CPSL Week 14

hey short notice!

Stan Adamson

CPSL soccer

News Release

Friday, August 13

BRAMPTON HITMEN HOST LA SANGIORGESE OF ITALY IN SUNDAY AFTERNOON EXHIBITION SOCCER

Italian Serie C2 team La Sangiorgese is in Canada this week and will play an exhibition game with the CPSL defending champions Brampton Hitmen at Victoria Park in Brampton this Sunday, August 15 at 3 p.m.

The team from Calabria is recently promoted and is said to be one of the more attractive sides to watch at the fourth division level.

The La Sangiorgese line-up for the game against the Hitmen will be drawn from the following players:

D’Agostino Virginio (Goalkeeper); Borgese Michelangelo, Furfaro Cristian, Lumicisi Francesco, Raso Domenic, Seminara Gianluigi, Fazari Fabio, Punteri Giuseppe, Spano Omar, Sterrantino Nando, D’Amato Giovanni, Cordi Giuseppe, Tomis Cesare, Longo Maurizio, Milone Michelino, Raso Giorgio, Spinelli Gianluca, Ferraro Virginio.

Coach: Borgese Giovanni

Result of the Saturday August 14th, 2004 CPSL game between Toronto Supra and St Catharines Roma Wolves played at Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke at 4:00pm.

10 min...Supra Adam Pacheco GOAL...Supra Danny Amaral breaks up W defender dribbling and shot from edge of box on right stopped by diving goalie Mike Bekesi. Pacheco gets rebound from 12 yards over fallen goalie and into center of net.

24 min...Supra Danny Amaral GOAL...Supra Adam Pacheco intercepts ball 45 yards on right and races up field, crosses from near 10 yards from end line and finds Amaral all alone. Amaral has time to fake shot and watch goalie sprawl and then shoots 8 yarder into short left side of net.

33 min...Wolves Ian Sinclair GOAL...Wolves Joe Carbonara freekick from right (on retake as the first time he hadn't waited for referee Frank Marcielo's whistle) is low and blocked by crowd of players in box but Sinclair pushes 3 yarder into left corner of net with goalie Michael Silva unable to make play.

35 min...Supra Fabio Silva GOAL...Silva header into net from 7 yards on rush into box.

42 min...Supra Adam Pacheco GOAL...Supra Fabio Silva in center circle feeds ball to Pacheco crossing center line and he runs down right wing, rounds goalie and 10 yard shot from right is into empty net from sharp angle.

47 min...Supra Adam Pacheco GOAL...Supra Robert Fran kicks ball from center line that Supra Danny Amaral tips forward from edge of box. Pacheco connects on short 4 yarder which deflects off goalie, hits leaping Pacheco in head and falls into open net.

58 min...Supra Mikkhail Gouchtchine GOAL...Supra players intercept ball 25 yards out and Gouchtchine shoots 7 yarder into left corner of net.

61 min...Supra Mikkhail Gouchtchine GOAL...Gouchtchine runs into box and dekes Wolves defender and 7 yard shot is just under bar over sprawling goalie.

Final Score:........Toronto Supra...........7............St Catharines Roma Wolves.............1...........

Attendance was about 100 on this warm sunny day.

Supra got more chances so often that I had trouble writing them all down for my detailed report. The Wolves defense was constantly being breached although some Supra plays were held back because the players were afraid of jumping offside. Wolves only looked good in the last 15 minutes when Supra's Alex Apetri was injured and with the team using all their substitutes, they played with ten men to finish the game. The Wolves won some cornerkicks during that time.

Wolves manager Armand DiFruscio said the Wolves were missing four players. Today was the wedding day of former goalie Dino Perri and regular goalie and brother of the groom Claudio Perri was one of those that were absent. Some of the players today would also be heading for the wedding at the end of the game. With the Wolves only winning two games in league games so far this year, they have trouble enough with their regular starters without playing with this makeshift lineup. Supra pass Metro Lions in the standings for first place in the Eastern conference and have only one loss in league play this year.

My more detailed report that I eventually have on my website will not be as detailed as I was operating the scoreboard and making the announcements. I haven't seen an eight goal game this season so I was kept hopping. Supra president Isac Cambas insisted on paying me for the work I did today. "Who says this league is not professional?" I said as I finally pocketed the money.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

"This Week In The CPSL" Show. Saturday mornings.

