Post Game Analysis - Guat Vs Canada

brodycheese

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Ed

Well it looked like they were icing his hamstring which is quite a bit north of the calf. He was definitely starting to make the Guatemalan defenders nervous when he went down too. I do think we could have won that game despite the poor start if we had just a few players changed. Serioux should have started on the right somewhere putting DD up front where he can be effective. The other changes are more obvious.

I'd agree. The moves JDG made to get away on the sideline were really impressive. His loss was massive, but even he might not have been enough to compensate for our weaknesses out there.

DD up front would have been good, but I think If Radz plays with Occean they might get some chem, Also, we really missed Hume and his Freekicks, Pesch either under kicked or way over kicked it. and Hume is probably best down the wing. DD, Serioux, De Guz, Hume next game.

Oh and I didn't think DD was that bad in the game, he just wasn't one of our Top 3 players. Id say he was our 4th best, but there was a diffrence between, 3rd and 4th.

quote:Originally posted by kokanne

Jet lag wasn't the biggest problem, in my opinion, Serioux, De Guzman had great games, really too bad De Guzman had to come out. Looked like a Calf Strain to me. But Occean, De Guzman and Serioux had some of the farthest distances to travel and they were our best players, so this jetlag thing shouldn't have been an issue.

Add Jazic to that list. Weren't we discussing how far he had to fly? I thought we was (comparatively) awesome out there.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Add Jazic to that list. Weren't we discussing how far he had to fly? I thought we was (comparatively) awesome out there.

I guess, I didn't really notice Jazic, that much I will re watch to look for him. If you thought he played well, then im assuming he had a decent match, To me the whole Backline looked nervous and tenative and was slow, but that is a generalization, and if 3 people play bad on the back they all look bad.

maybe then for the next match we go with, Stalteri, Imhof, Devos, Jazic. I don't know, Watson just can't be playing at all. Serioux looks like he should steal Imhof's midfield spot which should move Imhof to the backline.

this is my take and rating of individual players in the game out of 10

Occean- his posession ball handling and finishing skills are terrible.He was a very bad outlet for the midfield. If he tried to kick the ball into the ocean, he would miss. 3

Pesch- played like a mouse amoungst cats. 2

Imhof- hides and gives away balls.Take Im of. Bench 2

Serioux- Definite start next game. Well done. Played like he wants to be thier.8

Dero- Played well, but needed to get the ball more often. We play better when Dero gets alot of possession. Forwards gave him no outlets. Next game striker.6

Deguzman- When you play like a kamakozee you get hurt.We need him to be more agressive on the ball and less on the man. Some times he's asking for a card. Still I like him and he plays hard.5

simpson- Bad ball handling, played nervous. Play like a man when you play against men. 2

Watson- Bench.nuff said.

Pizzollito- Bench. nuff said.

Onstad- When my defence is that bad I would be nervous. But Im not a proffesional player.3

Peters- was a spark plug. very good hustling.6

my starting line up for the next game would be.

Radz Dero

Deguzman Serioux Hume Peters

Menezes Mekenna Devos Stalteri

Onstad

a few thoughts:

1. the crowd - this is north america. if you go to a north american sporting event, you get cheesy "let's go ca-na-da" chants for the whole game and need disembodied hands or a noisemeter encouraging fans on the jumbotron. otherwise, they will politely sit on their hands until something good happens...and then cheer. let's face it...not much worth cheering about last night. by all means try and make the crowd loud and european/latino/african sounding, but until football takes it's place in the national psyche in canada - it will be a losing battle. all of that said, i've seen the MNT play in swangard growing up and that was one of the best crowds i've ever seen in terms of support. well done with the singing/flags/banners, etc. criticism of the number of guats there is totally unwarranted (especially from some of the east coast folks - it wasn't too long ago that varsity may as well have been azteca)...any international football match has visiting fans (even if they live in the host country) and adds to the atmosphere...just too bad that 9999 out of 10000 canadians have no idea of any actual football songs.

2. peters - future gem, especially if hume eventually finds his way up front with canada.

serioux - solid, very composed. i might even go and see some millwall games this year based on his performance last night.

