On Jet Lag

Canuck Oranje

I am reluctant to criticize European-based players for their performance in this game. Anyone who has travelled overseas knows that it takes a while to get your bearings even when you are not expected to perform in an intense sporting activity. I can only imagine the difficulty these players had making the adjustment. But clearly, soccer administrators don't get it.

How many will lose their place on the team because of this debacle? Will we see a player lose his place because of Jet Lag? And are we laying the responsibility with all who should be accountable?

It would be easy to blame the players for a lousy performance; but, I really find it hard to point fingers at the Euro-based players. Someone chose Vancouver as the location for this game and someone decided that only four days were needed before the game to make the adjustment. I don't think the players are responsible for those decisions.

From http://www.doctor-travel.com/jetlag.html see below. Keep in mind that European-based players traveled across 8-11 time zones to get to Vancouver. In hindsight, we should have expected it.

"If you suffer from jet lag, you are not alone. One study showed that as many as 94% of long haul fliers experienced some form of it. Other research indicated that even flight attendants are not immune.

Jet lag includes such physical symptoms as fatigue, insomnia, disorientation, swelling limbs, ear/nose/eye irritations, headaches, bowel irregularity and lightheadedness.

In other words, your body is out of whack. So much so that it can impede both your physical and mental performance. Greg Louganis, the world champion Olympic diver, for example, blamed jet lag as the cause of his accidentally hitting his head on the diving platform during the 1979 Olympic trials. John Foster Dulles, the American Secretary of State, blamed jet lag for his poor judgment after he flew to Egypt to conduct negotiations on the Aswan Dam.

Jet lag occurs because changes in time zones confuse the body's 24-hour inner clock known as "circadian rhythms." If you live in California, for example, and fly to New York, it is three hours later. If you are now on the East coast and you are ready to go to bed at your usual time of 11 P.M., your body knows it is only 8 P.M. and thus has a hard time getting to sleep. Then in the morning when you arise at 6 A.M., your body is saying "Wait a minute, it's only 3 A.M."

It can take as long as one day to adjust for each time zone you cross. It is not the length of your flight that will determine how much jet lag you might experience but how many time zones you have gone through. Jet lag seems to be worse flying eastward. Traveling north to south within the same time zone, on the other hand, produces none."

looks like the sorry CSA forgot to load up the Euro boys with NO JET LAG, the unique homeopathic remedy that has been proven scientifically and is recognized internationally by business travelers, sports teams, military and airline personnel.

Chew one tablet each time your plane takes off and each time it lands and one every two hours while flying. Take the tablets separately from meals. It can be taken with other types of medication. No Jet-Lag does NOT counter the effects of alcohol, lack of sleep, or preexisting medical conditions. Passengers should adopt other sensible measures to help arrive at their destination in the best possible shape. Drinking plenty of spring water (free on all flights) and limiting alcohol consumption are always recommended by Doctor Travel. Walking around when possible, stretching, and not overeating will also counter the effects of jet lag.

No Jet-Lag®: 30 Chewable Tablets (Sufficient for 40 hours flying time) $9.95 plus S&H

nojetlaglogo.gif

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Send this to the CSA. Maybe we can get the final home match of this round switched to Montreal or something.

Yea I hope they change the venue! maybe playing in Vancouver is not good! but do you think the CSA can change their mind on that? they made it official!

quote:Originally posted by Dante79

Yea I hope they change the venue! maybe playing in Vancouver is not good! but do you think the CSA can change their mind on that? they made it official!

Nothing like this is ever official? the problem is only going to get worst as the players have three more similar trips to make in the next three months. I think that ultimately this is might very well be the biggest hurdle we face in WCQ/. However, in all fairness, Jazic had teh worst travel itinerary of all the players. Yet he was far from being one of the worst players out there.

All three games should have been at noon in St. John's NFLD. The players are used to 3pm London time starts, and this would have been equivalent to 3:30 PM in London (as opposed to 3 AM BST like last night was. Added bonuses would be shorter flight for our guys, and a more pro-Canadian crowd. Plus a longer flight for the greasy Guates, and it would have been an early AM start from their perspective. I say fire Pipe for this debacle

You put 5 or 6 turkeys on the field and it doesn't matter where we play, we will be blown out. Discussions on location are a waste of time.

My point was not meant to be so much about location but for proper preparation. If you want a game in Vancouver, give the players more time to adjust in advance. Some South American countries have put two WCQ games 3 days apart so both could be played on the same trip. Even eastern NHL teams group western games together to both reduce costs but also to minimize the impact of Jet Lag and that is usually for no more than a 3 time zone trip.

You give the 11 best players in the world 4 days to adjust and essentially two days to prepare. the end result would not have been much different than last night's especially if half haven't played together.

The best players on the night were from Europe it has nothing to do with Jetlag. Occean, Serioux, De Guzman.

Come on guys I know you want a game in the East bad, and I agree I think you should get a game or two. But that doesn't mean Vancouver shouldn't get any games either. We got the Second game because none of players want to play in snow or ice and freezing temps. Also Kingston had two games already which is more then Van has had in the last bunch of years. The only way that Van could have had one game would have been to have this Guatemala game in the East, but the Costa Rica game pretty much needs to be in Van.

Hey I don't care if all the games are in Van. But if they are they should compensate for the jet lag by having the games at 7 in the morning. There wouldn't be much of a crowd, but at least our guys would be in better shape for the game.

