McKenna News

sstackho

Football: McKenna"s leg-up gives Craig boost

184 words

19 August 2004

Scottish Daily Record

English

© 2004 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday Mail Ltd

HEARTS received a massive boost yesterday when scans revealed no serious damage to Kevin McKenna"s injured leg. The Canadian could nowbe in line for a place against Kilmarnock on Saturday.

With Mark de Vries out with a hamstring problem, coach Craig Levein will be keen to use McKenna"s aerial presence up front.

Hearts" only strike this season has been courtesy of a Steven Pressley penalty but Levein is sure goals will come. Levein said: "Kevin is a little better.He had a scan and that showed nothing major and he has been doing a little bit of running as well.

"In saying that he has missed three weeks. He is doubtful for the weekend but he has a better chance than de Vries.

"I"m reasonably happy with the way we"ve been playing. I feel we have been missing a wee bit in the front areas.

"We"ve also been unlucky and once we get a little bit of luck in front of goal we"ll be away.I am not worried."

Gorgie sale is almost sealed

By Blair Esson

212 words

19 August 2004

The Express

English

© 2004 Express Newspapers

HEARTS chairman George Foulkes last night said the conditional sale of Tynecastle to a housing developer should be approved within days.

Subject to the negotiations being completed successfully, an EGM will be called for shareholders to vote on the issue.

Foulkes said: "We are still having a series of meetings, which we hope to conclude soon.

"This week is what I would like in terms of a conclusion, as long as there are no unforeseen problems."

Meanwhile, Kevin McKenna could be back in the frame for Hearts within days after a series of scans on his injured leg ruled out any serious damage.

McKenna has been out since the start of the season with a shin injury, and with 16-goal marksman Mark de Vries sidelined with a hamstring problem boss Craig Levein's options have been limited.

However, the versatile Canadian is improving, although he is likely to miss out again this weekend against Kilmarnock.

Levein won't rush McKenna, and insisted:

"Kevin is a little better.

He had a scan and that showed nothing major.

In saying that, he has missed three weeks.

"I'd say he is doubtful for the weekend but he has a better chance than Mark de Vries."

Levein to continue his travels

EXCLUSIVE By Jim McLean

267 words

25 August 2004

The Express

English

CRAIG LEVEIN has started compiling a secret dossier on possible Hearts players for the future.

Express Sport can reveal that the Tynecastle chief was in England last night looking over potential signing targets.

Hearts have almost a complete team of players who will be free agents at the end of this season and such is the financial uncertainty at the club that it is impossible to say how many the Hearts coach will be able to keep hold of beyond next summer.

Nevertheless, Levein is determined to maintain the Jambos current status as best of the rest behind the Old Firm and every free midweek the manager and his staff will be sent on spying missions.

He said last night: "Right now I do not have a penny to spend but it is so important that we keep our finger on the pulse as to what might be available in the future.

"The best way to do that is to take a first hand look at players and that job is now under way. No one knows what lies ahead in football but, nevertheless, it is so important that we are well prepared and ready to move should the need arise ."

Hearts have claimed seven points out of nine from the first three games without their goal ace Mark de Vries.

While the big Dutchman is stepping up his training it looks as if he, along with Canadian Kevin McKenna, will not be ready in time to play from the start against Motherwell at Fir Park this weekend.

"Kevin McKenna, will not be ready in time to play from the start against Motherwell at Fir Park this weekend. "

Hmmm, "from the start", wonder if that choice of words implies Kevin may see some substitute action this weekend. I'd have to hope this was the case, since it increases the likelihood he could play for Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

"Kevin McKenna, will not be ready in time to play from the start against Motherwell at Fir Park this weekend. "

Hmmm, "from the start", wonder if that choice of words implies Kevin may see some substitute action this weekend. I'd have to hope this was the case, since it increases the likelihood he could play for Canada.

Yes, I'm hoping for that interpretation, too. We looked so poor in the air off set plays and corners against the Squat-Guats, and having Ocean, DeVos and Mckenna in the line-up will do much to rectify that.

Fingers are crossed.

OK guys, interpret this:

Football: Mark"s on the mend

65 words

27 August 2004

Mirror

English

© 2004 Mirror Group Ltd

HEARTS coach Craig Levein will take advantage of the international weekend to strengthen his squad with the return to fitness of two key players.

Mark de Vries and Kevin McKenna will have recovered in time for the visit of Rangers on September 11.

Levein said: "Mark and Kevin will be fit then and that"s a big boost."

----

P.S. Hey Beaver, how was the wedding and honeymoon?

Guest Can. in UK

I guess he won't be match fit for our WCQs.

According to their respective team web-sites, DeVos, Hume and Radzinski have all been called up for international duty.

Actually it could also mean he will be available for Canada and will get match fit for Hearts while playing internationally.

If he's ready for Rangers on the 11th, why not at least for CR on the 8th?

*ugh* If our media had a clue they would be following this stuff and we wouldn't have to speculate.

