not built around strengths. It's like England putting StevieG on the left of midfield, it hurts the team.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Stalteri is not a good defender, he's got a great engine and lots of confidence but he tries to do too much and gets caught out of position, he needs to be in midfield, but with someone covering his back.

Imhof is not a distributor, he can win the ball but doesn't have the ability to make a pass. Solid as a fullback.

DeRosario is not a winger, he doesn't have a clue what he should be doing without the ball and his crossing is poor. defensive liability but doesn't add much to the offence. Needs to be more central but not with his back to goal. Not a target man, but someone who runs with the ball and makes things happen.

Hume is not a midfielder. He's a nippy little winger who uses his pace to get behind the fullbacks and whip in crosses. Great shot with either foot.

So the best team for Honduras should look like this, assuming everyone's available

Hirschfeld

Imhof - DeVos - McKenna - Jazic

Bircham

Stalteri

DeRosario

Hume

Hirschfeld

Nsaliwa, DeVos, Menezes, Jazic

Stalteri, DeGuzman, Serioux, Brennan

Occean, Radzinski

Subs:

Hume, McKenna, DeRosario, Hutchinson, Bernier, Onstad

Edit: note that I'm sticking to Frank's beloved 4-4-2 even though I favour the 3-5-2 considering our personel at the moment.

In a 3-5-2:

----------Hirschfeld

---Nsaliwa--DeVos--Jazic

------Stalteri-Serioux

Hume-----DeGuzman----Brennan

-------Occean-Radzinski

Personally, I would consider the following:

1. go back to a 3-5-2 formation, with dedicated speed defenders at the wingback position and 2 holding midfielders in front of deVos

2. move Stalteri into midfield so that he can cover more ground without worrying about his wingback responsibilities

3. move deGuzman into a more offensive position to minimize getting him carded and take advantage of his attacking skills

4. keep the kids (Hume, Hutch, Simpson, Peters) as zestful substitutes

5. Menezes or McKenna as cover for deVos, in case of injury

Onstad (or Hirschfeld)

Bent/Nsaliwa - deVos - Jazic

Stalteri - Imhof/Serioux

deRosario - deGuzman - Brennan

Pesch - Radzinski

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

Hirschfeld

Nsaliwa, DeVos, Menezes, Jazic

Stalteri, DeGuzman, Serioux, Brennan

Occean, Radzinski

Subs:

Hume, McKenna, DeRosario, Hutchinson, Bernier, Onstad

That is the starting line-up I'd pencil in. My bench would be: Hume, Onstad, Hutchinson, DeRosario, Imhoff, McKenna and Peters. As far as I am concerned, the only other guy we have to play right back is Nsaliwa. So, if Stalteri moves up, Tam is the man in the back. Menezes would be a sweeper and I think there is adequate cover on the bench if anyone gets injured. Although I thought Imhoff played well enough, I was more impresed with Serioux and DeGuzman so they get the start. Pesch, Watson, Pizzolitto and Simpson played their way off the team this team around. Frankly, given Yallop's treatment of Nsaliwa, Aguiar, and the guys he dumped from Beleize, I don't think he has any choice but to drop the weaker performers from the Guatemala game. Onstad did as well, frankly, but I don't think Frank will drop him entirely (actually, not at all and he'll probably get the call to start).

Only Menezes and Nsaliwa haven't gotten any burn with the Nats recently, but I think there past performances have to count.

I'm spending way too much time thinking about this, but over coffee and a smoke, revised the approach:

Move Jazic over to right back, Brennan on the left.

The long legs of Hutchinson to cover the mdifield gap in front of the back line. Stalteri in front of Hutch with the freedom to run the mdifeld, DeRosario dropping back to pick up the ball and run at defenders, Hume and DeGuzman snapping away at the Honduran back line to keep them from building from the back and big man McKenna to lead the line. Which means Watson in defence. ****, now I've gotta start over again. Ok Hutch in the back and Bircham in the holding role, no that's no good, Serioux to hold and Occean to lead the line, don't like that either...oh well every team's got to have a goat!

