National Youth Team

Observer

I was recently chatting with a parent who's son is in one of the European Clubs youth set up. We got into a discussion on the National Youth Team and something he said struck me the wrong way.

He said the Canadian Team coach was in contact, but he (the father) did not think it was necessary for his son to play for Canada. He views the Canadian Youth set up as simply providing exposure for young players. Since his son is now with a club it is not necessary for him to now play for Canada. He went on to state that he would think most parents have a similar outlook.

Maybe it is me in an Olympic year, but is there no pride in representing your country anymore.:(

I am not entirely surprised to hear that. It must require really good sales skills to be a coach for a canadian national youth team. We all want to beleive that its all about representing the nation and the flag and there is nothing wrong with holding on to that belief since it is what draws us to international soccer. But for many kids and parents its has to be about a career opportunity and securing a livelyhood. You get paid the mucho denaros by your clubs and the national teams serve as a good mean to an end in that they boost your profile and make you attractive to the clubs. I am not denying that once athletes put on the red uniforms, they do feel a sence of pride. But even if you put yourself in their shoes, you have to look out for yourself first. If everything was about representing the nation all the time, then we would all join the military wouldn't we? intead of bothering with university and so forth.

What utter garbage.

Let's ask Devos, DeGuzman, Nsaliwa, Stalteri, etc. (my apologies to those I have not named) who come back to play while hurt for the pride of playing for their country.

One of my passions is following up and coming young Canadians oversees in the hopes of seeing them in red and white in the future. I hope this father gets his wish.

I understand where this father might be coming from but I don't agree with his view that it's not necessary to play for your country. I mean the bottom-line is, you can't force someone to play for you when they don't wanna make that commitment to the national programme.

However, donning your national colours is something more about pride than anything.

I can understand that the kid might be pre-occupied by impressing his club and all that but at the same time, it's all about striking a balance. Just ask all the players who are willing to represent our country in all levels.

I don't know if his son thinks the same way but whoever that doesn't think representing his/her country is important shouldn't be bothered to be considered, nor selected.

At 15-17 it might be really risky (but I would think a club encourages players at 15-17 to do this kind of thing - because their focus at that point is development, not winning). However, once the player is 18-20+, he should be able to make his own decisions with regards to his club.

Archived