Guest Can. in UK

I don't know if it would be worth sending McKenna out against Costa Rica if he hasn't played all year... but I guess when you consider the options it doesn't seem like a bad idea.

We need a Central Defense saviour. Canadian Immigration officials should add a new category to the citizenship system. If you play central defence at a relatively high level, you get automatic citizenship and an invite to a national training camp.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

OK guys, interpret this:

Football: Mark"s on the mend

65 words

27 August 2004

Mirror

English

© 2004 Mirror Group Ltd

HEARTS coach Craig Levein will take advantage of the international weekend to strengthen his squad with the return to fitness of two key players.

Mark de Vries and Kevin McKenna will have recovered in time for the visit of Rangers on September 11.

Levein said: "Mark and Kevin will be fit then and that"s a big boost."

----

P.S. Hey Beaver, how was the wedding and honeymoon?

Sstackho, mi amigo, thank you for asking. The wedding and honeymoon went very well indeed. (Except for the fact that the poor showing against Guatamala happened smack in the middle of the honeymoon.)

Will you be in Edmonton for the Honduras game? Hope to see all of you guys soon.

Glad to hear it all went well (except for the obvious disappointment).

I won't be in Edmonton, sadly. I can't say I was planning on making the voyage in the first place, but I will be in Montreal that weekend for a wedding. Thankfully it's an early wedding. :)

• 2 weeks later...

McKenna return is dashed by knee op

PAUL KIDDIE

270 words

2 September 2004

Evening News - Scotland

English

© The Scotsman Publications Ltd.

HEARTS star Kevin McKenna's hopes for a speedy return from his knee injury have been dashed after surgery will see him ruled out of action for a further six weeks.

The Canadian, who has missed the start of the SPL campaign after being sidelined during the side's pre-season build-up, went under the knife yesterday in an Edinburgh hospital.

The 24-year-old will now be out of action until October, the news delivering a hammer blow to his hopes of featuring in the Jambos' forthcoming UEFA Cup first-round clash against Portuguese side Braga.

While disappointed at the news of McKenna's enforced absence, boss Craig Levein has been handed a boost with Mark de Vries now fit enough to participate in a full-blown training session.

The Dutchman has been missing since damaging a hamstring in the friendly against Fulham in July but was due to take a full part in today's squad session.

Levein will think carefully before re-introducing him to the fray in Saturday's Bank of Scotland Festival Cup clash with Hibs at Tynecastle.

"It will be a real bonus to have Mark back," said Levein, "but whether he plays this weekend or not I don't know.

"He is a bit further down the line than when he played against Fulham. We will have a chat over the next couple of days and see what happens.

"We have a busy month coming up with a lot important games."

Hearts, meanwhile, defeated Raith Rovers 5-1 in a bounce game yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...

Football: De Vries staring at a Braga blow

John Docherty

250 words

24 September 2004

Scottish Daily Record

English

© 2004 Scottish Daily Record & Sunday Mail Ltd

HEARTS hitman Mark de Vries is almost certainly out of Thursday night"s UEFA Cup clash with Braga in Portugal. The big Dutchman underwent X-rays yesterday amid fears he may have broken a bone in his foot during Hearts" CIS Cup victory over Kilmarnock on Wednesday.

De Vries will miss tomorrow"s home SPL match against Inverness Caley and his chances of making the Braga game are now hanging by a thread.

It"s a blow for the Jambos who take a healthy advantage to Portugal after their 3-1 first-leg win at Murrayfield.

Boss Craig Levein said: "I will find out the results of Mark"s X-rays on Friday.

"He"s already out for Saturday and does not look good for the Braga game either.

"He"s hobbling and could hardly put any weight on his foot this morning.

"Mark is not 100 per cent but he still does a job for us.

"But it"s not the end of the world. We have played in a lot of games without Mark and managed to get results so we will come up with something, that"s for sure.

"We have some good players. Ramon Pereira and Graham Weir should be fit at the start of next week although it"s unlikely they will play on Saturday.

"Kevin McKenna is back training on Monday as well although it would be a lot to ask of him."

From PaulStalteri.com:

Thursday September 23rd

Following orthoscopic surgery on his knee, Kevin McKenna has been very responsive to rehab and hopes to be back in practice within the next 7 to 10 days. It is doubtful that he will be fit before for next the two World Cup Qualifiers.

McKenna harbouring hopes of a comeback

Graham Bean

249 words

27 September 2004

The Scotsman

English

© 2004

KEVIN McKenna, who has been deployed regularly by Hearts as an auxiliary striker, will resume training today and has not ruled out the possibility of being part of the squad for Thursday's UEFA Cup tie in Portugal against Braga.

The Canadian international has not played a competitive match this season after sustaining a knee injury shortly before the league campaign began. McKenna underwent surgery on the knee earlier this month, and while it's more likely he will resume playing next week, there is an outside chance he could feature in the European tie, which they lead 3-1 from the first leg at Murrayfield.

