Less EPL on Fox Sports World Canada

Rivaldo

It looks like they will only be showing one EPL game on Sundays this year. For example, no Chelsea vs. Man United this weekend. I don't see the EPL Highlights Show on their schedule either. This a major reduction in their coverage. I don't know if I'm going to keep subscribing.

On the plus side, they did show a German League highlights show a couple of nights ago.

I noticed that. Quite pissed.

And they better damn well have the EPL Highlights show. That was perfect. Instead of annoying commentators who take away any suspense by telling you what you are about to see, the highlights show generally shows a few minutes of game action from each match, using only the match commentator.

They also had a French League highlights show which I really enjoyed. I'm hopeful that they'll have the EPL one as well. I see sportsnet just added the Sunday game (Manure-Chelski).

Keep in mind that the sked for FSWC have been pretty spotty lately, either the one you download from the website or in you preview ahead with your remote (like I do on digital). There was not mention of the German and French highlight shows and my index showed that it was MLS soccer at the time they were on.

There's been rumors that the second Sunday game is to be pay per view, I wonder if this is a one off for Sportsnet.

The following link (click link on bottom right of page)lists the rating for all Sportsnet programs, EPL (82,000) looks to be doing quite well compared to other nationally televised sports:

CURLING semifinal (234,000)

NASCAR (118,000)

MLB (90,000)

NBA (60,000)

NBA Playoffs (71,000)

AHL (60,000)

http://www.sportsnetsales.ca/national_fapremier.htm

I've noticed that year over year, the coverage has been better in Canada as a whole. I remember a few years back you would literally only get the Man U or Liverpool games. I've enjoyed seeing more Arsenal and other fixtures recently on Sundays and the usual Saturdays.

I really agree with the highlight show comments, It was great. Maybe they are just waiting for the season to get going so they actually have something to show. I hope.

Here's what someone on BigSoccer posted:

quote:There was a contract "issue" between Global TV (owner and operator of FOX Sports World Canada) and FOX Sports International.

(Translation: Global TV didn't pay FOX enough money)

As a result, FOX Sports World Canada does NOT have the Sunday 11am ET/8am PT EPL match. Those matches will be on pay-per-view in Canada starting August 22.

The August 15 Chelsea vs Man U match will air on Rogers Sportsnet.

No word yet on where the EPL highlights show will air in Canada.

PPV. blech. [xx(]

Anybody know anything about the Monday or Wednesday games, and whether FSWC will still be showing them? I didn't see anything in the immediate schedule. One game on Sunday I can live with (given Sportsnet's Saturday coverage), but only one game a *week* on FSWC (and potentially no highlights show) would be a big comedown from previous years.

English Premiership fans may be disappointed with FSWC showing one less game per week (I doubt they will drop their midweek games - if FSW in the US will have access to them then so will FSWC), but kudos to FSWC for continuing to show two Bundesliga games per week while FSW has dropped to one per week. This allows us Canadian fans a greater opportunity to catch our Canadian players playing in Germany.

As long as FSWC gives its viewers variety, I'll be happy.

So instead of a second EPL game Sunday FSWC is showing a German league game live (Bochum v Bayer L I believe). I don't think that Sportsnet will pick up that second game on Sunday too often. My belief is they think picking up such a tasty fixture will more than make up for any cost. Probably a good move on their part. One interesting note is that according to the FSW schedule, the US doesn't get the Everton v Arse game live, but on tape delay.

I'm still more than happy with FSWC because I enjoy watching the EPL, the Bundesliga, MLS and Ligue 1. I'm hopeful that they keep the EPL highlights show this year and continue with the French and German league highlight shows that were on last week.

EPL is FSW's marquee property. I'll be very disappointed if they cut back. Two EPL games Sunday morning was the major reason I subscribed. The Sunday night EPL Review Show became regular viewing, it's solid action, and I'll miss that too. It looks like they will have a few more mid-week EPL games, but for anyone with a day job that's not much consolation.

It's nice to have the option of watching the German League and some French coverage in addition to TV5's, but the quality of those leagues just doens't match the big 3, and I find I don't watch them much except to follow the Canadian born players.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Speaking of the German league, it appears FSW is NOT showing the Saturday 9:30 Bundesliga games anymore. And in Germany the best games are almost always played on Saturdays.

Your first sentence is true but your second is a load of rubbish IMHO. There's always more games played on Saturdays but you can't say they are better games.

Speaking of the German league, it appears FSW is NOT showing the Saturday 9:30 Bundesliga games anymore. And in Germany the best games are almost always played on Saturdays.

Actually, FSWC showed the Saturday game Schalke-Kaiserslautern at 7 AM (EST) Sunday morning. It looks like they will be broadcasting 2 Bundesliga games every Sunday morning.

quote:Originally posted by Metro

Actually, FSWC showed the Saturday game Schalke-Kaiserslautern at 7 AM (EST) Sunday morning. It looks like they will be broadcasting 2 Bundesliga games every Sunday morning.

Yeah, I forgot about the Tri-Nations Rugby tournament. Presumably when that finishes (next week) FSW will show a Bundesliga match on Saturdays again.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Your first sentence is true but your second is a load of rubbish IMHO. There's always more games played on Saturdays but you can't say they are better games.

Well, since FSW has 7 games to choose from on Saturdays and only 2 to choose from on Sundays, wouldn't you say the chosen Saturday games would overall have to be better? Simple probability theory here ...

Yeah, I forgot about the Tri-Nations Rugby tournament. Presumably when that finishes (next week) FSW will show a Bundesliga match on Saturdays again.

Well, since FSW has 7 games to choose from on Saturdays and only 2 to choose from on Sundays, wouldn't you say the chosen Saturday games would overall have to be better? Simple probability theory here ...

I don't know, but it always seemed to me that the big Bundesliga matches were always on Saturdays.

quote:Originally posted by Metro

I don't know, but it always seemed to me that the big Bundesliga matches were always on Saturdays.

Most of the time, the reason there is a match or two on Sundays is to accomodate clubs playing in mid-week European competitions. Therefore it is only natural that the best teams play on Sunday.

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

Most of the time, the reason there is a match or two on Sundays is to accomodate clubs playing in mid-week European competitions. Therefore it is only natural that the best teams play on Sunday.

Nope, the better clubs in Germany almost always play on Saturday. Always have always will. Even when they have a mid-week Champions League game to play.

Archived