3. lineup for honduras:

lars/sutton

jazic devos mckenna brennan

hume serioux jdg DD

occean radz

quote:Originally posted by pablo

this is my take and rating of individual players in the game out of 10

Occean- his posession ball handling and finishing skills are terrible.He was a very bad outlet for the midfield. If he tried to kick the ball into the ocean, he would miss. 3

Pesch- played like a mouse amoungst cats. 2

Imhof- hides and gives away balls.Take Im of. Bench 2

Serioux- Definite start next game. Well done. Played like he wants to be thier.8

Dero- Played well, but needed to get the ball more often. We play better when Dero gets alot of possession. Forwards gave him no outlets. Next game striker.6

Deguzman- When you play like a kamakozee you get hurt.We need him to be more agressive on the ball and less on the man. Some times he's asking for a card. Still I like him and he plays hard.5

simpson- Bad ball handling, played nervous. Play like a man when you play against men. 2

Watson- Bench.nuff said.

Pizzollito- Bench. nuff said.

Onstad- When my defence is that bad I would be nervous. But Im not a proffesional player.3

Peters- was a spark plug. very good hustling.6

my starting line up for the next game would be.

Radz Dero

Deguzman Serioux Hume Peters

Menezes Mekenna Devos Stalteri

Onstad

I kinda like Occean as a target player, hes really big and that was what made him good out there, sure he might not be the greatest passer but he definetely collected the balls, Peters I would have coming off the bench but he would be the first player off the bench. Gives you a spark late in the game, keep Dero on the flank, move him forward if you need to. I actually like your Backline more then mine, but have Imhof and Jazic off the bench. Bircham maybe in that mix because him and Imhof could go into the mid as well if needed.

All in all that starting line up would probably work just as well. I like it.

Lineup for Honduras thoughts:

---------------------------Onstad

Imhof/Serioux---Hutchinson----DeVos----Jazic

Hume-------------------Stalteri----------Brennan

------------------------DeGuzman

-----------------Radzinski-----------DeRosario

or:

----------------------------Onstad

---------------------------Serioux

----------Imhof---------------DeVos----------Jazic

Hume--------------------Stalteri-------------Brennan

--------------------------Deguzman

-----------------Radzinski-----------DeRosario

I'm assuming JDV, DeGuzman and Radzinski are healthy.

We need some speed at the back or else Suazo is going to absolutely murder us. I don't know if Hutchinson is a good CD, but he can't be much worse than what we've used. Plus he or Serioux are both capable of playing the ball out of the back. The Toronto guys are adament that Serioux is not a central defender right? Because that is what I would honestly like to try, but I've seen him play as a sweeper/libero and he looked decent.

cheers,

matthew

Ok my lineups,

Occean, Radz

Hume, De Guzman, Serioux, De Rosario

Menezes/Jazic, Devos, Mckenna/Imhof, Stalteri

anybody but Onstad.

Off the Bench,

Brennan, Bircham, Imhof, Jazic, Simpson, Peters and Pesch

I can't play Serioux as the sweeper he is needed for his throws big time. they create scoring chances out of the blue.

Also base the two slashes on speed and passing ability.

Quite the spleen vent in this forum! Might as well through in a couple of thoughts:

1. Serioux: first time I have seen him and he was impressive. He showed a great motor in the centre of the mid.

2. Pizzo: should be issued a new uniform number, from "2" to "9-1-1"

Originally posted by matthew

Plus he or Serioux are both capable of playing the ball out of the back. The Toronto guys are adament that Serioux is not a central defender right? Because that is what I would honestly like to try.

well, i woke up with a huge smile on my face this morning because canada won! then i realized i had dreamt that.

feck.

well, onstad, watson have to go. pizzolito was far to slow in EVERY SINGLE ASPECT OF THE GAME. simply not national team quality.

stalteri was shocking. absolutely shocking. and i do honestly believe it was jet lag.

the CSA must put in preparation.

onstad will continue as our number 1, he's our fecking captain. feck.

hirsch better get the dundee united spot right quick - we need him.

alright, well, this is the team i want to see and how i want canada to play against honduras.

