can someone tell me

quote:Originally posted by bear in the big blue hous

how the canadian national side compares to the USA team. Obviously you guys are bound to be biased - do they play each other regularly? i have seen some games from the US league on english tv - the standard there seems ok to me.

USA is a powerhouse team in CONCACAF. Canada has loads of potential,

but USA now has the experience and money to retain its World Top-20

status. I even think they surpassed Mexico.

Canada has not played USA since a friendly in 2003 (?), where it was essentially a Canada B Team. Canada lost 4-0 in Miami.

We'll see as we meet them in the next round.

Last full squad game was 2002 Gold Cup in Los Angeles. 0-0 tie, and the U.S. advanced on a penalty shoot out. The US carried the play and the game could have easily been 2-0 or 3-0 but with a bit of luck and good goalkeeping from Lars Hirschfeld we managed to hold them to a 0-0 draw.

I'd just like to add that our U-20 side that advanced to the quarterfinals of the World Youth Championships last year in the United Arab Emirates really had the US U-20 team's number. We beat them in their own ground in qualifying (though the US still advanced to the finals in 2nd place) and handed them their butts on a platter in a couple of friendlies prior to qualifying.

The US will always have more depth than us, so they'll always be able to better weather the inevitable injuries and suspensions in a long qualifying campaign, but we're closing the competitiveness gap with them.

Archived