Post Game Analysis - Guat Vs Canada

brodycheese

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

And Radz, if you dare play this weekend for Fulham, please-don't come back. Ever.

I was thinking the same thing. If he plays this weekend, Yallop should just not call him up for Honduras. It sets a bad example to younger players.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

And Radz, if you dare play this weekend for Fulham, please-don't come back. Ever.

I was thinking the same thing. If he plays this weekend, Yallop should just not call him up for Honduras. It sets a bad example to younger players.

I was actually there, and from my point of view Ive got something to say.

First, The stadium looked to me like a sellout, it can only hold about 6200, maybe 6800. but it was full, none of that if a city can't get 7000 or more crap. Its about having stadiums that can hold the games with a quality pitch. Next we need to sort out some sort of system that doesn't allow foreigners to get tickets thru ticket master. Some sort of system is needed badly. I still felt by and large the Canadian fans were loud, I was screaming the whole game how about you.

Second, The security at swanguard was brutal, My buddies and I in section E were yelling screaming for canada. The security asked us to sit down and basically was gonna kick us out if we didn't, even tho we had only the entrance behind us. But some Guat was standing in that area the whole game and they did nothing about it. They figured we were gonna fight him or something. Poor judgement on the security part. They need to be fired really badly, we were very considerate of other people and the security.

Third, oh man in the first half Guzman and Occean were are best players, Everyone else was crap and not just crap but very crap. In the second half Peters and Serioux were very very good, Serioux showed his throw basically only once but he was good in the mid won the ball lots and took control. Peters had very good moves and beat his man everytime, he created a bunch of chances just by getting past his man.

Fourth, Yallop time to get rid of Watson, he is very slow, and that second goal was all his fault. there is no reason a guy 5 meters behind you should get past you to get the ball, that was bad defense not bad but brutal. Devos looked to be really missed. We need speed on the back and lots of it. You can't push foward with out some guys to keep up with the other teams forwards on the counter.

Fifth, Guatemala are freakin pussies, they dive they scream bloody murder, did any body see the stretcher come on, and then the official allow the player to stay on the field and send the stretcher off, what kind of officiating is that. Or how about Simpsons Yellow, that was a open ball, what about the guy doing the flip trying to get the ball and then us getting called. Officials need to prove their worth to be calling games like this, none of that one sided crap.

I believe in Yallop, and I think he will realize that the defense needs to have quickness and speed.

I came back form the game and to comment on the fans we sat in full view of the camera in section M at swangard we had to deal with not only the security but the RCMP because we the Canadian fans were standin the whole match in a section we dominated ! we chanted ! We cursed ! we gave the ref hell ! but all in all the boys let us down we need more time to gel as a squad the Guats looked better prepared and made a meal of a couple of our defenders .... but as you all saw our midfielders were never in the game and it will take a Canadian team that is playing on the same page to be victorious in the future !

In closing the stadium was electric and Canada fans out chanted our Guat friends ! too bad that Imigration Canada was not out .....

Cheers

Footy

quote:Originally posted by Footy

I came back form the game and to comment on the fans we sat in full view of the camera in section M at swangard we had to deal with not only the security but the RCMP because we the Canadian fans were standin the whole match in a section we dominated ! we chanted ! We cursed ! we gave the ref hell ! but all in all the boys let us down we need more time to gel as a squad the Guats looked better prepared and made a meal of a couple of our defenders .... but as you all saw our midfielders were never in the game and it will take a Canadian team that is playing on the same page to be victorious in the future !

In closing the stadium was electric and Canada fans out chanted our Guat friends ! too bad that Imigration Canada was not out .....

Cheers

Footy

Perhaps it was Sportsnet's audio mix that made it appear the fans were quiet then. A very good possibility

Not unexpected. You can't play a pick-up team that has never played together (half the players have not played together) and expect them to play against any team, much less a half-decent (and that's all they were) team like Guate.

We will not achieve anything significant if we don't start getting oraganized from Association to team. Our next coach will have to play hardball and insist on full participation from all players, and that all players attend the full practices. We are entitled to have players attend from Europe for a full five days before a competitive international, and we should insist on that (no Saturday games). The African teams do it, the South Americans do it, even the dam Aussies do it. When you are playing WCQ, everything else should pale in comparison. We are not playing development here- that's why we got rid of Holger.

We are now up against the wall. We need at least ten points to advance. That means winning our next two home matches, and winning and tying away out of three matches.

Advancing to the hex is a minumum for Yallop. That means playing hardball with his players and the club, ditching Onstad (he was at fault for the goals by his poor positioning even if our defence stunk), calling up Hirschfeld, and ditching Watson (if I hear Forrest say he played good one more time, I'm going to puke). If a player like Radz calls in sick with a "calf strain", the Australians make him fly in for a medical here to prove it. We should do the same. Yallop has treated this as a bloody 1walk in the park, and if he can't make the hex, he does not deserve to continue.