"I'm going to train on Monday and see if there is any reaction," McKenna told the Hearts website. "I'd be happy to get back anytime, whatever the game as it's been a while now and can get very frustrating."

Craig Levein, the Hearts head coach, is currently without four of his five first-team strikers because of injury but hopes to have one or two of the injured quartet in his squad to face Braga.

"We've had to do without Mark de Vries, Kevin McKenna, Ramon Pereira and Graham Weir but we need one of them, or preferably two, on that plane to Portugal," Levein said yesterday.

Last night, Braga drew 0-0 at Portuguese league leaders Benfica in Lisbon. The result means Hearts' opponents lie in seventh on six points.

It's all gone Pereira shaped for Levein

By Jim McLean

563 words

28 September 2004

The Express

English

UEFA CUP UPDATE: Hearts hitman a doubt

CRAIG LEVEIN was near his wits end last night after key man Roman Pereira suffered a freak accident in training which could deny him a European debut in Portugal on Thursday.

The Hearts boss was banking on the return of the Spanish hitman to ease his striking dilemma in the UEFA Cup second leg tie against Braga.

It was all looking good for Hearts and Pereira when he trained for an hour - then it went horribly wrong.

Levein said: "One minute Ramon was flying and it was looking good. Then he was involved in an accident and ended up hobbling off.

"He took a knock on the same ankle that has kept him out of the side for the last couple of weeks.

"We don't know the full extent of the damage. Hopefully, it is only a little setback because we badly need him in Portugal.

Ramon is quick and direct, the type of player we need.

"I'm desperate to get one fit striker on the park because we can't go and defend for 90 minutes. That's asking for trouble."

Levein does not have his trouble to seek up front, with top scorer Mark de Vries out injured for the second time this season and is currently on crutches.

Young Graham Weir has been floored with the mumps and while stand-in striker Kevin McKenna returned to training yesterday after being sidelined for more than a month, he has no chance of making the starting line up.

That leaves Dennis Wyness as the only fit striker, but he is suffering a serious loss of form and Levein will not want to rely solely on him.

The Jambos boss, who relished a 3-1 win in the first leg, added: "I don't know what we're going to do.

All our injuries are to forwards.

I've never known anything like this. I just keep praying someone will be fit enough to get on the park.

"Because of our problems I may have to put Kevin McKenna on the bench and hope I can get 20 minutes from him if necessary."

The strength of Braga was well illustrated at the weekend when assistant-boss Peter Houston watched them draw 0-0 with Benfica in Lisbon. Levein added: "They have had some very good results in their domestic league and this display in Lisbon only emphasises the tough job we have on our hands."

Meanwhile, it has come to light that Braga star Paulo Sergio could have been a Hibs player.

The midfielder was all set to quit Portugal for Easter Road only for the deal to collapse after a fall out between agents.

Now Sergio is settled with Braga and focused on gaining his revenge for the Scottish rebuff by ending Hearts' UEFA Cup dream.

He said: "I was dreaming of moving abroad and my agent told me that there was a club interested in me in Scotland. It was Hibernian.

"I rescinded my contract, thinking I was going to that club, but then a series of problems between agents occurred and it didn't happen.

"I ended up going to Spain, where they play the best football in the world, but I am so happy to be back in Portugal."

Looks like McKenna and many others are out of contract at the end of this season...

Peter's board games

by IAIN COLLIN

323 words

2 October 2004

Daily Star

English

© copyright Express Newspapers 2004

Hearts v Livingston

HEARTS assistant boss Peter Houston reckons the Tynecastle board have to free up some Euro cash or stand guilty of causing the break-up of an exceptional Hearts side.

The club's feats in Portugal on Thursday night are set to swell the coffers by £2million, thanks to the new group format in the UEFA Cup.

However, Hearts have no fewer than 12 players including match-winner Mark De Vries and captain Steven Pressley out of contract this coming summer.

And Houston said: "It is well quoted that the club is going to make some money.

"Some of that money, in my opinion, has to be given to us to retain the players we want to stay at the club.

"We are great believers in having players who earn their money. No one can accuse this squad of not earning their keep."

Other than two-goal hero De Vries and Pressley, Tepi Moilanen, Alan Maybury, Patrick Kisnorbo, Kevin McKenna, Phil Stamp, Joe Hamill, Ramon Pereira, Robert Sloan and Michael Stewart are all out of contract in June.

Hearts will make a late decision on the fitness of De Vries for the Livi clash.

Kevin McKenna is in contention also.

Livi boss Allan Preston, meanwhile, can't hide his admiration for his former Jambos team-mate Craig Levein.

Preston, who grew up a Hearts supporter and was skippered by Levein during his spell at Tynecastle in the early 90s, said: "I played with Craig at Hearts.

"He was the captain when I was there and playing for Scotland at the time and he always had leadership qualities.

"Craig's definitely a role model for myself and for young coaches and managers like myself. His side are also the benchmark for teams outwith the Old Firm."

Preston has David McNamee back from suspension compensating for the loss of Steven Boyack and Richard Brittain through injury.

Archived