Hirschfeld

Watson - - - DeVos

Jazic Brennan

Hutchinson

----Stalteri -----

DeGuzamn Hume

DeRosario

McKenna

One of my biggest concerns is having the pace at the back to cover guys like Suazo and Guevara and Pavon (if he plays). Obviously this means that Pizz and Watson are out of the lineup. I think that a 3-5-2 is the best for our roster and would start:

Hirschfeld/Sutton

Stalteri -- De Vos -- Jazic

Brennan -- De Rosario -- Serioux -- De Guzman -- Hume

Radz -- Occean

In a 4-4-2

Hirschfeld/Sutton

Stalteri --De Vos -- McKenna/Menezes -- Jazic

Brennan -- Serioux -- De Guzman -- Hume

Radz -- Occean

Bench: Peters, Simpson, Pesch, McKenna/Menezes, Onstad, Hutch

Do we have any real speedsters who can play at the back, preferrably in the centre with De Vos, to keep an eye on Honduras' quick strikers? I like both De Vos and McKenna, but they're not the speediest guys around. Someone like Hutchison may be an option back there (I recall him being pretty fast). Perhaps Nsaliwa?

If Radz decides not to show up, I'd move De Rosario up front with Occean and slot Simpson into his place in midfield. I am certain that he can play better than he did on Wednesday. If De Vos is unable to play, we're in real trouble...

STARTERS

Goal:Hirschfeld-I dont care if he hasn't played a lot.He is more competitive,and confident.

Right Back:Nsaliwa or Bent-They've proven that they can cover speedy wingers.Smart enough not to get caughht out of position.

Centre Backs:De Vos and Menezes-Simply the best we have for this position.McKenna can be switched back from striker if necessary.

Left Back:Jazic-No one is close to stripping him of his starting position.This guy is an unsung hero.Should be playing for a better team in a better league.

Right Midfield:Serioux-Lone bright spot from Guatemala game.Can play anywhwere we need him.No nonsense player who'll keep the opposition honest.

Centre Mid(Holding)Stalteri-Will win balls and actually find someone to lay it off too or carry the ball if space is available.Will yell at teamates to pick up their game.

Centre Mid(Attacking)De Guzman-Has the creative instinct to make plays.Will get fouled in dangerous areas.Open up defenses.

Left Midfield-Hume-It's time to unleash his fury upon this qualifying group.If Honduras scouted the Guatemala game without Ian they'll be in for a surprise.

Striker:Radzinski-Best goal poacher we have.Will make something out of nothing.

Striker(Target Man):McKenna-Goal scoring record speaks for itself.At this point in time a better option than Occean.Less clumsy and better first touch.Probably better in the air as well.

Subs:De Ro-Too light weight to replace Serioux.Can replace Radz if he is not ready to go.

Occean-Can replace McKenna or Menezes.2nd choice to McKenna right now.

Brennan-2nd choice to Hume

Imhoff-Bent or Nsaliwa deserve a chance at right back.Serioux is playing better than him right now and I think Stalteri and De Guzman have to be in midfield together.

Reda-Why have we forgotten this man?Surely he has to figure in somewhere in this campaign.He's too good not to.Rate him higher than Gervais or Bernier.

Hutchinson-Lots of potential.Has to be kept in the mix.Can cover in mid or backline.

Stamatopolous-Anyone other than Onstad

When considering who to use at centre back to inject some pace, it surprises me that Hutchinson and Nsaliwa's (who aren't natural centre backs) names come up so often and Mike Klukowski's doesn't. Kluk may have only played on the left for Canada, but he has played both left back and centre back for his club side in Belgium. Also, by many accounts, he is the "general" of their back line, which is remarkable in light of his age. Plus, he's got decent size, great defensive instincts, good ball skills and the pace of a fullback.

I wish Yallop would consider the merits of using Klukowski as a centre back, especially since he has now fallen quite far down the depth chart on the left side with the emergence of Josh Simpson. Klukowski could be just the man we need back there.

I wish Frank would read this board so we could give him some tips :)! We all want Onstand out, from poor performance after poor performance after poor performance. Everytime we give him the ball he looses possession, anyways I don't wanna go about this guy. Sadly, Yallop will never drop Onstand, mainly because of their connection at the Earthquakes. Hirschfeld needs to be given a chance again, see what he did for us at Gold Cup 2002. He is certainly a better shot stopper and probably a lot more confident, being younger and more youthful to have the confidence to make better decisions (2nd goal by Guatemala was horrible). Ugh, still feel sick about the Guatemala game, but we have to forget it, stay positive, and we better get a win against Honduras. We will beat Honduras, we will! Just think of the Guatemala game as a wake up call.

My question is why does everybody seem to think Brennan should play left mid, the guy has played for Norwich maybe 2 times in that spot.

The guy plays left back and thats pretty much all he does. Why would you put a guy in the mid when we could use him where he is at his best, a left back in the premier league.