DD and Imhoff were actually pretty good tonight. Canada generally played poorly, lacked focus and were clearly unprepared generally. Both Centre backs were overmatched. Simpson was ineffective. He has much yet to learn, and while I am sure that experiences like this will help him get there, we missed Brennan. Pesch also had a rough game, and young Peters probably looked better on TV than he played from the reviews I've read here. He has some skills and will be a good one, but he is still 17 and it showed tonight.

There were several occasions where players gave up on balls that were not going to go out. They were out of synch, undoubtedly due to 7 new guys joining the lineup. While there was nothiing Yallop could do about DeVos and McKenna getting injure, and Reda as well, he really has to address this issue "stat". I can't believe that Hutchinson couldn't do better than both Watson and Pizzolito.

Well, I 'll have more to say tommorow when I am back. Guatamala didn't look good enought o beat us 2-0, which says how bad we looked. I think that we can still pull this out, but we absolutely need all 3 in Edmonton.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Our next coach will have to play hardball and insist on full participation from all players, and that all players attend the full practices.

That's one step away from referring to Frank in the past-tense. A bit hasty, don't cha think?

This is bad - true enough. But it's not the end. Hopefully.

Guest Georgio

Imhof was in the center mid in the first half and second half with two different partners and was the worse of the two in each half. First half Deguzman was better and the second half Serioux was better. So basically Imhoff was our worst center mid in the game. And don't tell me he was doing all kinds of running and stuff on the field that I couldn't see. Because we didn't shut them down at all in the first half, they won all the 50/50's and we backed off in the center mid. The only positive was when Deguzman got some fire in his belly and started challenging. And then he started being effective offensively too around the same time and then hurts his hammy shortly thereafter. Hutch would have been better then Imhoff because Imhoff is always invisible. It's funny and I have to laugh because every match I see him play he pops up somewhere with the camera getting a shot of his face and I then immediately think "wholly crap he's still on the field??"

Here's a question. Who plays in midfield against Hondurus? Arguably, and somewhat worryingly, our two most impressive players thus far in qualifying both play the same role, defensive midfield. The players I'm talking about are Bircham and Serioux. You can put them both in mid, but by doing so you risk negleting your creative output.

My early position is to put Occean and Radz up front, keep DeRo on the right flank (I'm sorry, Peters, while impressive, has not earned a starting position yet, especially at the expense of DeRo), and team Serioux with DeGuz in the middle with Brennan taking over the left flank. Any thoughts?

Joe 5

quote:Perhaps it was Sportsnet's audio mix that made it appear the fans were quiet then. A very good possibility

I would not be suprised the Security and the RCMP tried to get all the fans in section M to sit down for what ever reason ! F-en morons dont know what true support is all about ! The Guats were dam lucky the got the W tonight !

It could be that it was not proper TV for the folks in Menuedo land as we were right in camera shot!

I assume Sportsnet sold the rights to GUAT tv as well to make some $$$

From watching the game on TV in my opinion Guatemala was not that good, we were just that bad. Ocean seemed to be the only one putting some effort out there. Why do we need to be 2 goals down to begin showing some courage. Very poorly prepared and out of shape individualy and as a team. With great respect to Yallop, he seems to be in la la land. Different players but the same crap from Holger's time. 97th place? we deserve it. The referee and assistants were brutal, do I detect some biased loyalties from the officials from El Salvador towards the Guatecos? Wasted a good pizza and beer.

Like I said earlier if moving the games out of here gets results then I am all for it. I know this opens another can of worms, about a National Soccer Stadium etc., but the stadium here stinks. Poor seating (some people are sitting 30 metres behind the goal-you do not see it on T.V. (not kidding), poor parking, poor facilities (try getting a drink etc.- not practical in 50% of the stadium. If you are in the lucky other 50% a conversation would be like this: "I'm going to get us some drinks and something to eat" "OK, see you in 25 minutes". I know tons more people that would go if it was "half-decent" But the fact is that they fill the seats. It is a joke that a city like Vancouver has an outdoor "stadium" with half the seating of Regina, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Hamilton etc..

Nothing against those places, but Vancouver is supposed to be world class with a s*itty stadium like that??? I envy those cities stadiums actually. Great decision in hauling down Empire and not replacing it. Sorry Toronto, but you have venues already, a REAL stadium needs to be put here. As for only drawing 7,000, that is beyond capacity. Most of the seats are temporary and s*itty. Also ask yourself what most are going to pay for a DECENT seat. Is this worth $42.00 plus taxes etc. to MOST people. They have $15.00 tickets in the 30 metres from the field zone but most people who don't know that never sit there again (you are better off watching on T.V.) They are $15.00 for a reason. Even at that they are getting ripped off.

