Radzinski hurt, Biello to replace him for WCQ

Massive Attack

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are going to call up an A-league striker to replace Radz (given that getting another Euro striker like Ademolu or even Brilliant from NE at short notice might not be practical), the answer is obvious - Ali Gerba. I'd like to know what they have against him, other than the fact he scores a ton of goals.

Guest Georgio

I agree about Gerba (formerly Ngon right?)

The guy was the leading scorer in the A-League (and I think by a long shot) among eligible Canadians before the Canadian B tournament, and he's ignored??

I've heard great things about him from Calgary supporters too, not just Toronto. That is a mystery.

These types of decisions really need to be questioned. Wouldn't it be nice to have a Voyageur rep from every city who will show up during pre-game preperations for Qualifying games in every city and ask Yallop the top questions asked on this site?

Here's four that I share with some people on this forum:

Why Watson? And then when he gives an answer that sounds like a political soundbite say "No!! really this time Frank, what has Watson got on you, cause no other coach in there right mind would pick this old, slow, recently injured, still unproven international veteran and then <sic> start him over what is available to you?"

Why no consideration for Gerba?

What is actually going on with Brennan?

Are you ignoring Nsaliwa?

beachesl and I talked to Nsaliwa's brother and sister-in-law at the Edmonton FC game this evening (well.. beachesl talked.. I listened)... they were a little surprised that Tam hadn't been called up for the match too.

they seemed really nice... his sister-in-law had a CNT jersey with "Nsaliwa" on the back.. too bad his brother had a Bayern Munich jersey with some Englishman's name. [}:)]

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

beachesl and I talked to Nsaliwa's brother and sister-in-law at the Edmonton FC game this evening (well.. beachesl talked.. I listened)... they were a little surprised that Tam hadn't been called up for the match too.

they seemed really nice... his sister-in-law had a CNT jersey with "Nsaliwa" on the back.. too bad his brother had a Bayern Munich jersey with some Englishman's name. [}:)]

Well, strobe_z, for someone who does awesome grafics and website orgo, you sure have some weird notions of what thread to stick what

post in!:D. You da OT king! I'm up early because I can't sleep thinking about the permutations and perforations of the Wednesday encounter, how about you? I notice you checked out the rumours about Radz's "calve strain" (it's "funny" how many Canadians, Australians and others get the same injury just before mid-week internationals), thought I was pulling your leg, did you?

Yeah, nice jawing with Nsaliwa's family members at half time. They are postive people who really enjoy cheering for the local players like Fraser who played with Nsaliwa.

Whenever I talk to family of players, I am struck by how the players and their families make such incredible sacrifices for the sport at so many levels, and how they can remain so positive. Tam for instance. It's not easy for an Edmonton boy, especially one of colour, to live away from family (and having lived in Africa, I know that family has an essential core of being that we cannot imagine) to live away in a place like Germany (at least Saarbrucken has more open people than some of the other places). The family weren't complaining, but when I mentioned that some of us Voyagers thought Nzaliwa should have been amongst some of the additions, they did mention how difficult it is for players (all, not just their boy) in a lot of situations. Tam comes to play in January and the Olympic qualifiers, suffering grief from his club for the national commitment, and gets criticized by many for not playing up to snuff. Players go to places like Germany because that's the way the coach at the time notices them or gives their playing some credence, and then they see that some of the players staying in the A-League get advanced with the new coach (they recognized that the A-League additions were in good form, again they weren't complaining, they were just discussing matters raised by me). And they know that all the players have similiar challenges, the ones that get called and the ones that don't. And they miss their Tam, their Afro-Canadian love of family almost palpable.

"I am moved by the fancies that are curled

Around these images and cling,

The notion of some infinitely gentle,

Infinitely suffering thing."

-T.S Eliot

One of the family members, (there was more than the ones strobe_z mentioned) asked me if I posted on Voyaguers, and when I said yes, asked me my handle. When I told him, he smiled and said, yeah, he recognized the name. I asked him if he posted, he said no, but he reads it regularly. Confirmation of earlier indications that a heck of a lot more people just read compared to those that post. And, a lot of family and players read. I imagine they read to see what is happening across the spectrum, even if they must laugh sometimes at the speculative, and often simplistic, nature of the comments. Makes one think about the sacred nature of the word, spoken and written, and how we can abuse it so often. Mental note to meself about writing or saying anything: don't be so crass, you are talking about people.

I passed on the best wishes of all Voyaguers to them and Tam, and asked them to tell Tam he is still in our thoughts and plans.

Sorry for blathering on in the wee hours.[:I]

Everybody take a deep cleansing breath....

Ok, now that you have some oxygen in your system, relax!

1)We have many options up front: De Rosario, Pesch, Occean or even Stalteri.[^]

2)Biello is a terrific veteran soccer player. If he plays at the top of his game, he is a very capable midfielder who can also play up front and score. He was never given a chance by Lenarduzzi or Osiek. He came on late in three of his four games with the MNT. In the fourth game he only played the first half.

3)We are playing Guatemala NOT England.

4)For all the complaints that we should have called in a striker from Europe, my question is was any one available? No.

5) We will win because the team, will play as a team. Radzinski is not the entire Men's National Team. It takes 11 players to win a game. We have a very good group on the field.

Feel better yet?

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Well, strobe_z, for someone who does awesome grafics and website orgo, you sure have some weird notions of what thread to stick what

post in!:D. You da OT king! I'm up early because I can't sleep thinking about the permutations and perforations of the Wednesday encounter, how about you? I notice you checked out the rumours about Radz's "calve strain" (it's "funny" how many Canadians, Australians and others get the same injury just before mid-week internationals), thought I was pulling your leg, did you?