gk-hirschfeld

df-de vos

df-mckenna

anchor-stalteri (something of the anti-sweeper, play in front of the back 2)

lm-brennan

cm-hutchinson

cm-serioux

am-de guzman

rm-hume

cf-occean

st-radzinski

subs:

gk-sutton/stamatopoulos

df-nsaliwa

df-jazic

mf-imhof

mf-bircham

mf-peters

mf-simpson

fw-de rosario

fw-peschisolido

off the top of my head.

i don't think imhof warrants selection. he shows good loyalty, but absolutely disappears. every game that he's played that i've watched whenever he gets the ball i think "imhof is still playing?" however, he's a great squad player for us.

i don't think i've forgotten anybody. i know i named 9 subs, but for world cup qualifiers you get to name 8 - for the exact reason we needed them last night. de vos got hurt on short notice and we had to call in pizzolito.

if frank wants to attack. let us attack then. get us going with 6-7 attacking players. our opponents won't attack with more than 3-4 at any given time, so 3 at the back, plus a defensive midfielder, and de guzman should be plenty.

i am a firm believer that a 3-5-2 allows for the easiest transition from defense to offence, from attacking formation to a defensive formation, and it allows you to control the midfield at all times. there is always cover. hume and brennan have plenty of fitness to cover the wings, and with a large number of midfielders on the bench you can run your arse off and feel confident in your replacements.

yallop must make changes IMMEDIATELY, and recognize that his buddies watson and onstad are past it.

ps-we should try and callup jonathan de guzman, felix brilliant, and stathios kappos asap.

If you would start Occean over Derosario at striker, you must be out of your mind. Occean could not control any passes he recieved with his back to the net. His pass backs from the throw in was ameature like(he kicked the balls out every time).He gave up on a threw ball from Derosario.(the same kind of pass ruiz scored with)Had 2 chances to finish. Gave no outlets at least not confident ones. I don't know what most of you see in Occean, but I think he's got a lot to work on.He seems very unstable with the ball and doesnt use his size to shield the ball. But I won't cut him out the line up, he's just not nat quality yet.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Some points to consider (and points that others have already made) ...

1. Games out West tire our players. Like someone mentioned in a previous post, the CSA hasn't learned a thing in regards to this issue. Considering the time difference for most, the game should have been played at Richardson Stadium in Kingston or Montreal's CCR (which hasn't seen a game in years) in the late afternoon.

Maybe Winnipeg Soccer Complex or St. John's King George Stadium.

2. Watson should be dropped completely from the squad.

....Ditto

3. Serioux should start the next game, he had a brilliant game.

...Perhaps one of the two bright spots last night

4. Where was Bircham? How come he wasn't called up? He's certainly better then some of the questionable call ups made by Yallop.

...go figure

5. Partial blame has to go on Yallop. With the assembly of such a unproven and untested squad he should of gave the team more prep time. How about a friendly or two versus Central American opposition? How about Cuba? What will it take to bring the Cubans to, let's say St. John's and play a friendly there?

...totatlly agreed

6. Maybe it's time for Onstad to leave as well. He's approaching his 40's and I thought he was to blame on the second goal being well off his line (with two defenders about to completely cover Ruiz)

....Maybe it is just me...we have out of line on both goals IMO and the communication with the back 4 was terrible.

7. Piss Poor Finishing by Canada.

....left to be desired.

My notes:

- Goalkeeping sucked. True that Onstad didn't have much of the play, but I notice he was off his line on both goals and communication with the back 4 was brutal. Time to give Greg Sutton a shot.

- Defenders - Maybe the worst marking I saw in my life. The greasy Guates made monkies out of the back 4. I wasn't impressed with Stalteri, Pizzalito was brutal, Watson is too slow, Jazic was alright and didn't really care for Imoff's play.. Could have use Tony Menezies expierence out there and Devos will be missed if his injury is serious. We can only hope Brennan, McKenna, Nwsawla and Klukowski will be ready for the next game against Hondouras.

Midfeilders - Simpson didn't played well and looked tired. DeGuzman played well but too bad about injury. Both Adrian Seioux and Jamie Peters should plenty of promise. Would like to see Atiba Hutchinson and Maycoll Canizalez in the line up.

