Aug 13/14 - Toronto vs/at Syracuse [R]

Result of the Friday August 13th, 2004 A-League game between Toronto Lynx and Syracuse Salty Dogs played at Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke at 8:00pm.

20 min...Lynx Ali Gerba GOAL...Lynx Vinicius Brito rushes in on right and eludes two defenders and rolls pass from 12 yards on right for Gerba to boot in 7 yarder low with goalie Byron Foss getting hand to it but momentum rolls it through his arms into center of net.

31 min...Lynx Darren Baxter GOAL...Lynx Ali Gerba on left sends pass on header forward to Baxter along on left and Baxter chips goalie from 18 yards and ball bounces into center of net.

35 min...Lynx Shawn Faria called for hand ball on right side just inside box. Referee Yves Plante immediately called a Penalty kick.

36 min...Salty Dogs Rene Rivas GOAL...Rivas on Penalty kick slides low shot to right side of net with goalie Bryheem Hancock sprawling to left side.

56 min...Salty Dogs Tim O'Neill GOAL...SD Matthew Barnes-Homer rushes on left sideline and pushes ball ahead to O'Neill whose 5 yard shot from left is into short left side of net.

60 min...Lynx John Barry Nusum GOAL...Nusum given long pass down left line from Lynx Mayard (?) and Nusum lofts 20 yard shot that leaping goalie gets to but can't push ball over net while 10 yards out.

88 min...Salty Dogs Machel Millwood GOAL...Millwood from left sideline rushes toward goal and around defender and 89 yard shot is into low right side of net.

97 min...Lynx goalie Bryheem Hancock pulls down SD Jonathon Steele on SD give and go as ball bounces through Lynx box and probably would have been out of play. Referee immediately points to the Penalty spot. Steele then immediately fakes injury. The teams start a brief pushing match.

98 min...Salty Dogs Rene Rivas GOAL...Rivas Penalty kick is into left side of net just inside of post as goalie dives left.

Final Score:...............Toronto Lynx.......3 (OT)...............Syracuse Salty Dogs............4 (OT).........

Attendance was announced as 2553 on this warm evening. The game was played on a slippery wet field which caused both teams a lot of sliding around. The start of the game was delayed so the ground crew could shovel sand onto the mud in the south end 6 yard box. The game was broadcast on Fox Sportsworld. This was the only appearance this year for the Lynx on the network and would certainly have to go in the books as an exciting game after last week's 0-0 overtime draw between Montreal and Rochester. I changed some of my comments on players involved in the goals after playing through the tape. The theme tonight was Mascot Night and a halftime mini game was held. The referee would probably have red carded Carlton The Bear (Toronto Maple Leafs) for dishing out hip checks.

The Lynx were only a few minutes away from winning but couldn't hold the lead by letting Machel Millwood squeeze through to get his shot away at 88 minutes. Darren Baxter played tonight as the second forward in the first half beside Ali Gerba who tied the Lynx goal scoring record for most-goals in a season. Baxter moved back to midfield when John Barry Nusum came on to start the first half. Lynx Brazilian players Edmilson and Vinicius Brito only played the first half.

The two teams meet up again tomorrow in Syracuse.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TORONTO LYNX GAME REPORT

presented by Heineken

Salty Dogs Rally To Beat Lynx in Overtime

Rivas Nets a Pair to Pace Syracuse Comeback

Date: Friday, August 13, 2004

Venue: Centennial Park Stadium, Etobicoke, Ontario

Attendance: 2,553

Kick off Time: 8:00 PM

Final Score: Syracuse 4 Toronto 3 OT

Match Summary:

Riding the momentum of a strong performance in a win over the playoff-bound Vancouver Whitecaps, the Toronto Lynx headed into Friday's match against the Syracuse Salty Dogs in the front end of a home-and-home series. In front of 2,553 exuberant fans at Centennial Park Stadium on the Lynx Annual Mascot Night with Ethan Zohn, star of "Survivor All-Stars" and "Survivor Africa" was on hand as the Lynx tried to keep their slim playoff hopes alive. The Salty Dogs came in riding a 9-game unbeaten streak and are tied with Atlanta for the 4th and final postseason birth in the Eastern Conference. Both teams started slow with most of the play in the midfield area but the Lynx controlled the ball the majority of the first half with crisp passing and stiffling defence. Toronto opened the scoring in the 21st minute when Vinicius Britto exploded by a defender and sent a splendid ball to a wide open Ali Gerba for the tap in, his team-leading 13th goal of the season, tying the Lynx single-season scoring mark set by Francisco Dos Santos in 1999. Toronto added to their lead in the 32nd minute, this time it was Gerba that used a nifty header past a defender and onto the foot of Darren Baxter who chipped a ball over 'Dogs 'keeper Byron Foss and into the goal for a 2-nil Toronto lead. Syracuse finally got on the board in the 36th minute when Shawn Faria was charged with a hand-ball in the penalty area resulting in a penalty kick. Rene Rivas stepped up and calmly found the low right corner to cut the deficit to 2-1 at halftime. Syracuse came out of the locker room with some jump to their step and came close to equalizing in the 49th minute when Machel Millwood displayed great footwork and launched a low ball from just outside the box but it was stopped by a diving Bryheem Hancock. The Lynx would not be as lucky in the 57th minute, when Rene Rivas found Tim O'Neill with a sensational cross and that tied the match at 2. Toronto regained the lead minutes later when John Barry Nusum won a foot race down the left side and chipped a ball over a charging Foss, giving the Lynx a 3-2 lead. The 'Dogs continued to press with 2 golden chances in the 70th minute, Rivas with the first followed by Millwood, both denied by a sharp Bryheem Hancock. Just as the Lynx were poised for another victory, Syracuse leveled the score in the 89th minute courtesy Machel Millwood. His dazzling ball control undressed two defenders on the left side of the box as he slipped a left footer inside the right post to tie the match and send it to overtime. Eight minutes into the extra period, Hancock was called for a tackle on a Syracuse defender inside the penalty area resulting in another Syracuse penalty kick. Rene Rivas hesitated before placing the game-winner inside the left post past a diving Hancock to complete the comeback and send the Lynx home empty handed. With the win the Salty Dogs take over sole possession of the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference while the Lynx fall to 8-13-1 on the season. Toronto will meet the Virginia Beach Mariners on Wednesday, August 18th at 7:30pm for Coaches Appreciation Night at Centennial Park Stadium.

Highlights:

1st Half

21st min: Miguel Britto with an explosive burst inside the penalty area by a defender and sent a perfect cross to a wide open Ali Gerba who tapped it in, 1-0.

32nd min: Ali Gerba with a neat header past a defender and to the foot of Darren Baxter who chipped a ball over Keeper Byron Foss and into the goal, 2-0.

36th min: Hand ball in the penalty area by Shawn Faria resulted in a penalty kick...Rene Rivas with a low shot into the bottom right corner, 2-1.

43rd min: Tim O'Neill with a fine individual effort to get by a defender but he whistled the shot wide of the left post.

2nd Half

49th min: Machel Millwood with great footwork launched a low ball from just outside the box that was stopped by a diving Hancock.

57th min: Rene Rivas with a great cross to Tim O'Neill for the easy tap in, 2-2.

61st min: John Barry Nusum wins the foot race down the left side and chips a ball over a charging Byron Foss, 3-2.

78th min: Darren Baxter inside the box with some nifty moves got the shot off from the right corner but it went just over the crossbar.

89th min: Millwood undressed 2 defenders before sliding a left footer just inside the right post, 3-3.

Overtime

98th min: Hancock tackled a defender inside the penalty area that resulted in a penalty kick...Rivas delivered for the second time in the match beating a diving Hancock with a ball into the low left corner, 4-3 final.

Final Score: Syracuse 4 Toronto 3 OT

Lineups:

Syracuse: Foss, Lyssand, Schweitzer, Sanfilippo, Low (Dore, 73rd min), O'Neill (Suarez, 83rd min), Rivas, Woan, Steele, Maher (Barnes-Homer, 55th min), Millwood

Toronto: Hancock, Faria, Baxter, Bartolomeu, DeCarvalho (DiPlacido, 45th min), Britto (Nusum, 45th min), Miguel, Dodds, Mayard, Gerba (Gbeke, 73rd min), Mattacchione, Arango (Hansor, 64th min)

Cautions: Syr: Steele (56th minute), Suarez (90th minute) Tor:

Ejections: None

Shots: Syr: 12 Tor: 9

Saves: Syr: 1 Tor: 2

Fouls: Syr: 26 Tor: 12

Scorers: Syr: Rivas (36th minute), O'Neill (57th minute), Millwood (89th

minute), Rivas (98th minute) Tor: Gerba (21st minute), Baxter (32nd

minute), Nusum (61st minute)

The Lynx next home game is Wednesday, August 18th at 7:30 pm versus the Virginia Beach Mariners.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:

DAVID NUTT, MEDIA RELATIONS

416-251-4625 ext. 30

The rematch was tough too...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TORONTO LYNX GAME REPORT

presented by Heineken

'Dogs Sweep Lynx in Weekend Series

Syracuse extend unbeaten streak to 11 games

Date: Saturday, August 14, 2004

Venue: P&C Stadium, East Syracuse, NY

Attendance: 7,669

Kick off Time: 7:30 PM

Final Score: Syracuse 1 Toronto 0 OT

Match Summary: Coming off a very disappointing overtime loss to the Syracuse Salty Dogs last night in Toronto, the Lynx traveled to P&C Stadium tonight looking for some revenge in the back end of a home-and-home series. In stark contrast to last night's wide open 4-3 'Dogs win, tonight's match up was a hard-noised defensive struggle. After last night's exhausting battle, Lynx Head Coach, Duncan Wilde, opted for fresh legs to begin the game, making 7 charges to his starting lineup for tonight's rematch. Despite being badly out shot, Lynx 'keeper Bryheem Hancock and his defense held firm, frustrating the 'Dogs attackers time and again. Neither team was able to manage a goal so, for the second time in two nights, the team's would head for extra time to settle the battle. Fresh off tying the Lynx single season scoring record in last night's match, striker Ali Gerba nearly set the new mark and sent the 7,669 fans in attendance home empty handed with two great opportunities in the first overtime period. In the 96th minute, his blast was handled brilliantly by 'Dogs 'keeper, Byron Foss, and 2 minutes later his header from close range sailed over the crossbar. Just as the match appeared headed for a draw, 'Dogs substitute striker, Anthony Maher, was able to fire a shot from 25-yards through a crowd and into the back of the Lynx net for the second straight 'Dogs overtime win. The loss drops the Lynx record to 8-14-1, while the win extends the 'Dogs unbeaten streak to 11 games and propels them into 3rd place in the Eastern Conference. The Lynx are back in action this Wednesday, August 18th when they celebrate Coaches Appreciation Night and host the Virginia Beach Mariners at Centennial Park Stadium for a 7:30 kickoff.

Final Score: Syracuse 1 Toronto 0 OT

Lineups:

Syracuse: Foss, Lyssand, Rivas, Schweitzer, Low (Carabajal 62), O'Neill (Maher 68), Sanfilippo, Steele (Suarez 78), Woan, Millwood (Vendegh 68), Barnes-Homer (Dore 89)

Toronto: Hancock, Mattacchione, O'Connor (Prostran 77), Blois, Steele (Arango 68), Munthali, Faria, DiPlacido, Dodds (Mayard 45), Nusum (Handsor 87), Gbeke (Gerba 59)

Cautions: Syr: Schweitzer, Maher Tor: Munthali, Faria, DiPlacido

Ejections: None

Shots: Syr: 22 Tor: 6

Saves: Syr: 5 Tor: 10

Fouls: Syr: 21 Tor: 21

Scorers: Syr: Maher (Vendegh) 107th minute

The Lynx next home game is Wednesday, August 18th at 7:30 pm versus the Virginia Beach Mariners.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:

DAVID NUTT, MEDIA RELATIONS

416-251-4625 ext. 30

Ok that penalty call was so bad it was unbelievable. The player did this hige dive where he practically jumped three feet up into the air with his hands towards the sky. After the game me and my friend threw a bottle at the ref and it almost hit his bald head but he blocked it. Then some crazy Russian guy was like swearing in Russian and going crazy. That call ruined any chnce of us going to the play-offs.

Dumb Lynx though letting a 2 goal lead and a 3-2 lead diminish.

I could tell you I was there. I watched a good portion of the game. Unfortunately I didn't see the end of the match, although I did speak with a few of the guys before the game.

I actually thought they did well. The finishing wasn't there. Blame the turf...blame tired legs...blame anything or anyone else....it wasn't the demonstation of defending we saw on FSWC the night before (and don't let the shooting stats confuffle your brains...it wasn't that bad from the bit that I saw...till 75th min or so).

I've never said anything about the team nor the coaches publicly but this is the feeling I get. Things can't be good (anyone looking in from the outside should pick this up). I personally think that after having such lofty expectations (playoffs at least) dashed more than 1 month before the season was finished (call it the overtime loss to Richmond) you'll have to be dissapointed. It's unfortunate but that's just how it goes. I'm not sure what's going to happen but I'm sure there will be pressure put on the owners/management of the Lynx to do much better next year.

Just my 2 cents on what I've seen and witnessed.

Archived