Canada gets Serioux for world qualifier

Massive Attack

Canada gets Serioux for world qualifier

Ex-Lynx called up for Guatemala clash

Cap follows move to English league

MICHAEL CLARKSON

SPORTS REPORTER

Adrian Serioux has been practising his autograph since he was in Grade 4, believing he would one day be a soccer star.

Until now, despite six seasons with the Toronto Lynx of the A-League, few people have paid much attention to the 25-year-old Scarborough native.

But within the span of four days, Serioux has captured international attention with his aggressive defensive play and his mammoth throw-ins of up to 50 yards.

His sudden star turn began after being purchased by Millwall of the English First Division from the Lynx. The defender was named man of the match in his first game Saturday as the London club defeated Leicester City 2-0.

"You Cannot Be Serioux!" said one headline after he hurled several throws from the sidelines deep into the Leicester defence in what has become his specialty.

"He should be at the Olympics. I don't think I've ever seen a throw like it — and it's effortless," Millwall assistant manager Ray Wilkins told the South London Press.

It gets better for Serioux.

The national team has called him up for his international debut tonight (10 p.m., Sportsnet) in a World Cup qualifier against Guatemala at Vancouver.

"This is a wonderful, wonderful opportunity for Adrian," said his mother, Janet, a native of Trinidad and Tobago and a Montessori schoolteacher in Scarborough.

"He's waited for this so long. It's a dream come true. He was getting a little concerned at the end of last season that he would make it."

It's been an emotional time for the family. Adrian's father, Keith, an assembly line worker at A.G. Simpson in Oshawa, died of cancer last year at age 59.

His father and older brother, Marcos, had introduced Adrian to soccer as a boy at the Malvern Soccer Club. Along the way, he developed his two trademarks: dreadlocks and his extra-long throw-in.

"I don't know where I learned to throw," Serioux said recently. "I just started experimenting and it went farther and farther. Now I can throw it longer than some people can kick. ... It is a secret weapon that hopefully we can use to our advantage. We have used it in every team I have played for and it works well."

Of his Millwall debut, Serioux said, "This was a beautiful experience and to play here is a dream."

Earlier this year, the 6-foot, 180-pound Serioux caught the eye of Canada's new coach, Frank Yallop, and he was invited to the national team's developmental camp in Vancouver.

``I saw him a few months ago when the Lynx played in Vancouver and I really like him,'' said Yallop, who will not start Serioux tonight, but may use him as a reserve. ``There are a lot of very good players in the A-League, who don't get exposure, but once they get into an international environment, they can flourish.''

Serioux played well as Canada's second team beat Millwall 1-0 in a friendly match this summer, leading to a trial with the English club.

"Some of his coaches (through the years) often wondered why he's never had chance to play for Canada," his mother said.

"But, gosh, he's determined and stubborn like me," said Janet, who went back to school in her 40s to get a diploma in child and youth work.

Lynx coach Duncan Wilde says it's bittersweet to lose Serioux during the season.

"On one hand, it's a great opportunity for Adrian and we wish him the best of luck, but on the other, the Lynx have lost one of the best players in the A-League.''

Tonight, Serioux joins four other former Lynx stars with the Canadian team — striker Dwayne DeRosario, midfielder Paul Stalteri, goalkeeper Pat Onstad and midfielder Atiba Hutchinson.

Canada, ranked 96th in the world, is in a CONCACAF semifinal qualifying group with No. 28 Costa Rica, No. 59 Honduras and No. 79 Guatemala.

The four will play home-and-away matches with each other, with the top two in the group moving to the final six-team qualifying round.

With files from Star wires

http://www.thestar.com

Archived