Forwards - Pesch played with lots of spirit, but finishing wasn't great. Occean was my man of the match, made some great move, but finishing was left to be desired. Dewayne DeRosario, I must admit, I was hoping this game was his coming out party...with the expection of the nice fake and move on the greasy guatemaln defender in the first half..He didn't show much.

Hume and Rad must be back for Guatemala.

Canadian did not look like a team out there. Frank was out coached by the guy who was beaten with an ugly stick.

If we lose or draw in another home game and don't win at least one or two games on the road...forget about it....

Here's my analysis of the game after watching the game live yesterday and on tape today, and having a chance to calm down (yeah, right). Firstly, we deserved to lose the game for sure, but should've had at least one goal. The ref along with Sportsnet missed a blantant hand ball in the box by a Guatemalen that should've resulted in a penalty. On a Pesch free kick with about 10 minutes left, one of the guys in the wall through his arm way above his head and knocked the ball down with his hand. I had a perfect view of the play from where I was standing in section O.

My section had a Guat presence in the top row with a drummer right above me and my buddies the whole night (ouch!). A lot of them were Canadian as well, and said they were cheering for both teams. I'd say overall on the night about a quarter of the crowd was Guatemalen, but if you heard them cheering more often the reason should be obvious. Canada didn't give us much to cheer about. The atmosphere was great all night and everything was done in good fun. Although, maybe that's because I couldn't understand their Spanish taunts.

So the only downer of the night was Canada's play. So I'll start with the negatives first. The wingers were bad, the midfield was subpar, the forwards didn't create and the defense was terrible. The worst Canadians on the night were Pizzo, Imhoff, Stalteri, Watson, DeRo, Simpson and Pesch. Pizzo and Watson are far too slow of a central pairing and the Guats used the space to good effect on both goals. The CD's either got burned by pace, or just kept backing up into the 18yd box. If DeVos doesn't get healthy quick, or Yallop doesn't try out a different pairing, then expect CR and Honduras to put lots of goals behind Canada.

Stalteri had his worst game in years. Everyone knows he got beat for that first goal, but he also just didn't seem to get into the game like normal. His passing wasn't crisp, and he wasn't hugely effective attacking or defending. Hopefully, this was just an offnight for him.

Imhof, though, looked really bad in the midfield to me. He can pressure guys and tackle good, but the rest of his game isn't up to par for Canada. I wouldn't play this guy in midfield anymore. His ball control, distribution and passing accuracy are not good enough to be in the middle. He consistently gave the ball away with long bomb attempts to the wings. I think we have better guys for his role in Serioux and Hutch, or even Stalteri. I'd rather Imhof play on defense where we need the help.

Our wingers were bad as well, until Peters came in. Simpson has potential, but he is too green to be starting ahead of a guy like Brennan. He ability to get by guys is strong, but he overdoes the 1-on-1 moves. His crossing accuracy was bad, also. He needs to work on his overall game.

DeRo is not a winger. He also dribbles too much into useless positions and his crossing is horrible. This guy needs to play up front to be effective.

Pesch is one guy who shouldn't be starting up front. He really didn't do much last night. He still gets knocked off the ball far too often and he never threatened all game. He should be Canada's supersub running at tired defenders. Canada needs to start 2 of Radz, DeRo and Occean up front.

Now for the positives. Occean was Canada's man of the match. He dominated in the air and his power and hustle is awesome. He was the only Canadian threatening and could've had 2 goals. I'd like to see him paired with Radz against Honduras. He just doesn't dominate against small Central American defenders either. He played as well against Hearts and Millwall earlier.

Serioux, Jazic, and DeGuzman were all solid. If healthy, I'd like to see them all start against Honduras. This is the lineup I'd like to see for Canada. Assuming DeVos is still injured.

Onstad

Stalteri - Imhof - Hutch - Jazic

Hume - DeGuzman - Serioux - Brennan

Radz - Occean

Subs

Hirshfield

Mckenna

Tsaliwa

Simpson

Peters

DeRo

Pesch

SOCCER: CANADA

Road to World Cup rougher; With loss to Guatemala and tough games away from home, things appear bleak

PETER KENNEDY

700 words

20 August 2004

The Globe and Mail

S7

English

All material copyright Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. or its licensors. All rights reserved.

