Goalie prospects to keep up with forwards

Chuck

It looks like Craig Forrest came around too early (or too late for '86). I feel that we (Canada) wasted his enormous talent in the net when he was our only superstar. Now we have all these young hotshots playing in Europe at mid-level teams and some veterans at elite teams. How good would Canada look now if we had Forrest at his prime?

I'm curious to know if we have some young "starlet" keeper(s) who might possibly make it big in Europe soon to go along with all the young forwards Canada now seems to be producing? As they say in many sports, "defense wins games".

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Get Sutton in Europe!!!

He's got a very similar style to Forrest's (big man, great shotstopper and under every cross).

Sutton should be in Europe next year, a good place to try would be Odd Greenland where they have a goalkeeping crisis at the moment. Just look at their score 3-5, 3-4, 2-5 and their fans said so on their english forum.

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

if your gonan get him to a team get him to a half decent team where he can develope !!!!

Agreed. Granted, he is a keeper and for keepers, playing time is more important than anything. But would it be so unrealistic, given his a-league stats, to expect a better professional situation than Odd. No knocking Odd grenland or anything.

Daniel Fernendes, Kennh Stamatopolus, Tom Lindley, the your guy at Portsmouth - Bergovic????, Simon Rayner are all young keeers in Europe. In addition to Sutton, a couple of young guys in North America are Alim Karim (U-20) and Waagner (can't recall his full name)

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Daniel Fernendes, Kennh Stamatopolus, Tom Lindley, the your guy at Portsmouth - Bergovic????, Simon Rayner are all young keeers in Europe. In addition to Sutton, a couple of young guys in North America are Alim Karim (U-20) and Waagner (can't recall his full name)

After watching the Impact game on the weekend in Quebec City, I would say that one of the best NA prospect is Olivieri, very confident goalie and I saw why he was named best GK of the Olympic Qualifying tournament(there's an interesting interview with him on www.canadian-soccer.com). Technically he's one of the best I,ve seen for a long time, only weakness might be his height (something like 5'9 or 5'10).

All the other names you gave are also very good young prospects, I remember that Lindley seemed to be highly rated by S.U. youth coaches.

I think that in 4 years someone among those young guys or Lars or Sutton could become the next Forrest. I think that it is safe to say that the future looks bright for our goalkeeping.

Archived