left/right backs

Chuck

I think that I might have only seen one foray, by Stalteri, up the wing to attempt a deep offensive cross by the Canadian left and right backs. Jazic did squat.

The good offensive countries use at least one of them on a consistent basis to add to their firepower (R. Carlos, P. Ferreira/Miguel, Neville, etc).

Of course we do not have the talent to match those players, but has there ever been a consistent offensive threat by a Canadian left or right back? Do we lack the overlapping runs required? Is this strictly a Canadian coaching thing or a lack of talent problem?

The two outside fullbacks had to cover for a kid who very much looked fresh out of PDL on the left wing, and a totally misused DD on the right wing. Not to mention two fire hydrants in central defence. I think those players you mention in your post have a supporting cast with a bit more talent than what Stalteri and Jazic had tonight.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

The two outside fullbacks had to cover for a kid who very much looked fresh out of PDL on the left wing, and a totally misused DD on the right wing. Not to mention two fire hydrants in central defence. I think those players you mention in your post have a supporting cast with a bit more talent than what Stalteri and Jazic had tonight.

I agree totally, Stalteri did not play well and did look out of step. Jazic I thought did his job. No real danger came from Guatamala right side (no crosses or shots) But the lack of proper midfield support contributed to this.

Archived