I understand simpson should not play but Hume and De Rosario will be on the left and right of our mid and Occean and Radz should be up front. De Guzman and Serioux in the middle.

I think I posted this elsewhere, but anyway . . .

I like Brennan at left mid, because he has always been a left mid until the last couple of years. He's a good attacker and he can track back a bit.

I don't think we can go 3-5-2. We already made the mistake of trying to throw a bunch of new faces into the lineup and wound up looking very disorganized. Going to a totally different formation wouldn't produce a good result.

I'm not sure we can play McKenna and DeVos side by side against Honduras. We need someone with pace. I don't even think Menezes has the pace to be that guy. Suazo is lethal and their midfield is one of the best in the region.

My pick:

--------------------Onstad

Serioux--Hutchinson--DeVos--Jazic

Hume--Stalteri--DeGuzman--Brennan

----------DeRosario--Radzinski

or:

---------------Onstad

---------------Serioux

----Imhof---DeVos---Jazic

Hume--Stalteri--DeGuzman--Brennan

----------DeRosario--Radzinski

I think Serioux or Hutchinson can at least run with some of these attackers if need be. I know neither one is a natural there, but we need to do something drastic. Other than that everyone's playing their natural position more or less.

(I don't think we need a target forward. We need to get after the Honduran backline with pace. It's the only weakness on this team. Our two best forwards are Radz and DeRo. Let's keep the ball on the ground and build up.

As for goal, until Lars is getting time I don't think there's a decision to be made. If he starts playing for Dundee Utd, then maybe I'll change my mind.

cheers,

matthew

Ok here we go...

HIRSCHFELD

Stalteri - De Vos - McKenna - Jazic

Brennan/De Rosario - Serioux - De Guzman - Hume

Occean - Radzinski

Subs: Imhof, Simpson, Peters, Sutton, Hutch

(Possibly put Brennan in the back and put De Rosario there instead of Jazic? Or maybe move Stally up, which I'd like to see. Won;t happen though.)

I love the way everyone is so critical after a loss. One bad game and everyone wants drastic changes. What are you going to do take out Onstad and put in a goalie who sees very little playing time? Change the first coach who allowed youths to get a chance to gain valuable experience, playing internationally? If Hogar was coach half of these players probably would not play under him. I think Yallop is getting these guys some spot time so they can be picked up by clubs, wich over time will benefit their skills, experience, and give us a better future for canadian futbol. Its something that should have been done long time ago. Thank god Yallop is getting right on the ball. I have seen too much talent wasted in Ontario because CSA fundings go out west coast and very little in Ontario.Most of our top product come out of Ontario(Radz, Stalteri, Hume, Derosario, Bent, Brennan, DeGuzman,Devos, Klukowski, Menezes, Pesch, Pozniak, Serioux, Peters etc) and we don"t even have a stadium. But the stadium in vancouver(west coast) with a max capacity of under 7000 get an international game? I would be pretty pissed off if I flew to Vancouver to get rejected at the gate. Lets just face it the CSA organization pockets alot of the money that should be used in player developement. I Think Yallop will try to change this, or he will quit. Now that I have vented, the best line we can put on the field is-

Dero Radz

Hume Serioux Deguzman Peters or Brennan

Mckenna Devos Stalteri Menezes or Jazic

Onstad

[}:)]

Some player suggestions here have me scratching my head:

Menezes: I haven't seen him play in two years, but I doubt his pace has improved. There's only so much savvy and guile that can compensate for a lack of speed and in a zone marking four man back line he would be badly exposed.

Bent: Is he even playing? What team is he playing for?

Serioux looks like he should start in midfield, play DeRosario in a more central attacking role, no A-League defenders in the squad.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Some player suggestions here have me scratching my head:

Menezes: I haven't seen him play in two years, but I doubt his pace has improved. There's only so much savvy and guile that can compensate for a lack of speed and in a zone marking four man back line he would be badly exposed.

Unfortunately we don't have a natural centre back with any speed. But both DeVos and Menezes compensate with brains, positioning and reading the game. That is the advantage they have over Reda, McKenna, Watson, Pizzolitto and just about anyone else over the age of 16.

Frankly, I can live with Matthew's suggestion of Hutchinson or Serioux over the "A" Leaguers.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Serioux looks like he should start in midfield, play DeRosario in a more central attacking role, no A-League defenders in the squad.

Yeah, I am one who thought that Imhoff played pretty well on Wednesday, but think a Central Midfield of Serioux and DeGuzman would be a better option based on their play.

Archived