Does anyone still believe we can still make it?

soccerbeast

"All we have to do is win our other two home matches, take back our win from the Guats when we play them in Guatemala City and get an away draw against either Costa Rica or Honduras......It possible, but we obviously have to play up to our potential."

At the risk of being accused of being too negative.....

Can anybody tell me the last time we played up to our potential in World Cup Qualifying? Was it 1985? And don't get me wrong, although the Gold Cup was fantastic, the only thing that really matters is WCQ, no?

quote:Originally posted by Whither Canada

"And don't get me wrong, although the Gold Cup was fantastic, the only thing that really matters is WCQ, no?

Everything else is nice, but nothing like the World Cup. By the way, I still remember that 85 series. I was a lil kid growing up in Tegicigalpa and saw the game at the National Stadium. I still remember how that ball went through the goalkeeper Arzu's hands for the Canada win against Honduras. We went on after to beat Costa Rica, and had the momentum to beat Canada. But someone came up with the idea of sending us to St John and our players practically frooze to death. To tell you the truth Honduras has never really gotten over that day in St John, people back home talk about it all the time...

Can Canada go to the next level,With a little luck yes.

Will they go to next level. No.

It bugs me to say that too. Believe me. But you what do expect

when all our players are playing in Foriegn lands and are probaly tired from all the Constant Travelling.and at the same time which gives very little time to prepare.

We need a league here in Canada. Hell why not have a couple teams in the M.L.S.

quote:Originally posted by Lilloco

Everything else is nice, but nothing like the World Cup. By the way, I still remember that 85 series. I was a lil kid growing up in Tegicigalpa and saw the game at the National Stadium. I still remember how that ball went through the goalkeeper Arzu's hands for the Canada win against Honduras. We went on after to beat Costa Rica, and had the momentum to beat Canada. But someone came up with the idea of sending us to St John and our players practically frooze to death. To tell you the truth Honduras has never really gotten over that day in St John, people back home talk about it all the time...

And hopefully, once the stadium in St-John's is renovated (6,000 cap.), we'll play many friendlies and WCQs there. Close to Europe and garanteed Canadian support by at least 90%. It's expensive as hell to get there and impossible to drive to.

And in 1985, some Hondurans accidentally showed up in St. John, NB! [:o)]

Yallop has already stated that 3 teams in the MLS would be great. 45 or so of our best player's with good competition (look what it has done for the US team) and easy access to the National team. Some of our best will still play in Europe but we will get continuity and a solid base for them to join when called upon.

quote:Originally posted by nedved9

Can Canada go to the next level,With a little luck yes.

Will they go to next level. No.

It bugs me to say that too. Believe me. But you what do expect

when all our players are playing in Foriegn lands and are probaly tired from all the Constant Travelling.and at the same time which gives very little time to prepare.

We need a league here in Canada. Hell why not have a couple teams in the M.L.S.

Yeah, I believe we still have a chance. But Canada has to go out and take the game to Honduras from the get go. Canada was tentative (as we often are) to start the game. Guatamala, which plays together more often, were ready to play and simply took the game to the shaky Canadians. We can't let this happen again at home.

With a win, I think confindence will be renewed amongst the players. A loss or even a draw against Honduras will be too much to recover from. Desperation time for Yallop and his boys. So let's play like it!

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

WE ONLY LOST ONE GAME!!!!!!!!!! get really everyone there 15 more pionts that we are going to get...

It's not that it was just one loss, it's how they lost. It was pathetic. I have possibly never seen a worse home performance on that grass in over 100 A-League games, with metro, W-League, women's world cup, and university leagues included.

I've seen some better play at halftime at Whitecaps games by those little kids that are 3 ft. tall and their jerseys are 2 ft. long. You know the kids that just kick the ball at random whenever they get it and never run towards it? Kinda like Canada did the last 10-15 minutes of the game, ironically enough.

As for the coaching, there were players who should have been subbed very quickly - they obviously showed no heart or interest. Principal among them #7 Stalteri.

However they might do it, they'll have to improve well over 100% to even have a chance of tieing a single game. It sucks, but don't shoot the messenger.

quote:Originally posted by Smash

It's not that it was just one loss, it's how they lost. It was pathetic.......However they might do it, they'll have to improve well over 100% to even have a chance of tieing a single game. It sucks, but don't shoot the messenger.

Exactly.

There has been no evidence from the past that they can come back from something like this. What makes this time any different?

quote:Originally posted by fza

I totally agree with you man!...I can`t believe everyone`s losing faith in this team. Remember the GoldCup when we qualified from a coin toss and went on to become champs?..this team has something special I can`t see it (Chile) but at least I can feel it!

We were missing 6 top quality players :

McKenna

DeVos

Radz

Hume

Aguiar

Brennan

So everyone please stay positive!!..If you`re not a true die-hard fan then like "NOLANDO" says:

GET OFF THE BUS!!

AND STAY OFF, WE DON`T WANT PEOPLE TO JUMP ON THE TEAM CANADA WAGON AFTER WE WIN THE NEXT GAME.

Were "Canada " not team canada what a stupid name for a national side , we all know its a team, it's the stupid hockey team in 72

we got to blame for all sides being called "Team Canada" it's something Canadian soccer has to rid it self off. It's

Canada's National soccer team. As far as the Gold Cup win goes

yes we did have lady luck on our side, but we also played decent football as well not like we did vs Guatemala.

Archived