Again the show was on Vision TV unannounced. It is incorporated in part of some Sikh/Punjabi show and comes on from 11:35am and runs to Noon. Then for me it was flip over to Rogers Sportsnet to catch the season premier of Soccer Central.

I don't know when there are any repeat broadcasts.

I've been trying to find information on this La Sangiorgese team and it seems that they play indoor soccer, and not in the regular Italian soccer pyramid. I couldn't find Sangiorgese in the list of teams in the upcoming Serie C1 or C2 or even in Serie D. I did find a team called La Sangiorgese that plays "Calcio A 5" in the B/C division. That must be the team that Brampton is playing.

Result of the Sunday August 15th, 2004 CPSL game between Metro Lions and London City played at Birchmount Stadium in Scarborough at 6:00pm.

17 min...Lions Craig Patton GOAL...Patton holds off defender after getting cross from left and his 10 yard shot from right is into left corner of net.

39 min...Lions Gabriel Salustius GOAL...Salustius given though ball and he goes around defender and by the ball too but has time to run to left and cut in 5 yard shot past diving goalie Haidar Al-Shaibani. Salustius was injured on the play. City Adam St Laurant drew a Yellow card for pushing him over.

65 min...Lions Gregory Messam GOAL...Lions Maxim Dorneval runs in from left wing and crosses into box past goalie has Messam and another Lions player available for tap-in from 2 yards.

69 min...City Paul Munster GOAL...Munster backheels ball to City Nathan Greene from left, Green feeds ball forward on left for Munster to rush up and kick 12 yard shot to right side of net beyond goalie Courtney Campbell.

87 min...City Miguel Knox GOAL...City Fred Nunziata runs up right wing and rolls cross through box that City Paul Munster misses but Knox waiting on left of post shoots in from 8 yards.

A long 3 minutes of regular time and 3 minutes of time added on finally ends.

Final Score:...........Metro Lions..........3............London City..............2............

Attendance was about 100 on this warm early evening.

Lions looked good for long patches of the first half until the last five minutes. They dominated the second half for 10 minutes until just after their third goal then City came alive. City made a few unforced errors or they could have pulled out a tie.

It was a mixed performance for Paul Munster the league's leading scorer as he scored one and missed one that a teammate ended up blasting in to make it a close game. Otherwise earlier in the game he seemed to be slipping around on the slippery field and drew a Yellow card for booting a ball well over the net long after an offside whistle with City still three goals down. City had trouble moving the ball over the centre line for the first 40 minutes of the game.

Lions winger Gregory Messam was just dropped from the A-League Toronto Lynx roster last week as the team had passed the maximum seven player import rule. Messam is a Jamaican. He was used as a defender by the Lynx the few times he played but the Lions used him on the wing and he just flew up the lines as the faster player on the field at times.

Lions win draw them back even with an identical record as Toronto Supra in the Eastern Conference. Lions next game is Thursday the 19th at 7:00pm against Brampton Hitmen. The league home game on Sunday September 12th against Hamilton Thunder has been postponed so the Lions can play a special exhibition game against Portmore FC who were the Jamaican champions in 2003. Special starting time is 4:00pm for that one.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I've been trying to find information on this La Sangiorgese team and it seems that they play indoor soccer, and not in the regular Italian soccer pyramid. I couldn't find Sangiorgese in the list of teams in the upcoming Serie C1 or C2 or even in Serie D. I did find a team called La Sangiorgese that plays "Calcio A 5" in the B/C division. That must be the team that Brampton is playing.

There is an outdoor team as well. Sangiorgese played in the Prima Categoria Calabrese (8th tier) last season. They are from San Giorgio Morgeto, a town of about 3,000-4,000 people in the province of Reggio Calabria. There is an article (in Italian) about their visit to Canada here.

I guess if Brampton can call themselves "Canadian champions" it's not a big deal to exaggerate about this friendly. [xx(]

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

I just found the CPSL press release regarding the CPSL Weekly Show. I will definetly be watching this Saturday at 11:30am.

I guess you can't decide whether to completely dump the league just yet, eh Sigma? ;)

Archived