Vancouver BC

Knowing what it takes to reach soccer's highest pinnacle, former Toronto Blizzard defender Bruce Wilson believes Canada will find it tough to qualify for the World Cup in Germany.

A playmaker on the Canadian team that made it to the 1986 World Cup in Mexico, Wilson was among the spectators who watched Canada lose 2-0 to Guatemala in a qualifying game in Burnaby, B.C., on Wednesday.

Losing to Guatemala does not mean Canada is out of the World Cup. It still has five more games to play in a semi-final qualifying round that also features Costa Rica and Honduras, teams that play in the North and Central American and Caribbean zone.

The top two teams will advance to a final qualifying round made up of six teams that will compete next year to be among the three, and perhaps four, that will make it to the World Cup in Germany.

But what he saw from the stands at Swangard Stadium has convinced Wilson that the road to Germany will be a long and challenging one for Canada.

“It's going to be very difficult,'' said Wilson, who at 53 is coaching the University of Victoria varsity soccer team.

Traditionally, Guatemala has been one of the weakest teams in the Central and North American and Caribbean zone, which is usually dominated by Costa Rica.

On Wednesday, Guatemala looked anything but weak.

Roman Maradiaga, the new head coach, has fashioned a skillful and well organized team of players drawn mainly from domestic soccer leagues in Guatemala.

With Gonzalo Romero pulling strings in midfield and Carlos Ruiz getting the goals, Guatemala easily shut down a Canadian team that was weakened by the absence of striker Tomasz Radzinski and defenceman Jason De Vos.

Wilson says the loss of De Vos was a major blow because it left Canada without a target man as it tried to penetrate a resolute Guatemalan defence. “Jason is usually good for a goal or two in corner-kick or free-kick situations,'' he said.

On Wednesday, crosses that were swung in from the left wing by Canadian playmaker Julian de Guzman either flew behind the goal or were intercepted by the Guatemalan defence.

It made for a frustrating evening for Canada, which must regroup before it plays Honduras in Edmonton on Sept. 4.

Mindful that Honduras is likely to be as well prepared as Guatemala, Canadian coach Frank Yallop is expected to try to bring the team together at least a week before the Edmonton game.

The move is in response to the view, held by at least one of his players, that a couple of training sessions wasn't sufficient preparation.

“They [Guatemala] played four or five games in the last six weeks,'' Canadian midfield player Josh Simpson said. “They were a pumped-up team.''

But given that almost half of the Canadian squad is based outside North America, getting everyone together so early may prove difficult.

The fact that De Vos and Radzinski were unavailable on Wednesday is a painful reminder, in Wilson's view, that Canada may be relying too much on players who are based in Europe.

“We are trying to forge a team out of players who are getting together only three or four days before the game,'' he said.

It was a lot different when Wilson was starring for Canada with a roster plucked from North American Soccer League teams, including the Toronto Blizzard and Vancouver Whitecaps.

In 1986, the Canadian team that made it to Mexico could call on players who were virtually household names in the NASL and played together regularly.

These days, Wilson believes Canada suffers from not having a domestic professional league to compare with the old NASL or the U.S.-based Major Soccer League.

The fact that the MSL provides a pool of “ready-to-go international players is a tremendous situation'' for the coaches of the U.S. national team, Wilson said.

“This is a situation that we in Canada should be trying to copy,'' he said.

So what Wilson is saying is that we won't get to the World Cup until we get an MLS team and staff it with the full national side. Problem there is MLS doesn't pay very much and fan support is still an issue in this country. And what about the foreigner quota?

so what if we were to run out a team of our best domestics in the next match:

Onstad,

Watson,

Pizzolito,

hey these are the same guys who buggered it up last game!

