Jump to content



Recommended Posts

From: http://www.victoriaunited.com/news/2004/08_15_01.html


Victoria United defeats Fraser Valley 4 - 1 in Kennedy Cup Final

August 15, 2004

In a fast-paced game, far closer than the final scoreline would suggest, Victoria United downed the PCSL second place Fraser Valley Action 4 - 1 at Royal Athletic Park in the John F. Kennedy Cup final.

The tension was evident on and off the pitch from the beginning of this final. The first caution of the match came in only the 13th minute when Victoria Ben Hooker was shown yellow for one of his trademark hard tackles that arrived a second too late. A few minnutes later after too many comments from both benches the referee finally came to the sideline and had a few choice words for Victoria Coach Dante Zanetta.

The competitive edge remained but the tone settled down somewhat after this although Hooker took another knock to the head in the 29th minute. Concern for Hooker was deemed enough for his replacement on the pitch by U-21 team player Steve Gately. The young Gately made a seamless transition allowing Fraser Valley no respite from Hooker's aggresive play.

United enjoyed a slight advantage in possession and made several penetrating runs at the Fraser Valley defence but Jacob Hanson in net for the visitors made some quick decisions and held on solidly until extra time in the first half. Charging in at the near post Steve Williams opened the scoring for United with a furious leaping header from barely three yards out(1-0, 45').

In the second half the tension began to show and it was the visitors cautioned as Fraser Valley's Nathan Square-Briggs was shown yellow for a late challenge from behind just ten yards outside the box. Victoria punished the infraction in their own way as Patrick Gawrys ran onto the resulting free kick blasting it in from short range (2-0, 61').

Fraser Valley showed how they earned a berth in the final by coming back right away. Mark Heinhuis got his head to the ball beating Rowan Anders at the far post from a great balll in by Justin Cordick (2-1, 64'). Anders made a big save just four minutes later as he was just able to tip the ball over the bar from a cracker of a shot from Fraser Valley's Joe Marillo.

With Fraser Valley throwing everything forward and United determined to continue to play their offensive-minded style the action was end to end for the final twenty minutes. It was Fraser Valley who got caught out however as Gawrys beat the keeper near the top of the box and gave an unselfish gentle touch to place it at the foot of onrushing substitute Dean Anderson who blasted it into the back of the net (3-1, 83'). In injury time Gately showed his skill as he made a run around Hanson to earn himself a tap-in and end the game on a scoreline that Fraser Valley Action may feel did not reflect the play on the pitch.

United had been presented the Cambridge Trophy as League Champions before the game and were now presented a rare double in the John F. Kennedy Cup. Next weekend United travel to Burnaby on Sunday to play either Richmond or Okanagan Challenge in the final of the Anderson Cup (the PCSL league cup) where they have a chance to win a never beforfe achieved triple crown.

Tournament Individual Awards

Goalkeeper of the Tournament: Rowan Anders

Tournament MVP: Nando Dunic (playing his last home game in a United Jersey)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

Will Anders and your other US college players be with the team next weekend? Most college teams are opening their pre-season camps in this week.

We have already lost players to the college teams. I was actually surprised to see Anders play. Although I do not know the whole story on his situation in the past several of our players have been encouraged by US college coaches to play with us for the experience against the older players so perhaps as a new signing for Dartmouth his coach saw no problem and possibly even a benefit playing for us on the weekend.

I have no clue whether he will be available for next Sunday's game but this tournament has always been a problem. In the past we have sent out lineups with 1/2 our regular starters due to this problem. FV Action withdrew because of it so we get a by to the final as the League Champs. Nice for us but crappy for the other guys. Of course a few years ago they made us play TWO games in ONE day to get to the final on Sunday so Karma comes around for us this time. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...