I see that the Edmonton tickets are from $20.50-$41.75. No problem. I have been to Commonwealth-good seats. I would pay more than that for a good seat and facilities. Bottom line people in Vancouver would pay more and go more for a decent seat in a decent stadium.

Bottom Line-7000 people in Vancouver is a joke. Swangard is a joke.

As for the foreigners getting tickets that will happen anywhere. Let's face it our media doesn't give it coverage, so people are like: "Oh there is a game next week? Really?" Meanwhile the Guatemalans not only know about it but already have choice tix. How many Costa Ricans do you think ALREADY have tickets to the next game in Vancouver in October? They are on sale now but I bet most Canadians will not buy until the weeks or days before.

In my opinion, De Guzman, Serioux, Hume should be are midfielders with De Rosario. Simpson should be a Sub, there is so much creativity in that group that you should not have any issues, Serioux would be the Holding mid fielder. He showed a fair amount of Creativity at times, but his asset was that he works hard and wins balls in the air and on the ground. Peters might be someone to replace Pesch. Occean should play because he was very strong in the Air and on the ground and man can he collect the long ball. Pesch was very weak.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Here's a question. Who plays in midfield against Hondurus? Arguably, and somewhat worryingly, our two most impressive players thus far in qualifying both play the same role, defensive midfield. The players I'm talking about are Bircham and Serioux. You can put them both in mid, but by doing so you risk negleting your creative output.

My early position is to put Occean and Radz up front, keep DeRo on the right flank (I'm sorry, Peters, while impressive, has not earned a starting position yet, especially at the expense of DeRo), and team Serioux with DeGuz in the middle with Brennan taking over the left flank. Any thoughts?

I like the idea of Brennan with Serioux and JDG, but I'd put Stalteri in right mid and get Nsaliwa and/or Kappos to cover us in the back right position. I think the mid is where Stalteri wants to play anyways. I have a feeling we might be having Occean and DeRo up front. Seems to me there's likely more calf-strains upcoming.

Good point, I forgot about Hume. One thing about Iain, if we're gonna play through the flanks like we did tonight, there's no other man I'd want out there but him. Anyone who was in Boston knows why.

The kid can cross the ball like some sort of pocessed freak.

Whatever happened to the days when DeRo was supposed to be our super-sub-in-waiting? It seems Canadian fans suffer from a case of short memory. It wasn't that long ago - Gold Cup in Miami I believe - that we were all settled on the idea of DeRo being the man to come in and steal games for us. The reason I say this is because in light of our depressing depth at striker today, the idea of having both DeRo and Pesch prepared to come in and provide some late game thunder seems very appealing. Certainly a refreshing contrast to what happened tonight at least.

With that kind of support coming off the bench, I'd be willing to take a risk on a Radz-Occean pairing.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

Good point, I forgot about Hume. One thing about Iain, if we're gonna play through the flanks like we did tonight, there's no other man I'd want out there but him. Anyone who was in Boston knows why.

The kid can cross the ball like some sort of pocessed freak.

Forgot about Hume as well. Don't mind him on the right. ****, it might be time for Frank to ditch his 4-4-2 and maybe put five in the midfield.

Bircham, I don't know how he gets involved in this discussion he didn't even play. What we need is height, IE Occean being really tall Serioux being fairly tall, and speed.

If we need any help its not in the Midfield its on the Backline. Imhof should be playing on the backline and not in the middle. The backline should be Stalteri, Devos, Imhof and Pezzolito. With that being the organization.

Midfield I thought was a strength in the game, thats where all our performances came besides Occean up front. Serioux would be the holding mid with De Guzman also in the centre, Hume and De Rosario on the flanks.

Occean was really impressive, I think if Radz actually plays again Occean should be in there his height, strength and speed was evident. He also is really good at holding up a receiving the long ball and then moving it forward.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I thought the Guatemalan team were crap and we just out-crapped them. Stalteri was incredibly rusty tonight that I was surprised that he wasn't taken off at the half but perhaps the De Guzman injury prevented that.

Watson wasn't up to par but no surprise there.

Glad to see that calling up Biello was so effective. We are down two goals with an extra sub still to use, and we can't bring on another attacking player because Radz was replaced by Biello who likely wouldn't have been effective while Ali Gerba is tearing up the A-league even with a sub-par team with 15 bloody goals but the f'n CSA still won't call him up under any circumstances.

To my eyes every European-based player looked tired tonight except perhaps Serioux (who would be in the best shape of all of them thanks to having played regularly since April), which I suspect is due to jet-lag and/or pre-season. That includes Simpson, who obviously never would have been signed by Millwall if he had played against them like he played tonight. Tell me again why we played the Belize matches in Kingston when all of our players were in NA and this match in Vancouver and not vice versa?

A terrible, terrible time to combine two squads together for the first time. And you can't say we didn't warn against this happening, because we did!

Ali Gerba, don't know the lad. What is the reason the CSA will not call him up under any circumstances?

Archived