So what Wilson is saying is that we won't get to the World Cup until we get an MLS team and staff it with the full national side. Problem there is MLS doesn't pay very much and fan support is still an issue in this country. And what about the foreigner quota?

so what if we were to run out a team of our best domestics in the next match:

Onstad,

Watson,

Pizzolito,

hey these are the same guys who buggered it up last game!

quote:

Now all this crap being put forth by BHTC MIke and Free Kick et all about crowd size is completely retarded. The game sold out. There were hundreds of people watching the game from outside the stadium, all they did was remove some slats from the fencing around the stadium (really easy to do) and watched from outside because they couldn't get in. If we had a 10,000 seat stadium we would have filled it. If Radzinski and the missing players would have been playing we would have filled a Kingston sized stadium.

BHTC mike can go fcuk himself.

Thanks Dick Cheney of the West!

Here's the deal Van Citizens:

After the Canada-Belize series about I read a lot of crap on this board about how the crowd there was somehow disappointing. I've also read piles and piles of crap about how T.O. (or even Montreal sometimes) isn't suited for hosting games because the crowd won't be sufficiently pro-Canadian.

All I've got to say is 6725.

Burn that number into your head. When it came up on the screen I almost fell out of my chair.

Either you don't have the facility or you can't get the crowds. Pick one. The fact that the game was a sellout is inconsequential if the facility is not adequate. I'm sure Canada could sellout Brian Timmins but you don't see me suggesting that as a venue.

Canada is a huge country. All parts of it deserve to see their team play. Why we're making out boys cross an ocean AND A CONTINENT and make them kick off at 3am (their time) I can't understand though. WHY WERE DOING IT TWICE IS INSANITY!

Listen, I had to make a 7 hour round trip to get to Kingston because the CSA imagines that T.O. is hostile to Canada. I happily made that trip because it was the first time the MNT had played in this part of the world in forever. Then I got on these boards and read about the turnout being dissappointing.

I say again:

6725. Lots of happy Gautemalens.

Would it be any different in any other part of the country?

I'm sure the V's who showed up did a great time trying to lift the crowd. Your not the problem and I have nothing to say against anyone who went to the game and supported the team (even the causal fans)... I would have done exactly the same thing.

What I am saying is that anyone who ever tries to argue again that Vancouver is inherently better suited to hosting MNT games -especially with only Swanguard to play in - than anywhere else in the country has completely lost any credibility. Put games in Halifax, St. Johns, Montreal, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto, Winnipeg, even Vancouver or Vicotria when it's their turn. Just don't try to tell me anymore that Vancouver has some special right to games.

Mike.

Dude, I know you don't want to listen but I'll repeat it again. 6,725 was a sellout. There were hundreds outside the stadium that ripped apart parts of the fence to watch the game. Really I don't know what you want us to do about that. A full house is a full house.

After the second game in Kingston the only negative comments on this board were that the stadium didn't have a large crowd for that game. After a 4-0 victory days before you'd have thought that they would have filled the place. There were no other negative comments. If you want to go back and find the thread you'll see that I and others praised the Voyageurs/Ultras group that was there.

quote:Listen, I had to make a 7 hour round trip to get to Kingston because the CSA imagines that T.O. is hostile to Canada.

Horsecrap. There is nowhere to play in Toronto, that is why the game was held in Kingston, not because the CSA thinks T.O is hostile to Canada. Geez isn't the CSA bending over backwards to help you guys get a stadium, I don't see them doing that if they think that T.O is hostile to Canada. Also nobody has ever said that Vancouver would be pro-Canadian only, thats a huge misconception. Anyone who's ever attended a WCQ here knows that.

Vancouver deserved a game. If you have any sort of memory you'll know that the last WCQ against Mexico that was originally supposed to be scheduled for Swangard was moved to Toronto, back when you guys actually had a stadium to play in.

Worst thing here is that you guys with the negative comments were just waiting for the game to happen to complain, and hoping for the worst. Attendance wise, sorry you are out on that, it's not Vancouver's fault that they didn't add extra bleachers, support wise, nope once again us at the game did our job. We can't forcibly stop Guatemalans from attending, sorry we weren't playing Belize then we could have had Canadian supporters only. As for the teams performance, well we couldn't do anything about that, just as we couldn't force Radzinski to have any pride in his country and not fake an injury so he could stay away.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

just as we couldn't force Radzinski to have any pride in his country and not fake an injury so he could stay away.

How do you know that K-head? Were you at the match? Were you in the trainer's room?

Archived