Post Game Analysis - Guat Vs Canada

brodycheese

I don't even know where to begin.

Yallop: I guess he's going to have to learn that playing people on merit means everyone. Watson has not played up to the level needed in a long time, and he was absolutely burned all evening. His partner (Pizzo? or Gervais?) was also out of his element. Also wtf is Yallop thinking when playing Ruiz with that backline? Obviously this guy is dangerous and I have to wonder why was he not marked or better prepared for? Simpson (although I'm a big fan) was subpar, even in the practises from the earlier reports yet he played him. Also Pesch is a great guy, but Derosario should've been up front and Deguzman on the flanks with Hutch and Serioux in the middle. I think he's going to have to completely rethink his approach to opposition, our team was NOT prepared (partially due to this being the first game in a longest time vs Guat preparation).

The Good: Peters, Serioux, Occean (when not missing the open net).

The Bad: The entire back line, Watson your time is up bud.

All around a poor game. Our chances are not over yet, since I think that honestly this Guat team could beat Costa or Honduras, they were very impressive

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the Guatemalan team were crap and we just out-crapped them. Stalteri was incredibly rusty tonight that I was surprised that he wasn't taken off at the half but perhaps the De Guzman injury prevented that.

Watson wasn't up to par but no surprise there.

Glad to see that calling up Biello was so effective. We are down two goals with an extra sub still to use, and we can't bring on another attacking player because Radz was replaced by Biello who likely wouldn't have been effective while Ali Gerba is tearing up the A-league even with a sub-par team with 15 bloody goals but the f'n CSA still won't call him up under any circumstances.

To my eyes every European-based player looked tired tonight except perhaps Serioux (who would be in the best shape of all of them thanks to having played regularly since April), which I suspect is due to jet-lag and/or pre-season. That includes Simpson, who obviously never would have been signed by Millwall if he had played against them like he played tonight. Tell me again why we played the Belize matches in Kingston when all of our players were in NA and this match in Vancouver and not vice versa?

A terrible, terrible time to combine two squads together for the first time. And you can't say we didn't warn against this happening, because we did!

It is like you are reading my mind. I guess we WERE all watching the same game and saw the same things. Not to jump all over the guys but I have to add one thing to your comments. Not only was the back line poor in their defending/man marking but they were pitiful moving the ball forward. Very predictable out to the sidelines or SORT OF clearing it to midfield. Other sides will take advantage of this and punish us. Also poor positional goalkeeping from Onstad. The good news I hope is that they got the bad game out of their system and that the back line will mostly be replaced based on this performance.

I thought the crowd looked mostly pro-Canadian, keep in mind that only the Guatemalans had anything to cheer about & the camera would pan to them when they cheered.

The make-up of the crowd wasn't a problem for me, though I'm willing to defer to someone who was actually there. I'm not opposed to playing in Vancouver in principle but I think the Belize matches should have been played there. I am scratching my head trying to figure out the last time we won a bloody qualifier in Swangard - 1996? I guess the good news is we are overdue for a win in that stadium!

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I thought the crowd looked mostly pro-Canadian, keep in mind that only the Guatemalans had anything to cheer about & the camera would pan to them when they cheered.

The make-up of the crowd wasn't a problem for me, though I'm willing to defer to someone who was actually there. I'm not opposed to playing in Vancouver in principle but I think the Belize matches should have been played there. I am scratching my head trying to figure out the last time we won a bloody qualifier in Swangard - 1996? I guess the good news is we are overdue for a win in that stadium!

I guess that's true, GL. It could have sounded louder at the stadium than it appeared on TV as well. And there wasn't a whole lot to get loud about froma Canadian perspective either.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I guess that's true, GL. It could have sounded louder at the stadium than it appeared on TV as well. And there wasn't a whole lot to get loud about froma Canadian perspective either.

Watching the game? I don't know the attendance, but if moving the games out of here is the answer I am all for it. Was the result going to be different in Toronto? Was Radz and Devos going to play then? Or maybe the back line would have pushed the ball forward with authority? Or perhaps Onstad wouldn't have been flat footed and in no man's land on the second goal? If the result would be different or if they played the games harder then move the games out of here!!

Watching the game? I don't know the attendance, but if moving the games out of here is the answer I am all for it. Was the result going to be different in Toronto? Was Radz and Devos going to play then? Or maybe the back line would have pushed the ball forward with authority? Or perhaps Onstad wouldn't have been flat footed and in no man's land on the second goal? If the result would be different or if they played the games harder then move the games out of here!!

quote:Originally posted by Have Flag-will travel

MAybe the team wouldn't have looked so exhausted if they didn't have to cross the extra time zones to get to BC

quote:Originally posted by Have Flag-will travel

MAybe the team wouldn't have looked so exhausted if they didn't have to cross the extra time zones to get to BC

I agree, from the broadcast, most of the stadium seemed red and white, just the other guys had more to cheer about. Look, I'm from the west yet I see the logic of playing a midweek, non-FIFA-international-break fixture in the eastern part of the country. Cut three hours off our travel add an hour or two to theirs. The Edmonton game shouldn't hold the same jet-lag excuse because it is a FIFA sanctioned international break, meaning more time for preparation.

One question I have is why Hutch was good enough to start when a much more experienced lineup was available, yet with this group he didn't even see the field?

I'm befuddled.

I agree, from the broadcast, most of the stadium seemed red and white, just the other guys had more to cheer about. Look, I'm from the west yet I see the logic of playing a midweek, non-FIFA-international-break fixture in the eastern part of the country. Cut three hours off our travel add an hour or two to theirs. The Edmonton game shouldn't hold the same jet-lag excuse because it is a FIFA sanctioned international break, meaning more time for preparation.

One question I have is why Hutch was good enough to start when a much more experienced lineup was available, yet with this group he didn't even see the field?

I'm befuddled.

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

F'me what the crowd was like!!! If you can't get more than 7000 in the heart of metro Van. then you never deserve another qualifier. Put them in Peterborough and you'd get more people - and less of them cheering for THE ENEMY!!!!!

The stadium doesn't hold 7,000. The game was a sellout.

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

F'me what the crowd was like!!! If you can't get more than 7000 in the heart of metro Van. then you never deserve another qualifier. Put them in Peterborough and you'd get more people - and less of them cheering for THE ENEMY!!!!!

The stadium doesn't hold 7,000. The game was a sellout.

as I stated in another thread, lets not use the city or attendance or number of Guatemalan fans as any kind of an excuse whatsoever, we played like crap, they came in well prepared and bitch-slapped us in our own backyard.....simple as that, we would of got beat whether this game was played in Montreal, toronot, edmonton or vancouver....At this point the CSA should be paying a lot more attention as to how to put together and prepare a good team then where the game is actually played

as I stated in another thread, lets not use the city or attendance or number of Guatemalan fans as any kind of an excuse whatsoever, we played like crap, they came in well prepared and bitch-slapped us in our own backyard.....simple as that, we would of got beat whether this game was played in Montreal, toronot, edmonton or vancouver....At this point the CSA should be paying a lot more attention as to how to put together and prepare a good team then where the game is actually played

Archived