In Kingston, a lot of players (Devos, Radzinski,...) spoke about that

They prefer to play in the East because of travel time and Jet Lag

I think the best solution could be to play a friendly 3/4 days before a WC game

So, the team is there one week before to prepare the friendly and then could be more in shape for the real game

But I worry it wouldn't be possible to free players in Europe so early

Jet lag shouldn't be too much of a problem for the next 2 home games. The game in Edmonton against Honduras is on a Saturday, and most players will play their club games the weekend before this game (except the guys who play in the English second tier). Then, for the Vancouver game against Costa Rica, we will be flying in from the Honduras away game, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Wouldn't Canada be able to secure the release of the lower tier players before that midweek fixture (in the case of the Championship in England)? I thought the CSA could insist on a certain number of days previous to the actual international under FIFA rules.

I took a further look at the 'Championship' schedule and it isn't too bad. There actually isn't a mid-week game. I read in a previous post that they were having mid week games, but it appears they are not. The last games involving Canadians before our Sept. 4th qualifyer are on:

Aug. 30: Ipswich and Derby both play.

Aug. 31: QPR and Millwall both play

For Ian Hume, Tranmere play on Aug.30, but they also have a game on Sept. 3.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

Wouldn't Canada be able to secure the release of the lower tier players before that midweek fixture (in the case of the Championship in England)? I thought the CSA could insist on a certain number of days previous to the actual international under FIFA rules.

see Players Regulations at

http://www.fifa.com/en/regulations/regulationlegal/0,1577,2,00.html

The FIFA preparation time release Rules in Article 36:

"2. The player shall also be released for the period of preparation. The extent of this period is laid down as follows:

for a friendly international match: 48 hours;

for a qualifying match for an international competition: 4 days (including the day of the match). The period of release shall be prolonged to 5 days if the match in question is held on a different continent from that on which the club is domiciled.

for the final competition of an international competition: 14 days before the first match of the tournament. Any friendly matches played during this preparatory period do not count among the five international matches stipulated under par. 2 (a), or the eight matches stipulated under par. 3.

In any event, a player is obliged to arrive at the match venue at least 48 hours before kick-off."

The Hard-ball Rules:

"Art. 38

As a general rule, any player registered with a club is obliged to respond affirmatively when called upon by the national association of which he is a national to play for one of its representative teams.

A national association wishing to summon one of its players who is playing abroad must notify him in writing at least 15 days before the date of the match for which the player is required. The player's club shall also be informed in writing at the same time. The club shall confirm the release of the player within the ensuing six days.

A national association which requests FIFA's help to obtain the release of a player playing abroad may do so only under the following two conditions:

the national association with which the player is registered must have been asked to intervene but without success;

the file must have been submitted to FIFA at least five days before the date of the match for which the player is needed.

Art. 39

A player who is unable to comply with a summons from the national association of which he is a national owing to injury or illness shall, if the association so requires, agree to undergo a medical examination by a doctor of that association's choice.

Art. 40

A player who has been summoned by his national association for one of its representative teams shall, under no circumstances, be entitled to play for the club with which he is registered during the period for which he has been released or should have been released, pursuant to Art. 36 above. This restriction on playing for the club shall, moreover, be prolonged by five days in the event that the player, for whatsoever reason, did not wish to or was unable to comply with the summons.

Art. 41

If a club refuses to release a player or neglects to do so despite the provisions of Art. 36 to Art. 40 above, the FIFA Players' Status Committee shall apply the following sanctions:

a fine

a caution, censure or suspension of the club involved.

Any violation by a club of the restriction on playing mentioned under Art. 40 shall be subject to the following sanctions by the FIFA Players' Status Committee:

all or part of the sanctions mentioned in par. 1 above;

the national association to which the club belongs shall declare the match (or matches) in which the player took part as lost by the club concerned. Any points thus won by the club in question shall be forfeited. Any match contested according to the cup system shall be regarded as having been won by the opposing team, irrespective of the score."

ok......so we have a friendly 4 or 5 days b 4 the wcq so then we can get our players here in time for 1 practice, then the friendly (against a fairly low-level team, tho not as lowly ranked as belize) and then that helps the players gel, then another 3/4 days of practce b 4 the game. Can't be that hard. if guess it would force players to miss a club game so that makes its more difficult but hell, we NEED this prep time. Even if we do it only once during the semi-final round, it would be awesome for team chemistry

Pipe and his buddies at the CSA would never do that. Might offend some of the lads back in the auld country y'know. Besides, the CSA is also thinking "hey, it's only Canada, we have no chance anyway, so let's just get this embarrassing WCQ thing out of the way as quick as we can, so we can go back to supporting ManU and hyping the U19 Women and the 1 million registered soccer players."

quote:Originally posted by leekoo

looks like the sorry CSA forgot to load up the Euro boys with NO JET LAG, the unique homeopathic remedy that has been proven scientifically and is recognized internationally by business travelers, sports teams, military and airline personnel.

Chew one tablet each time your plane takes off and each time it lands and one every two hours while flying. Take the tablets separately from meals. It can be taken with other types of medication. No Jet-Lag does NOT counter the effects of alcohol, lack of sleep, or preexisting medical conditions. Passengers should adopt other sensible measures to help arrive at their destination in the best possible shape. Drinking plenty of spring water (free on all flights) and limiting alcohol consumption are always recommended by Doctor Travel. Walking around when possible, stretching, and not overeating will also counter the effects of jet lag.

No Jet-Lag®: 30 Chewable Tablets (Sufficient for 40 hours flying time) $9.95 plus S&H

nojetlaglogo.gif

Are they Cafinated, like the No drowz tablets in 'Beavis and Butthead do America'?

Archived