Would people like S.American soccer on SPNET?

Dante79

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Just because you have many argentine friends it doesn't mean that Canada has a large hispanic community.

Amacpher is right, the hispanic community in Canada is small. In the 2001 census, the 213,000 people were listed as spanish in their ethnic background and 41,000 being from latin america. Campare that to the Italians, Germans, Chinese and Ukrainians (sp?) which were all over 1 million.

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/products/highlight/ETO/Table1.cfm?Lang=E&T=501&GV=1&GID=0

But not only south american would watch the games! dont forget that brazilian soccer is one of the best in the world! and there leagues could compete very well with the big Euro leagues! why you think Boca Juniors from Argentina won the Intercontinental cup! beating AC Milan!

quote:Originally posted by Dante79

dont forget that brazilian soccer is one of the best in the world! and there leagues could compete very well with the big Euro leagues! why you think Boca Juniors from Argentina won the Intercontinental cup! beating AC Milan!

This debate is becoming circular. You're putting too much emphasis on the quality of the league. Nobody is questioning that those leagues are good. Just like the New Zealand domestic rugby league might be damn good, but its not gonna be televised on Canada's main sports network. Guess why.

I know it might never be televised on Canadian tv! I was just saying it would be a good idea! there isnt just european soccer in the world! I would also like better to see the Serie A before watching the EPL!

I know it might never be televised on Canadian tv! I was just saying it would be a good idea! there isnt just european soccer in the world!

Personally I would trade all South american soccer currently shown of FSWC if they could instead show the Copa Libertadores extensively. It's the more prestigious tournament and that way there would be a greater variety of teams to watch (not just Boca or River every week).

quote: Just because you have many argentine friends it doesn't mean that Canada has a large hispanic community.

Amacpher is right, the hispanic community in Canada is small. In the 2001 census, the 213,000 people were listed as spanish in their ethnic background and 41,000 being from latin america. Campare that to the Italians, Germans, Chinese and Ukrainians (sp?) which were all over 1 million.

Since when does population statistics have anything to do with it? How many Canadians live in Canada? How often do we see Canadian domestic games on Sportsnet?:D

Isn't FOX CANADA basically a soccer/rugby channel right now. Maybe I'm missing the team handball or Greek Basketball, but I doubt it. They have what it seems endless Brazillian And Argentine Games on.

It's isronic that only in SEPERATIST Quebec can you watch the A-league on basic cable. RDS.

It time for the West to become more like Quebec and demand Canadian content on TSN. Rise Up!

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

It time for the West to become more like Quebec and demand Canadian content on TSN. Rise Up!

:D:D:D

There's was a saying around here during the last wave of Alberta sereratist rantings about how instead of seperating, Alberta and Quebec should just kick out Ontario and then everyone would be happy.

I know it might never be televised on Canadian tv! I was just saying it would be a good idea! there isnt just european soccer in the world! I would also like better to see the Serie A before watching the EPL!

Dante79, just to be clear: you do realize that Argentine, Brazilian and Italian soccer are already shown on Canadian television, right? I also prefer to watch these leagues over the EPL, but there really is no reason for them to be on Sportsnet (besides, they get better treatment on their current channels than they would on Sportsnet).

They have what it seems endless Brazillian And Argentine Games on.

FSWC has only one or two Brazilian games per week, though they do tend to repeat them fairly often in the summer. They have only one Argentine game per week, and that often goes without a repeat. If there's endless coverage of anything on FSWC, it's the EPL (by far). [xx(]

It's isronic that only in SEPERATIST Quebec can you watch the A-league on basic cable. RDS.

That's not true. Every Lynx home game was shown on Rogers Television in Toronto up until the end of July. That was actually more games than what the Impact are getting on RDS. And then if you want to count coverage and not just full matches, the Whitecaps get a weekly program on Sportsnet and local cable.

Glad I missed that. I stopped watching the show 4 episodes in, I couldn't stand it anymore. Thats saying a lot for me, being the tape hound that I am.

It was far better when they stuck to local cable and would broadcast full games. Most horrible thing about Whitecaps this week is that Dolan and Schaad pretend they are calling the game live when really the only thing they do live is the pre-game interview and maybe a halftime interview. The play by play they do afterwards in the studio. Then they can make great comments like "Xausa is looking pretty good, it looks like he may score soon" knowing full well he scores 45 seconds later. Makes them look like geniuses.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

[br Every Lynx home game was shown on Rogers Television in Toronto up until the end of July. That was actually more games than what the Impact are getting on RDS.

Perhaps. But there is a huge difference in production quality and public perception/acceptance between the Rogers Channell and RDS that you really can't compare. Rogers 10 is a community chanell with low cost programming and I think that its safe to say that very few people scan their TV guides to see whats on the Rogers community channell on a given night. Speaking for myself, If i didn't have a Lynx pockey schedule or didn't hear about it on this forum, I would never know that the Lynx games are on that channell. Whereas as RDS is sports channelled followed by all sportsfans in the Quebec market.

Archived