First thing I did when I got home was check out this Radz thread... :D

As for OT King... well Georgio said "Are you ignoring Nsaliwa?" so I thought it was a good place to bring it up. Since I didn't actually talk to the family though, I thought I'd stick to a mention and not try to paraphrase what I only half heard, I figured you'd report the content of the discussion.

Anyone know why Ali Ngon changed his name in the first place?

Makes it hard to keep up with him, even harder to understand why he doesn't called up to play with the juniors in 2001 after he started the qualifying games and threw himself about to great effect. No one has ever explained to me why he was dropped for the tournament, although it seems he was given the boot to make room for Dunfield, who was brought in at the last minute to clutter a midfield who now had no one to pass to upfront anyways.

quote:Originally posted by Joe05

I saw Radz leave the field on Saturday. Looked fine. didn't seem to be limping at all. You can see him leave the field in the EPL highlights on sportsworld today

Recall reading a post on this forum a few weeks ago that might have been overlooked by many. Someone who was at the Belize game in Kingston and spoke with him, stated that he was aiming to play something like 6 out of a possible 10 games for WCQ.

The dilema with Canada is that the squad needs very badly. But on the other hand how will others such as Stalteri and DeGuzman ( both playing pro in top tier) feel about this.

I haven't even been counting on Radzinski to show up, in fact my ideal lineup would have Hume and deGuzman starting as attacking midfielders in a 4-5-1 formation, deRosario as the lone striker, Pesch as a super sub, McKenna up from the back if height is needed.

Can't count on the Rat, his heart isn't in it and probably never will be. I'm sure he might tag along should we qualify, but when it comes time to sweat it out in San Salvador you need the big hearted guys like Hume and DeVos to lead the way.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Men's World Cup Team

Saturday, August 14, 2004

Biello Replaces Radzinski Against Guatemala

Mauro Biello

Vancouver, BC – The Canadian Men’s World Cup Team has added Montreal Impact midfielder and captain Mauro Biello to the roster for the semi-final World Cup Qualifier against Guatemala on Wednesday.

Biello will replace Tomasz Radzinski who suffered a calf injury while playing with Fulham against Manchester City on Saturday.

Biello has played four games with the Canadian World Cup team (1999 against Haiti in Gold Cup competition, friendlies against Chile in 1995, Iran in 1997, and Trinidad & Tobago in 2000). He was also called up by the Canadian team for World Cup qualifiers in 1997.

Biello is the Impact’s all-time leading scorer with 55 goals, 53 assists and 163 points in 11 seasons.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1841

:DThank You for the informatiopn guys, we have landed in Canada and are ready.

quote:Originally posted by canso

I haven't even been counting on Radzinski to show up, in fact my ideal lineup would have Hume and deGuzman starting as attacking midfielders in a 4-5-1 formation, deRosario as the lone striker, Pesch as a super sub, McKenna up from the back if height is needed.

Can't count on the Rat, his heart isn't in it and probably never will be. I'm sure he might tag along should we qualify, but when it comes time to sweat it out in San Salvador you need the big hearted guys like Hume and DeVos to lead the way.

I disagree totally. Why would we play a 4-5-1!? So we can be defending all night and play for a 0-0 draw? Maybe if we were playing Brazil, but we're playing the friggin Guats. I don't know if you've heard of Yallops tactics, but he normally likes going all out attack on teams and "see what their defense is all about" (he kept saying it on SoccerCentral) :) And how can't you count on Radz? I know he wasn't committed to our MNT a few years ago when Osieck was running the show, but if you haven't heard lately, Radzinski is all for the Canadian Mens National Team. I'm actually quite impressed with Radzinski's attitude lately, he really wants Canada to make it to the World Cup in Germany, I don't particulary know if its for his self-worth, but I like to think he wants Canada there for the country and Canadian soccer in general!

quote:Originally posted by Timotas

Yeah, he wants to play in a World Cup (who doesn't???), but is not willing to do some sacrifices (as usual). He's shown up in Canada only when he had no conflict and otherwise only for Euro friendlies. He's mentionned thinking he'll play half or LESS of the games if we go all the way. Will we see him in Honduras, at Saprissa or in Mazatenango. I wouldn't put a dime on him making more than ONE of those trips.

He's pulled this "I JUST got injured" crap one too many times. I don't care if he's REALLY injured, he should know the story of the boy who cried wolf.

There can be no doubt that he's the best natural goal scorer we've got on the books, but I don't beleive he's ever going to be fully committed to Canada the same way that Hume or DeVos or even an old goat like Watson are, and I would rather see a lesser talent take his place and play his guts out to get us to the World Cup! Better to keep his name off the team sheet then create uncertainty and dissapointment by selecting him then having to resort to Plan B which undermines the confidence of the players, not to mention the fans. He's a luxury player, not an essential one.

In defence of canso's 4-5-1 idea, a 4-5-1 is not necessarly a defensive formation. It can be ultra-defensive, but it can be an attacking formation too. It all depends on what you do with your 5 midfielders. The difference is really style of attack.

That being said, with Canada's glut of talented strikers, I think we're better off going with a 4-4-2 even with Radzinski and McKenna hurt, Hume suspended and DeRosario possibly less than 100%. If DeRo isn't 100%, I'd start Occean and Pesch and save DeRo for the last 30 minutes if we need a goal at that point. OO can play the Kevin McKenna target man role but he'll need Pesch's help creating space for him or it'll be too easy for the Guat defenders to double up on him and take him out of the match.

Archived