Blatter backs China as World Cup host

Luis_Rancagua

Blatter backs China as World Cup host

First Published: Aug 10, 2004

FIFA President Sepp Blatter has thrown his support behind China one day hosting the World Cup, praising its efforts at the just completed Asian Cup.

"After hosting the 2008 Olympic Games, I am sure China will be a good World Cup host," he was quoted as saying by the leading People's Daily.

"But since FIFA has ruled in 2002 that the World Cup will be rotated in the six continents, it takes time for China to stage the World Cup."

Football officials have suggested that China's growth as an economic super-power makes the country a firm favourite to stage the next Asian World Cup, probably in 2018.

China made its World Cup debut at the 2002 World Cup jointly hosted by South Korea and Japan, losing all three of its matches.

But Blatter, who attended the opening ceremony of the Asian Cup in Beijing, said he had great confidence that Chinese football was on the fast track to success.

China made the Asian Cup final for the first time in 20 years, losing 3-1 Saturday to arch rival Japan.

"China has 1.4 billion people and they have professional football, Cup competitions and they will also host the Women's World Cup. We have confidence in Chinese football," he said.

Blatter brushed off concern over the ugly scenes that marred the final, saying it was "understandable".

"Those are human errors," he said. "That's part of football."

After the match pockets of Chinese fans burned Japanese flags in the street and others confronted armed riot police, shouting anti-Japanese obscenities and demanding a boycott of Japanese goods.

A car carrying a Japanese embassy official was attacked.

I wouldn't read too much into this. FIFA wants to move to a rotation system if I understand correctly and with Korea/Japan having hosted 2002 I can't really see them returning to Asia before 2018 - 2006 Germany, 2010 South Africa, 2014 somewhere in the Americas (likely U.S. or Brazil) - and that's if they actually stop giving it to Europe every second time.

Not that I'm against China hosting. They are definately an emerging soccer power and I won't be surprised if they're a force to be reckoned with in a decade or so. Like I said after Beijing got the Olympics (and I live in the GTA): you can't call the event a global championship and just keep ignoring one sixth of the world's population. China is modernizing very rapidly and could do a very, very good job hosting after their experience with the Olympics finished. One can only hope that there is a higher degree of political openness by that time as well but if Argentina (under the Generals) can host then preventing China would be purely political in itself.

Mike.

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

I wouldn't read too much into this. FIFA wants to move to a rotation system if I understand correctly and with Korea/Japan having hosted 2002 I can't really see them returning to Asia before 2018 - 2006 Germany, 2010 South Africa, 2014 somewhere in the Americas (likely U.S. or Brazil) - and that's if they actually stop giving it to Europe every second time.

Actually you are reading into it what is intended. The article doesn't say anything different as it is also talking about 2018. It was just the right time for talking about China hosting a WC because they just hosted the Asian Cup (successfully, except for some "fans" getting out of control).

Archived